Beyerdynamic DT880 out for repairs - what could I try while its gone?
Oct 1, 2009 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aquanote

100+ Head-Fier
I thought I might as well try something different while waiting for my Beyers to return.

Are old STAX like the SR80 worth their price?

or maybe some good deals around like the JVC HA-RX700 were a couple months back?

I´m not up to date anymore
popcorn.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 8
You've received good answers rather quickly. More Beyers eg. 2005 dt770/600ohm, or try T1 later. I also agree with the excellent alternative - upper level Grado (besides Beyers, I use RS-1, HP-2, and HF-2).

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquanote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I might as well try something different while waiting for my Beyers to return.

Ultrasone HFI-780 (electronic) or HFI-680 (rock) with the 5.1 setup in my sig ~ when you do get the Beyers back they'll go straight up for sale!
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Ultrasone HFI-780 looks interesting!

the price is only 129€ which would be acceptable for me. are they comparable to any grados? How´s the clamping force and how comfy are the pads?

The Sony XB 700 also looks good to me in terms of comfort, but not sure about the sound quality.

I dont want to try any other Beyers for now. The Tesla is out of my budget
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquanote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone HFI-780 looks interesting!

the price is only 129€ which would be acceptable for me. are they comparable to any grados? How´s the clamping force and how comfy are the pads?

The Sony XB 700 also looks good to me in terms of comfort, but not sure about the sound quality.

Yeah there very forward; fast, extremely detailed. The main difference between these and Grados is bass, lots of impact especially with the 780 which is why I think the 680 is better geared towards rock. The Ultrasones do clamp and aren't all that comfy to be honest, but it's something you forget once you get into the music.

The XB500/700 are the comfiest headphones I've owned, the 500s are better in terms of SQ but there not good all-rounders, vocals seem a little distant with the emphases on the bass... EQ does help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back