Beyerdynamic DT880: 2003 vs 2005 Versions plus AKG K701
Mar 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, And what I dislike is not the different hearing of mrarroyo which I totally accept, but starting such topic which may mislead newbies treating the Head-Fi.org as a trusty source of information. Before you learn who's right and who's wrong in your opinion, you need to read lots of threads and sometimes make a wrong purchase.
frown.gif
Guess why I never started a thread "AD2000's and K701's suck!".
wink.gif
Maybe because I'm in the minority... or maybe I realized that these headphones make many people happy?

I am not trying to: "...mislead newbies treating the Head-Fi.org as a trusty source of information. Before you learn who's right and who's wrong in your opinion, you need to read lots of threads and sometimes make a wrong purchase..." so please stop trying to put words in my mouth.

None of us is right, none of us is wrong either. I wrote what I did based on what I heard. We all hear differently and that is fine. I will also say that no amount of reading will make a difference, at the end of the day you need to actually use a piece of gear and listen to it. Only then can you or others truly determine if it is for them or not.

BTW, nowhere in my post did I use the word "suck" so I do not understand why you write: "...I never started a thread "AD2000's and K701's suck!"..."

FWIW I stand by what I wrote, I prefer the 03 version of the DT880 over the 05 version. I also prefer the K701 over either of the DT880 versions. Just my opinion and it is like belly buttons, we all have one.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday (Saturday, March 22 of 2008) I had the opportunity to compare a 2005 version of the DT880 with its previous version. Both units were 250 ohms and had plenty of burn-in.

The 2005 version sure is a pretty looking can, much so than its previous sibling. Furthermore the newer version comes with a nice carrying case. Here are a couple of pictures of the old version followed by the newer version:

142.jpg

31649809-2-440-overview-1.gif

Both cans are equally comfortable thanks to the excellent ear-pads used on them. The plush velour sure is nice!
wink.gif

So how do they compare? If I had let myself be guided by most posts I would say the new version was going to come out ahead. However that was not the case.
redface.gif
I found the new version of the DT880 to have some of the traits of the new DT990 which I had and sold. Basically the new version has way to much bass to my liking, so much so that it makes the mids sound recessed. So at the end of the day you have a can with lots of bass and highs but no mids.

This description is becoming more the norm than I would like. The new version of the DT880 joins two other cans with the same sound signature of too much bass and highs w/ recessed mids. These are the 2005 DT990 and the Grado GS1000.

On the other hand the older DT880 is much more balanced sounding. Just the right amount of bass to allow the mids and the highs to come through w/o overpowering the music the composer and the musicians wanted to deliver. I like them so much I may buy me a pair of used older version DT880.

Since I could not hold myself I decided to compare the old version of the DT880 w/ my AKG K701. It was a good fight but the K701 came out triumphant. I will not say it was a trash, there are more similarities between them than there are differences. I guess the biggest area of difference is the openness and airiness of the K701, it is immersing.

In the past when I try a bottle of wine and I think it is great of lousy I will try it again. Why? because the company, food, or my mood influences how much I like or disliked the wine. In other words, the right company and meal will make or break a bottle of wine. Thus I will give a loved or hated wine a second chance to validate the initial impression or find out if it was external reasons instead of the wine itself. ;D

Well I pretty much apply the same to other aspects of my life. Thus I will be listening to the DT880 over the next week or so. I certainly hope to make a decision if I will keep them or not by next weekend.
wink.gif

I completely agree with you. The first impression I got from DT880 05 version is too much bass, and that makes the mids and highs so muddy. After 3 months of burn in, I still feel the same, and I don't think this depends that much on other equipments in the chain.

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #20 of 36
this is almost making me want to try the 03 version, but i still havn't seen much comparison on the mids and treble of which is what i care about. I want more bass because i listen at lower volumes (though I do turn it up occasionally and at high volumes i do agree the bass is too much, i don't feel that alone is worth trying to find an 03 version be cause i don't do it that often since i fear hearing loss).

other than too much bass, the only things i've heard is that the 05 version has warmer mids (a gigantic + in my book) and i've heard mixed things about treble extension and quality.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #21 of 36
Never got around to trying the '03s, but I recently got a pair of DT880 2005.

And well, IMO I don't really see its bass as covering up the mids and highs. The mids in fact seem to be their strength, as are the lower-highs - the "high-of-the-highs" could only be really tamed (or rather, made very refined) by their cousin the DT990 though. And yes, I heard both the DT880 and DT990 2005 side-by-side.

Bass definitely has more punch and control than the DT990's. And idk if it's a good comparison, but bass-amount wise the ESW9s definitely has more bass than the DT880s. (Because I see plenty of people here finding fault with the DT880's bass somehow).

Well it's all IMO's, IMHO's and YMMV's. Comparing it to the HD650 (a tad too warm) and AKG701(too bright!Drums feel so realistic I thought I was getting hit on the head) I find it a much better all-rounder - I enjoy using the DT880's with all sorts of genre, be it classicals, jazz, pop, rock, trance or metal.

I hope in the process I did not sidetrack from the topic too much.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #22 of 36
Dam, if I feel the mids are slightly recessed with my '03 DT880's (and that's with an amp that boosts the mids a bit too), hate to imagine what the 05 DT880's are like. That said, love the detail all round, particularly in the bass and the general all round balanced sound it gives.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #24 of 36
my main gripe with the dt880's 05 isn't the mids being recessed, its what i see as a bit of a coloration. they are unnaturally cold and also shy on the upper mids.

hopefully some tubes help that. i have heard that the k701's mids are much sweeter.

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #26 of 36
How would anyone say the beyerdynamic dt990 compares with the AKG K701s vs the sennheiser HD-650s. I have a choice between it, and i prefer a balanced ,good all-around can as i will listen to everything from the hardest of metal to the soft sounds of bach and Beethoven. Also techno is a major part of my music collection. I already have some beyerdynamic DT770s and love the way they sound with my vintage sony reciever. HELP ME OUT HEAD-FI!

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday (Saturday, March 22 of 2008) I had the opportunity to compare a 2005 version of the DT880 with its previous version. Both units were 250 ohms and had plenty of burn-in.

The 2005 version sure is a pretty looking can, much so than its previous sibling. Furthermore the newer version comes with a nice carrying case. Here are a couple of pictures of the old version followed by the newer version:

142.jpg

31649809-2-440-overview-1.gif

Both cans are equally comfortable thanks to the excellent ear-pads used on them. The plush velour sure is nice!
wink.gif

So how do they compare? If I had let myself be guided by most posts I would say the new version was going to come out ahead. However that was not the case.
redface.gif
I found the new version of the DT880 to have some of the traits of the new DT990 which I had and sold. Basically the new version has way to much bass to my liking, so much so that it makes the mids sound recessed. So at the end of the day you have a can with lots of bass and highs but no mids.

This description is becoming more the norm than I would like. The new version of the DT880 joins two other cans with the same sound signature of too much bass and highs w/ recessed mids. These are the 2005 DT990 and the Grado GS1000.

On the other hand the older DT880 is much more balanced sounding. Just the right amount of bass to allow the mids and the highs to come through w/o overpowering the music the composer and the musicians wanted to deliver. I like them so much I may buy me a pair of used older version DT880.

Since I could not hold myself I decided to compare the old version of the DT880 w/ my AKG K701. It was a good fight but the K701 came out triumphant. I will not say it was a trash, there are more similarities between them than there are differences. I guess the biggest area of difference is the openness and airiness of the K701, it is immersing.

In the past when I try a bottle of wine and I think it is great of lousy I will try it again. Why? because the company, food, or my mood influences how much I like or disliked the wine. In other words, the right company and meal will make or break a bottle of wine. Thus I will give a loved or hated wine a second chance to validate the initial impression or find out if it was external reasons instead of the wine itself. ;D

Well I pretty much apply the same to other aspects of my life. Thus I will be listening to the DT880 over the next week or so. I certainly hope to make a decision if I will keep them or not by next weekend.
wink.gif

Thanks for the info. I totally agree with your K701 vs. DT800 (2005 ed.). I owned the DT880s for a few months and never really got into them; especially when my K701s were right there. I much preferred my AKGs...thus I still own them and no longer have the DT880s.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #29 of 36
This is an interesting post at the right time, for me. I have dt880 03 version, it serves me right. But now looking for upgrade, just wondering if K702 will serve me better or different kind of fun. I like classicals, chamber, like the works of Hilary Hann, Yo-Yo Ma, ....etc.
darthsmile.gif

Wanna pick K702 over K701, heard that K702 have bass issues rectified, whereas HD650 seems to be way too much.
confused_face.gif

To make it complicate, DT880, how you think the ohms variants 32, 250, 600, .....
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #30 of 36
My opinion won't make as much sense because I had the 2003 250 and have the 2005 600. Both remain my favourite full size headphones of all time. The new one does have more bass emphasis - that is easily recognisable, but it isn't overpowering. I would say that if anything sticks out it is the incredible dynamics between bass and mids. Treble may be slightly intrusive into the mid range, but if anything, they are very balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back