Beyerdynamic DT880s options
Feb 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

wmf

100+ Head-Fier
Im pretty much "almost" decided on these phones. Will be used mainly on the PC, which has a Creative Titanium Fatal1ty Pro sound card. mostly for gaming 75/80%, 20/25 music.
My question is mainly impedence where it seems u can get 32, 250 and 600 ohm versions of the DT880. I would be happy to stick with the 32ohm version if i knew it would be fine unamped. consensus around here says that the 600 ohm version phone is better.

Now if i went down the 600ohm track, what amp options are there, around $300-400, dont really want to spend any more. Do portable amps have enough juice to run gear like the 600ohm 880 >?, seeing as though they are powered by batteries. My first option would be the 32ohm, to run unamped if possible, but if its going to be quite a difference in quality, ill look at the higher 250, 600 phones. If someone thinks even the DT990s or even the 325i's, would even be better, i'd like to hear those opinions/reasons.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 24
They all need an amp no matter which one you get......The headamp AE2 will do a pretty good job at driving any of them.......not the last word in driving them, but at your price range, I don't think an amp is going to drive them any better. If you catch the gilmore lite on sale, or in the f/s section, that would be even better.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 24
yep thanks. i wouldnt attempt to run either unamped. i was mainly concerned at the possible drop in sound quality of the 32ohm version going unamped compared to the others.
if its not dramatic, i stick with 32ohm.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They all need an amp no matter which one you get......The headamp AE2 will do a pretty good job at driving any of them.......not the last word in driving them, but at your price range, I don't think an amp is going to drive them any better. If you catch the gilmore lite on sale, or in the f/s section, that would be even better.

thanks. actually i could stretch it to the Gilmour Lite. : P

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 24
Or an Audio-GD C-2, or maybe the Audio-GD FUN. They should both drive the DT880 600 Ohm pretty well.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
32 Ohm is good enough for that sound card. There are no sonic differences between ohmages.

I disagree completely. The different impedance versions of the DT880 have slight differences in the drivers, and do sound a little different from each other. I have owned each of them. We're not talking about something like the difference in wire only - the voice coils are wound differently.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 24
DT880/250 was weak and anemic with the C-2C in my experience. I would avoid that and look at a tube amp for 250/600 instead. I use the Thunderbolt Max with my 250s, and it also sounds very good. Much better than the C-2C with these phones.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree completely. The different impedance versions of the DT880 have slight differences in the drivers, and do sound a little different from each other. I have owned each of them. We're not talking about something like the difference in wire only - the voice coils are wound differently.

Of course, different impedance would require different amping. Even on the same amp, volume must be adjusted, which could produce minute differences perceived as differences in the headphones themselves. I do know that the drivers are different, but I do not believe that beyer would make the high impedance versions sound "better" than the lower counterparts. Even the A1 self-adjusts the volume could produce differences.
(Say my amp can drive the 32 ohm quite comfortably. I put the volume on maximum to get the same SPL for the 600 ohm version. Would the 600 ohm sound "better"?)

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 24
Well, Beyer clearly must think the 600 ohm drivers have something going for them, since that is what they used for their high-end T1.

And when used with an amp capable of driving them, I felt the 600 ohm versions were superior. That said, I've only had one 32 ohm pair, and didn't notice much difference between those and the 250 ohm version. I did think they were a tiny bit veiled compared with the 250 ohm versions, but this was very subtle.

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Of course, different impedance would require different amping. Even on the same amp, volume must be adjusted, which could produce minute differences perceived as differences in the headphones themselves. I do know that the drivers are different, but I do not believe that beyer would make the high impedance versions sound "better" than the lower counterparts. Even the A1 self-adjusts the volume could produce differences.
(Say my amp can drive the 32 ohm quite comfortably. I put the volume on maximum to get the same SPL for the 600 ohm version. Would the 600 ohm sound "better"?)

Yes! I have confirmed this myself auditioning both the 250ohm vs the 600ohm. Same amp. The DT880/600 is next on my list.

For the OP, I would go with the 250 ohm and a small but powerful enough amp for gaming. Or if you can justify spending more money on a better amp then go with the 600ohm.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Definitely a difference between them with the volumes the same.
This definitely isn't the Fletcher-Munson effect here.
Anyway, for mostly gaming, the 32 ohm DT880 is the safest bet. The soundstages and imaging doesn't change much with different impedances (does a little bit but not much at all, not as large as the musical differences).

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #15 of 24
I am very confused....

I just don't get why anyone thinks the purchasing the DT880s specifically for gaming is a good idea - let alone the 600ohm version. I have a pair of these and they are not at all forgiving on the source. Quite a few of my CDs sound disappointing as the DT880s highlights each flaw in the repsective recording - what a less than stellar quality gaming soundtrack or sound effects will sound like I don't know - but I doubt you will enjoy it!

If you did go for them anyway, you will indeed need an amp - but a tube amp for gaming? are you kidding? Surely you want a pair of cans / amp combination that are fast, punchy and fairly forgiving of the source material? Why anyone would want to recommend a tube amp for gaming is beyond me - surely all the strengths of a tube is mid-range and vocals - wouldn't you be better off with a good SS amp? Tight bass and sound effects must be high on the list of criteria surely?

In conclusion, surely there are better suited cans for gaming? If you intend to spend this kind of money then I recall that Denon AH-D2000 were recommended for this kind of use in another post (sorry can't seem to find the actual) - and you may get away without then need for an amp to boot, saving you some more cash!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back