Beyerdynamic DT880 - Would you consider them Neutral?
Jul 31, 2007 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

oak3x

500+ Head-Fier
I am intrigued in adding a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880's to my collection. With a preference of more of a neutral presentation...would you consider the DT880's to be a neutral headphone? In reading tons of reviews and posts, many people report of the extended "highs". Due to this, would you still consider these as neutral?

Currently, I own a pair of Sennheiser HD600's with the Equinox Cables... Would the purchase of the Beyerdynamic DT880 be buying too similar a sound that I am already experiencing with the HD600's.

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 36
No I would not. The highs that the DT 880's have are definitely emphasized compared to other headphones. Instead of neutral, I'd call it a very revealing headphone. The HD 595's I have are noticeably less revealing (although not necessarily less forgiving) but more neutral than the DT 880's.

The DT 880's have a sound that is quite distinct from the HD 600's. Whether or not they are more neutral is a moot point, as they are on opposite sides. The HD 600's are warmer than the HD 595's (to my best recollection), which are in their turn warmer than the DT 880's.

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 36
The DT880's are close to neutral except in one area...they do overemphasize the treble just a bit, which does make them seem very alive and detailed.
I would prefer this presentation over a tipped up upper midrange/lower treble any day, however.
Other than that, the 880's are very close to neutral indeed.

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880's are close to neutral except in one area...they do overemphasize the treble just a bit, which does make them seem very alive and detailed.
I would prefer this presentation over a tipped up upper midrange/lower treble any day, however.
Other than that, the 880's are very close to neutral indeed.

x2

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 36
Also better detailling, bass texture & soundstage than HD600.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 36
There is not 100% neutral in audiophile, and the latest edition DT880 is the most neutral one compare with previous editions. While there is not significant and uncomfortable emphasizing in treble.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 36
I wouldn't consider the DT880 neutral at all. It has too much bass, and a higher level of treble than I would call it flat. A better can for this use will be the K340 IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 36
I've very seldom heard of the DT880 has having too much bass, and think it has "neutral", if not accurate, bass. On the high end, I agree that there is a smidgen of treble push, but overall a very revealing phone which I think approximates to neutral in this instance.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 36
Nope, not neutral because of the treble emphasis.

Whether 100% neutrality makes good headphones is on another page, though. I consider the sparkly treble an asset of the Beyers, despite the fact that I, quite frankly, can't stand it. What would we flame about if all headphones were equal?
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't consider the DT880 neutral at all. It has too much bass, and a higher level of treble than I would call it flat. A better can for this use will be the K340 IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

Humped up bass? No way! 100Hz is quite below neutral level, so the bass is bit rolled off, though it still extends nicely. You are used to very lean bass it seems.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 36
I would say almost neutral. The bass is not too powerful in my opinion, more people find it lean, I find it accurate. It is a little bright, but its hard to tell if its too bright to be neutral, or just not rolled off like most phones.

How can we tell what really is neutral? Without going OT and answering that, Id say its darn close.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 36
maybe I didn't put it right into words. the bass is a bit "fat" and bloated, not accurate and tight, in my opinion. The bass is just not "real". I do like a quite low amount of bass, but I very much like a "real" bass and not many headphones can do it. The DT800 sure cant.

Jul 31, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe I didn't put it right into words. the bass is a bit "fat" and bloated, not accurate and tight, in my opinion. The bass is just not "real". I do like a quite low amount of bass, but I very much like a "real" bass and not many headphones can do it. The DT800 sure cant.

I am interested to hear what phones you would consider to have neutral bass, because pretty much any other can I've heard against the DT 880s has had a boosted low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back