Beyerdynamic DT770 vs Custom One Pro
Mar 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hemanse

New Head-Fier
Im currently about to buy a new pair of headphones, my current ones are a pair of sennheiser hd407, pretty much the cheapest i could get my hands on at the time, yet the sound was pretty good considering the price.

Now tho i would like to step up a bit, my budget is around 170-250$ (i think, i live in denmark), as the topic says, i have been looking at the DT770 and the Custom One Pro's, currently leaning towards the DT770, but would love some feedback from people who might own either of the pair.

Im gonna be using them as my main headphones, that means listning to music, gaming and watching movies, from what i have been able to read, the DT770 would be an excellent choice for that, but again, would still love a little advice/feedback.

Im using a Nuforce Udac-2 that i bought quite a while ago, specs says it should be able to handle up to 300 impedance, so no problem running the Custom One Pros or the DT770 80 or 250 ohm (hopefully).

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=4:udac-2&Itemid=186/index.php

Looking for overall good sound, good isolation as i live in a apartment building that can be quite noisy at times, able to use the headphones with glasses, why i have been keeping to on ear headphones, but on ear doesnt really have the same isolation as over the ear.

Im no way an audiophile as you can probably tell, just looking for something that is gonna sound good, atleast better then my hd407s :)

Thanks in advance

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 8
i do own the dt770 pro. i like them and use them at home.
for mobile i use grado sr 80.
for my hobby as a dj i us the audio technica ath 700mk2.

like i said i like them, they are comfortable imo, even after hours, pretty neutral with a plus in bass.  (i like that!) they don`t get boring or annoying. but generally i prefer open headphones. i`m planning to buy the grado rs1i or the gs1000i, since i LOVE the grado sound. even my grado sr 80 (which cost half of your stack) sound a lot better than the dt 770 imo. i hope it helps and doesn`t confuse you^^

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 8
I think im already confused :) when you read reviews of most headphones, alot of them come from people that probably have quite a high standard when it comes to headphones, im basicly just looking for something that is gonna sound good, feel comfortable and maybe block out a bit of sound compared to the on ear headphones im using right now. No store near me sells headphones, except for one general electronics store wich pretty much just sells Beats by Dr Dre, so that should tell the level of quality they have there :)

So basicly to sum up, looking for headphones that sound good with a good amount of bass, i tend to lean towards music that is more bass heavy, im guessing bass also is a good thing thing when it comes to the other 2 uses i have for them, watching movies and gaming.

But im still a bit lost, guess ill have to look around a bit more, one minut im sure im getting the DT770, then its the DT990 (wich cost the same), then its something 3rd.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 8
I just bought the 770 dt 80 pros for my computer set up. I game and listen to techno and watch tv and movies. They were a pretty neutral headset with my stock sound card. I am hooking them to a new soundblaster zx tonight. They are very comfy. The isolate very well at a moderate volume and the sounds were nice and crisp and clean.

I also tried some hd380s they were a little brighter sounding and clamped way tight. The leather got sweaty and they isolated too much. My house could have been on fire and I wouldn't have heard the alarm.

I am certain you will love the 770.

I also jacked them into an iPod to try it. They still sounded really good, but I did have to turn the volume to full to get them to have a fuller sounding range. Prolly want an amp for that.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 8
I just bought the 770 dt 80 pros for my computer set up. I game and listen to techno and watch tv and movies. They were a pretty neutral headset with my stock sound card. I am hooking them to a new soundblaster zx tonight. They are very comfy. The isolate very well at a moderate volume and the sounds were nice and crisp and clean.

I also tried some hd380s they were a little brighter sounding and clamped way tight. The leather got sweaty and they isolated too much. My house could have been on fire and I wouldn't have heard the alarm.

I am certain you will love the 770.

I also jacked them into an iPod to try it. They still sounded really good, but I did have to turn the volume to full to get them to have a fuller sounding range. Prolly want an amp for that.

Okay thanks for the feedback, would love to hear how they sound when you have them set up on the zx, not sure what the zx is tho, but im guessing its some sort of internal sound card with amp?

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 8
...ok so u want Isolation, i´m also pretty sure that you will be lucky with the dt770`s then. even if i own the grado gs1000i`s once, i will never sell the 770`s because of their unique qualities as closed headphones.

they are classics because they are simply good!

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 8
They pumped pretty decent. One thing to note the 80s are not a bass boomer of a headphone. They play very clear low tones that are true, but they don't rumble like you may be used to from gaming headsets.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 8
They pumped pretty decent. One thing to note the 80s are not a bass boomer of a headphone. They play very clear low tones that are true, but they don't rumble like you may be used to from gaming headsets.

Okay, never used or owned gaming headsets tho, always thought they sounded kinda bad, hollow and with muddy bass, ive been sticking to my hd407 wich are cheap and sound pretty good imo.
As long ad the dt770 still have a bit of punch and dont have that fake hollow sound im all in :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back