Beyerdynamic DT990 250 Pro - Amp or Soundcard?
Apr 17, 2014 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Codemanster0

New Head-Fier
So I recently got the Beyerdynamic DT990 250 Pro headphones and I've been reading a lot about them since I'm new to the higher-end world of audio. 
I've seen a lot of people suggesting that others buy sound cards or amps or dacs or something like that.  Like I said, I'm new to this stuff and  so I still don't fully understand the difference between the 3. Keep in mind that I want to use these headphones for my PC as well as be able to take them on the road with me and use them with my iPod.  

I already spent a bit more than  I would have liked to buy purchasing these headphones but I do really like them.
I figure that I don't mind forking forward a bit more money though since I feel like these will last me a long time.

So I've got a few questions:

1.  Do I need a Soundcard AND an amp, or just one?

2.  Will the Soundcard and/or amp make the audio sound better or just increase the maximum volume that it can reach?

3.  Will I need a soundcard/amp in order to get these headphones to achieve 7.1 surround sound?
   (I'm not even sure if that question makes sense since I've read places that 5.1/7.1 is irrelevant with headphones)

4. Will a Soundcard/amp increase the amount of base that comes through these? Because currently there isn't much bass at all.

Also when I mention surround sound, an example of what i'm trying to achieve is being able to hear footsteps in a video game and being able to tell exactly where they are coming from (I know that left/right of course is basic but I mean more so like knowing if it's coming from my Front-Right or Back-Right and being able to closely pinpoint it)

Here is the mobo that I'm currently plugging the headphones into: 
Asus Sabertooth z77 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back