Beyerdynamic DT770 vs ATH-M50 for noise isolation
Apr 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wilsonc91

New Head-Fier
My primary concern for my headphones are preventing noise from coming in. I have to work in a somewhat noisy enviroment, but I prefer to listen to my music at a lower volume while working.

Does anyone know which one of these two would be better for noise isolation AND comfort? I'll be wearing them 8-10 hours a day. I'm also considering IEMs but im not sure how comfortable they'll be for long periods of time.

Would also be open to suggestions in this price range as well

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 14
I've owned the DT770s for a long time, and they have been extremely comfortable for extended periods of use. They clamp down with a somewhat moderate force, but if you are looking to use these straight out of your computer/laptop without an amp I think you should aim for the lower impedance model, not the 250 ohm or 600 ohm versions as those would require an amp to use properly. When playing music at low to moderate levels, I can barely hear any outside noise, and people usually have to tap me on the back in order to get my attention. The DT770's are closed headphones, so people won't be able to hear (much) of what you're listening to. I've never tried the ATH-M50s, but I can assure you that the DT770's isolate really, really well.

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 14
I think the 80 Ohm "Pro" version should offer sufficient isolation. In fact, they have some of the best isolation I've heard in a full-sized headphone.

Also, what kind of music do you listen to? If you listen to vocal-heavy music, and don't mind sacrificing bass, the AKG K271's isolate very well, and their smooth, mid-centric sound lends itself well to noisy environments.

May 1, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
I listen to a lot of trance stuff, and pretty vocal-heavy music. I like bass, but like insturments like violin more if that makes sense.

The DT770 is a great headphone for your needs. Isolation is great, good warm bass, great for instruments and vocals. It's a full on headphone with excellent range for a good price and built to last. You'll want a minor amplifier to get the most out of it's dynamic range. I suggest the Fiio E10 in general if using a PC of some kind. If using phone or other mobile device, then maybe something like the E7, E11 or iBass D-ZERO.

Very best,

May 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 14
SAME BOAT! and I own the DT 770 Pro 80's and the SRH840's. The DT 770's isolate more in the mids and lower treble, but I also wish I had the 770M's there a little less bassy and have a little less frequency extension but apparently isolate more.

For IEM's Shure or Eytmotic.

May 6, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #13 of 14
I own DT770 80ohms and used to have the M50s. The Beyers are much more comfy. They sound much nicer for pleasure listening with bigger sound-stage and much more neutral sounding highs. I can't really think of thing the M50s do better...

And yeah, the Beyers isolate very well - can't recall how the M50s did in comparison.

Apr 10, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #14 of 14
I am also looking for headphones that isolate a lot, I took the meze 99 classics are quite good in terms of sound, powerful bass but not too invasive, but unfortunately they do not isolate at all, what do you recommend on the 300, I try full headphones, as far as possible with this price, Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back