Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm - is an amp absolutely necessary?
Mar 4, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #16 of 39
If you can afford one, always get an external DAC+amp. Whether a device can drive the headphones is one thing. At 80 ohm, most will do fine in terms of volume. The real issue is, you rarely know what kind of output impedance is baked into that integrated headphone out. A phone is actually the better bet, since it is supposed to be set up for headphones. A laptop or the iMac mentioned above may have more of a line-out that doubles as a headphone jack. In that case, it may have high output impedance that will generate serious distortion when used with headphones, and get this, the more distortion the lower the headphone impedance. Unfortunately, you rarely can find out the details of those headphone outputs, so sticking with them is a crapshoot.
Yeah would definitely look into it in the future. Only downside is that due to my location, what should be 40-50 dollars ends up being nearly 100 dollars --"

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #17 of 39
If you can afford one, always get an external DAC+amp. Whether a device can drive the headphones is one thing. At 80 ohm, most will do fine in terms of volume. The real issue is, you rarely know what kind of output impedance is baked into that integrated headphone out. A phone is actually the better bet, since it is supposed to be set up for headphones. A laptop or the iMac mentioned above may have more of a line-out that doubles as a headphone jack. In that case, it may have high output impedance that will generate serious distortion when used with headphones, and get this, the more distortion the lower the headphone impedance. Unfortunately, you rarely can find out the details of those headphone outputs, so sticking with them is a crapshoot.
Sorry, quick question. One of the few affordable portable amp's are the FiiO A1's. Would these be able to drive the dt770 pro 80ohm?

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #18 of 39
FiiO says up to 100 ohm headphone impedance is covered, so yes, at least in theory. But be aware that the A1 is designed for IEMs. You may find it not loud enough, or dying relatively quickly, when running the 80 ohm DT 770s. In terms of sound quality, they made a name for themselves by going for measurable specs, so no worries. (Not that it is high-end, but you can expect good price/performance.)

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #19 of 39
FiiO says up to 100 ohm headphone impedance is covered, so yes, at least in theory. But be aware that the A1 is designed for IEMs. You may find it not loud enough, or dying relatively quickly, when running the 80 ohm DT 770s. In terms of sound quality, they made a name for themselves by going for measurable specs, so no worries. (Not that it is high-end, but you can expect good price/performance.)
aah yeah that might be hit and miss then. The only other amp slightly in my price range is something called the "M-Audio Bass Traveller" which may possibly suit my need for bass too.

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #21 of 39
^
The Thinksound On2 and V-Moda XS fit that description well. They are on-ear phones, though.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #22 of 39
Thanks for the response. I guess my safest bet would probably be the 32ohm version. Hopefully the bass is not dramatically less than my hd202's.

32ohms vs 80ohms isn't going to make for much difference when it comes to amp requirement so long as the sensitivity is on the 80ohm is only around 1dB/1mW lower.

You're even more likely to have an issue with output impedance and reduced damping factor on whatever you plug the 32ohm version into because the impedance is lower.

Alternatively, does anyone else have any recommendations for comfortable bassy headphones under 200$ which can be driven unamped?

Superlux HD660. Sensitivity is lower, and impedance is 150ohms, so that might be an issue for the smartphone, but in practice outside of the lower power out of the smartphone the prodigious levels of bass in these (coupled with the 150ohm impedance that won't impact amp damping factor, and by "amp" that includes "integrated audio chip on mainstream mobile devices") will tend to not make the listener crank it up too high just to hear the bass thump.

One caveat though - the earpads kind of suck. You might want to put DT770 earpads on them (even third party pads, as long as they mimic the shape of the original pads). The headphone itself only costs $60 so even original Beyer pads will total at around $100.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 39
32ohms vs 80ohms isn't going to make for much difference when it comes to amp requirement so long as the sensitivity is on the 80ohm is only around 1dB/1mW lower.

You're even more likely to have an issue with output impedance and reduced damping factor on whatever you plug the 32ohm version into because the impedance is lower.

Superlux HD660. Sensitivity is lower, and impedance is 150ohms, so that might be an issue for the smartphone, but in practice outside of the lower power out of the smartphone the prodigious levels of bass in these (coupled with the 150ohm impedance that won't impact amp damping factor, and by "amp" that includes "integrated audio chip on mainstream mobile devices") will tend to not make the listener crank it up too high just to hear the bass thump.

One caveat though - the earpads kind of suck. You might want to put DT770 earpads on them (even third party pads, as long as they mimic the shape of the original pads). The headphone itself only costs $60 so even original Beyer pads will total at around $100.
I'm a bit confused though. Doing some quick research, the sensitivity of the dt770 pro 32 ohm at 100hz-10khz is 109.9 db/v with 32.9 ohms where as my sennheiser hd202 is 118.8 db/v with 34.9 ohms? So unless i'm understanding this incorrectly (which is very likely), if my phone and laptop can drive the hd202's to uncomfortably loud volumes with very punchy bass, surely it should be able to drive the dt770?

Alternatively, are the Takstar 82's any good? Heard that the new CoolerMaster MH752 are essentially an upgraded Takstar 82?

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #24 of 39
This is a dangerous hobby and us generally expensive! Can you get a fiio A5 portable amp in your country?

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #25 of 39
This is a dangerous hobby and us generally expensive! Can you get a fiio A5 portable amp in your country?

That amp alone will cost me more than any headphones i've looked at xD and I don't think i'm hardcore enough for it to be a dangerous hobby. I just really love music because I DJ too and my currents phones are sennheiser hd202, cx200ii and ps4 gold (which I actually enjoyed prior to pleather flaking). So as you can see, I by no means have a high standard but I guess i'm just looking for something to wow me with sound quality yet still satisfy my bass needs.

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #26 of 39
I'm a bit confused though. Doing some quick research, the sensitivity of the dt770 pro 32 ohm at 100hz-10khz is 109.9 db/v with 32.9 ohms where as my sennheiser hd202 is 118.8 db/v with 34.9 ohms? So unless i'm understanding this incorrectly (which is very likely), if my phone and laptop can drive the hd202's to uncomfortably loud volumes with very punchy bass, surely it should be able to drive the dt770?

Alternatively, are the Takstar 82's any good? Heard that the new CoolerMaster MH752 are essentially an upgraded Takstar 82?

Efficiency is dB/1V and sensitivity is dB/1mW. Manufacturers use them interchangeably, even using the figures for one but labelling it as the other, so you can see something with a very high dB numerator, assume it's "1xxdB/1mW," but in reality it's 1xxdB/1Vrms," which actually translates to "9xdB/1mW."

Sennheiser usually just omits the denominator and calls it one or the other, but always uses the numerator for efficiency.

I've seen AKG claim "103dB/1mW" but in reality it's either 103dB/1V or 93dB/1mW.

Mar 5, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #27 of 39
So I had a chance to try out the dt770 pro 32 ohm and the m50x. I'm glad to know both sounded great from my s8, although the Beyers were slightly quite. So I guess my main question now is, considering the 32 ohm and 80 ohm have similar sensitivities, will I be able to drive them similar to the 32 ohm? (I will get an amp later down the line but not anytime soon) Or should I just settle for the m50x which did seem to pack a punch?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #28 of 39
So I had a chance to try out the dt770 pro 32 ohm and the m50x. I'm glad to know both sounded great from my s8, although the Beyers were slightly quite. So I guess my main question now is, considering the 32 ohm and 80 ohm have similar sensitivities, will I be able to drive them similar to the 32 ohm? (I will get an amp later down the line but not anytime soon) Or should I just settle for the m50x which did seem to pack a punch?

Between the Beyers, you'll notice slightly lower volume on the 80ohm running off the smartphone; depending on your phone's audio chip - and at this point I don't have any idea if what you have is the same as the International version or the T-Mobile version (and the latter sucks), so I can't make a clear guess if the 32ohm will have either bloated bass or weak but still less detailed bass. Likely not noticeable beyond the minute response differences between those two models, ie not so much a matter of amplification, when used on the laptop.

If you're getting an amp down the line it wouldn't swing it in favor of either, since the volume and distortion issue will both be addressed by the amp.

Same thing if it's upa against the M50X. It has a higher sensitivity (99dB/1mW I think) which is significant. The amp will likely mean you'll have to really crank it up to start distorting on the Beyers and make its lower sensitivity matter again. The thing is though as much as I can make a guess that getting an amp can make up for the low end the M50X has, you need to have volume matched them wtih a 1000hz sine wave so the M50X wouldn't be playing louder and the bass punch is about the same, provided you adjust how tight you wear both, that's an indicator that the amp can help, even if you don't have an amp to try it with.

However...if the M50X can work without an amp and you can fold it, and you like its sound as it is...then you can skip getting an amp altogether.

Mar 5, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #29 of 39
Between the Beyers, you'll notice slightly lower volume on the 80ohm running off the smartphone; depending on your phone's audio chip - and at this point I don't have any idea if what you have is the same as the International version or the T-Mobile version (and the latter sucks), so I can't make a clear guess if the 32ohm will have either bloated bass or weak but still less detailed bass. Likely not noticeable beyond the minute response differences between those two models, ie not so much a matter of amplification, when used on the laptop.

If you're getting an amp down the line it wouldn't swing it in favor of either, since the volume and distortion issue will both be addressed by the amp.

Same thing if it's upa against the M50X. It has a higher sensitivity (99dB/1mW I think) which is significant. The amp will likely mean you'll have to really crank it up to start distorting on the Beyers and make its lower sensitivity matter again. The thing is though as much as I can make a guess that getting an amp can make up for the low end the M50X has, you need to have volume matched them wtih a 1000hz sine wave so the M50X wouldn't be playing louder and the bass punch is about the same, provided you adjust how tight you wear both, that's an indicator that the amp can help, even if you don't have an amp to try it with.

However...if the M50X can work without an amp and you can fold it, and you like its sound as it is...then you can skip getting an amp altogether.
Thanks for taking the time to respond again. I'd assume the volume of the 80 ohm may be slightly less but hopefully not by much given the similar sensitivities. I'm going to go back tomorrow to try the 32 ohm on my laptop and if that runs uncomfortably loud, is it safe to assume that the 80 ohm will run fine?

Also my hesitance of settling for the 32 ohm and m50x is firstly the apparent superior bass of the 80 ohm and secondly leatherette padding (which will most likely flake after a year).

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #30 of 39
I believe no one answered your Takstar Pro 82 question--maybe I missed it (sorry if I did). I believe it is a very high performance to price product. Well-made as well. Definitely a good buy. FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back