Beyerdynamic DT831: Best closed cans?
Jul 7, 2001 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
I know some of you (chych, Gluegun) own a pair of these,
smily_headphones1.gif
but I read a couple of reviews of them on AudioREVIEW.com that backs up the "good" side of them - the reviewer "Jerry" obviously is a "tin-ear" (a reviewer thought he is a "dum-bass") who tried to get me into listening to those dreaded Sony MDR-V600's again (those cans have weak bass, no deep bass, overboosted lower mids, recessed upper mids and uneven/honky highs). And the most recent review (thanks, chych) obviously stated that these cans require an amp.

Anyway, are they the best closed cup headphones (not canalphones) you can buy?

Please feel free to give your thoughts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2001 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 34
They are nice headphones indeed...

I think the only comparable price range headphone would be the discontinued Sony CD1700, I've been dying to see a comparison (almost got CD1700s through a trade but lost
frown.gif
well ok not 'almost' but, argh! anyone wan't to trade some Grado SR80s for their Sony CD1700s?)...

Anyways I'm pretty sure the Sony CD3000s and the Sony R10s ($400 and $4000 respectively) outclass the DT831s ($150) but they are good nonetheless.

Jul 7, 2001 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 34
I can't really make any absolute statements saying they're the best, because the only other high end closed can I've heard is the Sony 7506; but, I do prefer them to the Sonys (I feel their bass is too loose, and the mids too recessed) and on acoustic rock / light modern rock (coldplay, radiohead, stereophonics) I greatly prefer them to my Grado SR60s (find them a little loose in the bass, and do not separate vocals/instruments very well). However, I must mention that I am a midrange freak, and I prefer detailed, tight bass over deep, boomy bass.

Out of a Corda amp which I asked Jan to up the output impedance to 220ohms, the 831's have a superb midrange, excellent detail, very tight bass, and seem to separate each instrument and voice brilliantly. Their drawbacks are a small soundstage and a sometimes anemic bass (meaning that it's not very deep or impactful). For these reasons they maybe a poor choice for anything bassy and impactful (hip hop, dance/techno, hard rock) or where soundstage is of utmost importance (classical). In either of these cases my SR60's fit the bill perfectly.

Jul 7, 2001 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 34
I have a set of CD1700's, and recently listened to them, against the DT831's.. I personally like the CD1700's better, as they aren't as cold and analytical as the Beyers.

This was on a headphone amp that _does_ have a 0/120 impendance switch, and even on 120 ohms, the Beyers sounded bass-less, overly analytical, and _shrill_ - listening to anything with strings was painful... (This really bit for the owner, as he's a Mozart fan)

The CD1700's aren't as _detailed_, even with the Ian's mod, but, overall, they're a bit easier on the ears, and more pleasant. On good recordings, they also present a fairly big soundstage, without the echoey reverberation with the "funhouse mirror" effect soundstage of the CD3000's.

Jul 8, 2001 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 34
Well. with a warm headphone amp, the DT-831's are niiiiice. I like the flatness and detail, and the soundstage, and the impact they have at high volumes...

But I'm fairly sure that only the CD3000's and the R10's are better....i'd classify the CD1700's as "different", not better, though. and I'd say it would depend on the amp... The Beyers like a fairly warm amp with, uh, what is the impedance they are happiest at? I forget..it's something high...

Jul 9, 2001 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 34
I wish.

They're just as Odeen describes for me as well. Weak thin low end, excellent mids, and highs that'll send cats and bats into a frenzy. it's sharp, it cuts.

While a lowpass filter will tame it down (so will abusing them, err, breaking them in.. for months) it's still not what I'd call the ultimate closed headphone. And that bass will never come up. I can't use it w/o equalization, and I mean HARD BOOST.

I'm a Grado Man, and I was sent at these in the search for a closed Grado. They're not. They're the closest so far, but the bass. They don't sound that closed, but I really wish they could do some bass. (Too bad HW isn't up, I reviewed them and basically took em behind proverbial woodshed)

I still don't know what the best closed can is. But I'll find mine eventually... hopefully you can find yours too.

Jul 9, 2001 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 34
I have a pair of DT 831 and the CD3000 I auditioned sounds better to me. Of course the CD3000 leaks sound like an open headphone (maybe it is). The CD3000 is warmer and has better bass. I wished I had bought another pair of HD600 or even the 580 and modded it to be closed. If anyone has tried this please share your experience.

Jul 9, 2001 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 34
In terms of truly closed cans, then yes the Beyers are probably the best...truly closed meaning it seals out a good deal of noise (but, the Etymotics are still better in this regard). In terms of just closed cans in general, then the king of the hill is definitely the Sony MDR-R10.

Jul 18, 2001 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 34
So for under $200-$300, the 831 is the best closed headphone? I just bought a pair of HD600 and they're a little too open for my use at work, so I wanted to get the best closed pair I could afford, woudl the 831s be it?

Jul 18, 2001 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 34
I'd guess so man. be sure to get some extra ohms at the jack, or use some other techniques to tame the highs. like Apheared said, they cut
frown.gif
! Not as smooth as the 600 either.

Jul 18, 2001 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by XXhalberstramXX
The headroom folks reccomend the Senn HD 250-II for rock music (more bassy, etc). has anyone tried these phones?

I have. But, unfortunately, I am the other way around, I have not heard the 831's (they're on my wish list). The closest I have is the old (600 ohm) DT770Pro's (and I always use an amp, so that criticism is not a problem in my book), and since I've not seen a comparison between the 770's and the 831's, that doesn't matter anyway.

I found the 250-II's too uncomfortable for extended listening, with the sticky vinyl, so I never listened to them for very long. I should probably sell them...

Edit:

Alright, I A/B'd the Sennheiser HD 250 II's against my Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro's (600 ohm version). Musically, I like the Senny's better, the bass goes just a little bit deeper, and the top end does not go any higher, but is just a smidge smoother.

FYI -- the Beyers are a lot older, and the Senny's are "like new". That could be either good or bad, depending on "break-in" and the possibility of abuse. I do think the Senny's are broken in, though. Related equipment: MF X-CANv2; X-PSU; KK PBJ; AA DDEv3.0; AA PS2; Parasound C/DP-1000.

Anyone know any good cloth earpads I can get for the Senny's? Will the ones for the Beyer DT 250's work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back