Beyerdynamic DT770 for Gaming/Music
Mar 2, 2008 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ex0du5

500+ Head-Fier
Okay so I ordered these...and now I want to delve into what I might expect and what equipment I should run these with.

My source would currently be a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. Now, I've never had any experience with Beyers, but how are they going to sound driven by the Audigy 2? If there's one thing I don't like, it's bloated bass...will this be a problem?

If I do add an amp to the setup, how do I go about hooking it up through the Audigy 2? Is there a way to bypass the Audigy 2's amp?

Thanks for the help.

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 6
did you do any research before buying them? To some people, yes these have bloated bass. They will drive fine out of the ZS, get an amp if you want a little more improvement, but it's nothing night and day with these phones in my experience.

You can bypass the audigy amp by getting a DAC.

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 6
I can't recommend anything but the Zhaolu that I use as I have not heard them, you can search a few names and see other's experience with them and go from there.

It also depends on how much you want/can spend also.

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't recommend anything but the Zhaolu that I use as I have not heard them, you can search a few names and see other's experience with them and go from there.

It also depends on how much you want/can spend also.

I have a pair of DT770/80 coming in the mail. In the beginning of April I'll have about $300 to spend on a DAC.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Well as long as the bass isn't too out of control, I'll probably be fine.

For music, I would have liked a pair of Grados or Alessandros, but for what I will be using them for on my PC, I think the DT770s will do much better. Maybe in a few years from now, I'll save up some dough and get a pair of Alessandro MS-Pros and a Mapletree Amp (although I don't know if I'll be able to afford the latter since he seems to keep bumping up his price).

Bassier headphones tend to me much less fatiguing to listen to, and I find they emphasize the important sounds in multiplayer games (shots, footsteps). On top of that, the design of the DT770 look like it should make it fairly simply to attach a microphone to mod it into a headset. Also, they look extremely comfortable for extended sessions (and for that reason, the Grados weren't an option).

If I don't like the, I can probably get most of my money out of them. I spent $160 so I won't lose too much. I'd probably try the Audio Technica A900 next, or perhaps some Denon AD2000. I'm hoping I'll end up liking these.

Also, I wouldn't feel right about spending $300 for a DAC with a relatively low-mid end pair of headphones like these, so I think I'll hold off and just use the Audigy 2. I had considering getting Darths as well, but honestly I'm not a believer in esoteric recabling, so I couldn't really justify spending an extra $200 for a 2M recabling. Maybe some day I'll try it out, but my funds are limited enough to not make the journey worth the risk.

I'll let you all know how the DT770s turn out. I'm pretty excited. Regardless, they should be an incredibly upgrade over my cheapo Plantronics .audio 350. I'm guessing I won't be disappointed.

Oh, and does anyone know if it would be possible to change the pads for black velour pads? I'd much rather having all black phones. Also, does anyone know of the best way to go about attaching a mic to these cans (and what mic would be suitable)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back