Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's
Apr 25, 2012 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tdonnelly0987

New Head-Fier
I purchased the DT770 Pro's 80ohms today. Currently I have Senhesisser HD558's that I absolutely love for rock and country but I would prefer a headphone with more bass when listening to hip-hop. 

First I powered the DT770's via my Macbook and they were awful. They were not loud even with the volume maxed out. The bass on the HD558's was more impressive. Next I powered them via a Samsung Vibrant. Using google music and VooDoo Sound with the BassBoost Effect on Medium they finally began to show some life but they are still are lacking the bass I was expecting from reading all the reviews.

Will the DT770's only provide the bass I am looking for with an amp or will the bass increase as they continue to burn in? Did I buy the wrong headphone despite all the glowing reviews? I like the bass on the V-Moda CrossFade LP's but I am not a fan of the mids and highs.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 9
Despite being only 80 Ohms, the DT770 Pro-80 is actually rather tough to drive.  It sounds great with an amplifier out of my computer, I can even make them shake if I equalize them for it, but when used in a portable setup I just couldn't give them enough power to really push them, especially when running an equalizer.  This is one of the reasons I switched to an Ultrasone PRO 900 for portable use, which is a bit easier to drive.

Also, if you put the leather pads that Beyerdynamic sells for their aviation models (EDT300L) on the DT770 Pro-80, that will increase the bass and isolation rather noticeably.  But they will get hot in summer like no other, so be warned.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 9
You could hold onto the Beyers until you get a better amp... their resale value won't go anywhere.  Might as well make sure you definitely don't like the dt770s before spending more money on new cans.  That's basically what I'm doing atm.  I am not that impressed with the 770/80s.  Sure they can do good with bassy songs, but I'm a bit sad that they can't do much more.  For portable use / times when I need isolation, I'd rather use my k540s for most songs.  They k540s have crappy build quality but a nice dark tone, not great clarity, but they do have a nice musical sound and are very easy to drive.  The low mids / upper bass sounds very nice on them.  Not well known, but very nice cans for around $100 imo.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 9
DT770 Pro-80, while being a V-shape response headphone, remains relatively sensitive to your source. It's a headphone for acoustic engineering and stuff. And no, samsung is not a good source despite any effort. Tried my DT770 on my samsung and that sounds bad. But with a proper source, you will be stunned. And no MBP is not a good source too, period.

Get a proper external DAC. Amp would be a luxury but source is far more important. And yes Pro 80 need amp.

On the other hand, ultrasone will blast you with bass no matter what you feed into it. That's fun but may not be good for other purpose.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 9
I connected my iPod to my stereo recevier and they are def a lot better. They are plenty loud and the bass has really picked up when using an EQ.

I have 30 days to make my decision. I wish there was somewhere near Philly that I could demo the Ultrasone DJ1's and Sony XB500's.

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 9
You can always invest in a Fiio E11.

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 9
I'm driving my BD DT770 Pro 80Ohm's with the Fiio Alpen (E17). When the bass is crakend up to max they really rattle my head, and with clarity! Even when I use my phone (N9) as a source the bass and sound depth is  really impressive!

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 9
I purchased DT770 Pro 80 ohm just about a month ago and they manifested a little bit problem quite from the start but now it has gotten unbearable.

So the headphones pan right, so the sound is louder on the right side. It does the same thing with or without the amp I use, and on my computer or cellphone. First I was able to fix it by removing the cord and trying to put it back several times on different angles and stuff, but now it's broken for real I think....  And I can hear just fine so it is not about my ears

Please tell me if there is some solution, or then I just return these to the shop I bought them from. Thank you !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back