beyerdynamic DT880 re-cable guide(in progress)
Aug 18, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #63 of 76
Hello everyone, I've been following this thread with great interest and even sent private message to few of you guys. I intend to recable my beyer DT770 pro anniversay edition 32 ohm, with a dual entry system and a neutrik 4pin xlr connector I've read than most of the recable where done with either mogami or canare 4 braid cable. I'm inetrested in trying to use this also relatively inexpensive adam all krystal occ cable (http://www.global-audio-store.fr/fr/368-adam-hall-cable-microphone-krystal-series-occ-xlr-male-femelle-10-metres.html) wich are a two occ conductor+shield. So I'll be using two piece of cable, on for each driver. but I need help on how to connect everything safely. Today's knowledge is that both hot signal go to there respective's driver pin. both grounds go to there relative pins also left ground > pin 2, right ground > pin 4 But this is not a commun/shared groud anymore. Is it troublesome? And what should I do with the shield of both cable? SHould I do something like that? http://postimg.org/image/i5zf4chkz/ any wise advise is welcome. best regards Dookie182

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #64 of 76
Connect the shield to the grounds on the XLR plug only, not on the headphone drivers and you should get it right.
Those are some thick cables, man.  You sure you don't want to strip the outer jacket and shielding?  You probably will not need them anyway if you are just listening at home, plus it will make the cable lighter.

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #65 of 76
Thanks for the hint Mad Max.
I kind of came to that conclusion too, but browsing head-fi, I came across this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/509021/beyerdynamic-t1-cable-connection-mod
And was wondering if I shouldn't just let the shield alone (couldn't be hard to connect or disconnect the shield from the 4 pin xlr connector anyway.)
I' guess I should look for something lighter too. I was eyeing some up-occ copper cables any advise on what gauge I should go for. More 21awg or 24?
best regards

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #66 of 76
24awg would be better for flexibility.  21 will be unnecessarily thick, I think.

Floating shield is pointless as far as I know.  You might as well just omit it, otherwise you need to connect it at the XLR plug to the minus pins so that the shield can actually protect.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #71 of 76
I did a recable using a Rean tiny xlr 4-pin connector, succesfully fitted in thanks to Dremel work. Also note the retaining nut needed filing down across one flat in order to allow the driver to seat down correctly
[/IMG]

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #73 of 76
My primary objective was to allow me to switch cables with different lengths and jack styles (straight or 90 degree) to suit the particular use, so: short for carrying around wiith the phone, medium for sitting by the computer and long for TV/hifi.
Not really possible to do before/after comparison because it took me several hours, but my audio-memory and older ears did not tell me of any difference.
I first used van damme tour grade classic XKE quad microphone cable 268-026-000 to make the long one,
but found that it was too stiff and weighty.
Therefore I stripped out the wires and sheathed them with the outer braid from some sailing rope.
I left them twisted together with the fibrous strings and also left the paper wrapper in place, then threaded through the rope on which I used a drop of cyanoacrylate glue to prevent fraying at the ends.
Better feel/comfort.

I've posted some pics of my other cables of this set in to the DIY cable forum,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/14850
Post numbers # 14861 a 14864

Aug 3, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #74 of 76
Hope someone gets this post!

I have a pair of DT880 600ohm Premium and would love to hear them from my balanced amp. I've been powering them from a LD MKIII and although glorious I'd love to hear them balanced. Does any member offer re-cabling in the US? I love the hobby but I haven't soldered anything except a pair of RCA cables a long long time ago.
Any direction appreciated!

Aug 29, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #75 of 76
Hope someone gets this post!

I have a pair of DT880 600ohm Premium and would love to hear them from my balanced amp. I've been powering them from a LD MKIII and although glorious I'd love to hear them balanced. Does any member offer re-cabling in the US? I love the hobby but I haven't soldered anything except a pair of RCA cables a long long time ago.
Any direction appreciated!

My mod as posted earlier using a Rean connector would permit a 4 wires connection. I suggest it would be very worthwhile to practice soldering to build confidence. It’s not difficult !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back