Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm - is an amp absolutely necessary?
Mar 5, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #31 of 39
Thanks for taking the time to respond again. I'd assume the volume of the 80 ohm may be slightly less but hopefully not by much given the similar sensitivities. I'm going to go back tomorrow to try the 32 ohm on my laptop and if that runs uncomfortably loud, is it safe to assume that the 80 ohm will run fine?

On the laptop, yes.

It's the smartphone I can't answer - you might get lower volume and if the output impedance is affecting it in such a way that it's boosting bass, that's a double whammy vs the 80ohm version on your phone. But again if you're going to get an amp anyway then it'll go either way. You get more power for the 80ohm, you won't have output impedance issues on the 32ohm.

I'd look up comparative reviews where both were used on an amp that has no issues driving either and just go with whatever has the sound you prefer. It won't vary by much in that situation but again the thing is you'll get the one you like better without the review being influenced by an amplifier circuit or chip that has some kind of disadvantage on one of them.

Also my hesitance of settling for the 32 ohm and m50x is firstly the apparent superior bass of the 80 ohm and secondly leatherette padding (which will most likely flake after a year).

Lots of aftermarket options for most headphones nowadays but of course you have more for Beyers since they have more headphone lines that use the same size earpads.

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #32 of 39
On the laptop, yes.

It's the smartphone I can't answer - you might get lower volume and if the output impedance is affecting it in such a way that it's boosting bass, that's a double whammy vs the 80ohm version on your phone. But again if you're going to get an amp anyway then it'll go either way. You get more power for the 80ohm, you won't have output impedance issues on the 32ohm.

I'd look up comparative reviews where both were used on an amp that has no issues driving either and just go with whatever has the sound you prefer. It won't vary by much in that situation but again the thing is you'll get the one you like better without the review being influenced by an amplifier circuit or chip that has some kind of disadvantage on one of them.

Lots of aftermarket options for most headphones nowadays but of course you have more for Beyers since they have more headphone lines that use the same size earpads.
Thanks for taking the time to respond again! I've decided to just go with the 32 ohm version as the bass was sufficient and despite the downside of the leatherette pads, they apparently give more isolation and slightly better bass than using velour. I can't seem to find any other closed back, bassy headphones under 150$ which are comfortable and come more recommended than the dt770 pro's. So I think i've made my choice :)

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #33 of 39
Just got the dt770 pro 32 ohm and as my first "decent" headphones, I am very pleased. The sub bass was definitely a nice surprise. Also those m50x are very over-hyped and didn't really compare. So thanks to everyone who helped me buy my first audiphile (hope I can call it that? xD) headphones!

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #34 of 39
Just got the dt770 pro 32 ohm and as my first "decent" headphones, I am very pleased. The sub bass was definitely a nice surprise. Also those m50x are very over-hyped and didn't really compare. So thanks to everyone who helped me buy my first audiphile (hope I can call it that? xD) headphones!
They are loud enough? Congrats! :)

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #35 of 39
They are loud enough? Congrats! :)
Yeah definitely, especially on my laptop. Like a good track I like to use to test sub bass is Lil Wayne - A millie, and on the laptop it gets to the point where the earcups feel like they're vibrating. Only future consideration I'd maybe consider is an amp, so I can maybe get the sub bass at lower volumes as well?

Regardless the only downside as someone pointed out is that it elicits some sort of addiction where it makes you want more headphones lol and in particular it makes me wonder that if the 32 ohm bass is this good, how amazing is the 80 ohm with a solid amp :xf_eek: ... RIP future income

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #36 of 39
Yeah definitely, especially on my laptop. Like a good track I like to use to test sub bass is Lil Wayne - A millie, and on the laptop it gets to the point where the earcups feel like they're vibrating. Only future consideration I'd maybe consider is an amp, so I can maybe get the sub bass at lower volumes as well?

Regardless the only downside as someone pointed out is that it elicits some sort of addiction where it makes you want more headphones lol and in particular it makes me wonder that if the 32 ohm bass is this good, how amazing is the 80 ohm with a solid amp :xf_eek: ... RIP future income
Ha! I know. It's an addiction. We need to have an AA for headphones. Yes, an amp will likely tighten up and possibly strengthen your bass experience. Assuming it's a decently designed amplifier. (low distortion, etc.) It will also play louder, though that is apparently a non-issue at the moment.

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #39 of 39
well it seems the OP has their headphones... I own the DT770 Pro 80's and they don't get loud enough / sound very good without an amp when using smartphone..etc.

I also own the M50X's .. I tend to take these with me and leave the 770's at home.. I prefer the DT770's but they are a hassle to use out and about with long fixed cable and bulky non folding design... From a listening point of view, I'd take properly amped DT770's over M50X's all day.. But despite all the hate they seem to get, the M50X's still sound pretty good..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back