Beyerdynamic DT770 + Equalization = Awesome
Oct 19, 2005 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

RobxMcCarthy

100+ Head-Fier
Well I got my Beyerdynamic DT770's today. I was immediately impressed by them but the bass did indeed seem to really mask the mids and the highs were a little opressive. However, after applying equalization following the curve below I found them much more condusive to all kinds of music. Luckily my sound card has very good support for equalization as it doesn't tend to distort anything in the process (also 10% volume is loud and I don't get source distortion until around 75% so I have plenty of leeway). In their native form the beyers seem perfect for techno...but anything else loses lower mid clarity and gets grainy on the highs.

I listen to literally all genres of music, so for anyone else with beyers, try an EQ curve like this and see how you like it.

EQ.jpg

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 22
that seems to follow the thinking that the midrange is a bit hidden in the beyers, which you eq'd up to the fore. recabling reveals the mids too, but also improves soundstage, detail and range. 'till then, eq away!

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 22
'

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 22
'

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 22
The mid range seems VERY slightly recessed. To be honest it was more a case of the bass bleeding through it seemd. EQing it like above tightened it up a lot. Not bloaty like it started but very clean and punchy. I'm beginning to think that EQing could help more than people tend to realize. After all, it made my 7 year old sony MDRv600's very listenable when they sounded like CRAP without it. But these beyers are so far above the sony's it's mind boggeling.

I've never done headphones much, I'm more of a speaker guy, but these have made me a believer.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 22
Any headphone + EQ = awesome.
evil_smiley.gif

I only wish, somebody could come up with a high-end, analog EQ that doesn't cost several grands like the Manley Massive Passive.

I would suggest a paremetric equalizer though. Being able to customize the exact center frequency, gain and bandwith really helps to alleviate critical areas which simple slider-type EQs can't. Plus it's more fun to experiment with various settings and good ear training, too.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Any headphone + EQ = awesome.
evil_smiley.gif

I only wish, somebody could come up with a high-end, analog EQ that doesn't cost several grands like the Manley Massive Passive.

I'm using a paremetric software EQ for Foobar programmed by a Headfier, which works really well and does wonder to most headphones. Being able to customize the exact center frequency, gain and bandwith really helps to alleviate critical areas which simple slider-type EQs can't. And it's really good ear training, too. I think there's a good one for winamp which can then be transported into foobar.

What's the EQ for winamp, because I could use it.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobxMcCarthy
The mid range seems VERY slightly recessed. To be honest it was more a case of the bass bleeding through it seemd.

Good point. IME the midrange was recessed as a result of the bass. But isn't recession by its nature a result of accentuation and vice versa?

Quote:

I'm beginning to think that EQing could help more than people tend to realize.

True that. EQing can do wonders. It just depends on whether one wishes to be a crazy audiophile person and show disdain for any and all types of signal degradation.

I used to eq, but then found it more enjoyable to sample the signatures of headphones, which became akin to the quirks of a favorite lover. You miss them when they are gone.

But it one wants just one headphone. EQing is the way to go.

All IMO of course.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
What's the EQ for winamp, because I could use it.

Shibatch

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 22
Excellent idea.

Any audiophile-level EQ's out there that won't break the bank?

What's the ideal number of discrete EQ dB levels and ranges... 5... 10 ... 20?

I prefer more ranges than fewer, but it would drive me nuts trying to get the perfect EQ for 20 settings
blink.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 22
Foobar has a good eq.

One could buy an E-Mu 0404 and use patchmix in tandem with an Audigy. Patchmix is a good eq even though a pain to work with.

For $300 the Behringer DEQ2496 is a great pro gear EQ that can do the whole kitchen sink. I used it in the digital signal path and could not tell a difference from an unaltered signal.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 22
Robx: What sound card's EQ is that?

I myself would be pretty interested in some kind of high level software EQ (e.g. 31 band, parametric, whatever).

The DEQ2496 is not only a great EQ but also is supposedly a quite good DAC as well with a pretty decent integrated amp, however, I have some problems with dropping $300 all at once
smily_headphones1.gif
Plus it looks like it's a pretty large piece of hardware, so I'd need to find some place to put it.

Oct 19, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #15 of 22
The Behringer DEQ2496 is working for me too. Yes, it has a decent DAC, nothing fancy but good enough. Is not very large with 44.5 mm x 482.6 mm x 217 mm, but of course nothing portable
smily_headphones1.gif
My opinion is the 770 can sound marvelous with a little eq in the middle frequencies. This cans are very responsive to equalization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back