beyerdynamic DT770 different models explained?
Feb 25, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qsilver2001
If order from Meier Audio the 32ohm version, is that the "Manufaktur" version or just the standard colour version?

Hope this is along side with the thread.
As the DT700Pro-80ohm model is not even available in my country let alone the new 32ohm version. As I intend to get one from oversea, which would be a good choice to get? Mainly music on bass and sometimes amp/unamp.

Thanks.

Meier sells only the standard color 32 Ohm. And if you are using unamped, the lower the impedance the better, normally.

But that I know of no one has heard the 32 ohm version yet, and the 250 ohm and 80 ohm versions sound different enough that I imagine the 32 ohm version will have it's own "sound" too...

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #32 of 41
I sometimes might unamp or amp it during my music sessions.
My amps is CMOY & PA2VA [at the moment].
So which is a more versatile/all rounder to get in my case?
Between the three's? 32/80/250 ohm.

Thnaks

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw
Hi,

I'm interested in the DT770 as an alternative to the HD595 for trance goodness. I'm attracted to the DT770s because people who have HD650s and other $$$$$ headphones still keep hold of their DT770s.

I'm confused though about the different versions. Pro, 80ohm, 250ohm, and others!!!

I have a Cyrus 7 integrated amp that seems to have a pretty decent headphone amp inside - I had a look at the tech specs from Cyrus but unfortunately it doesn't list specs of the headphone amp.

Which beyer should I be looking at? And what's all this "Darth" stuff - it's a bit lost on me!

That was the question I wanted to ask - but here's a bit more background info. I want to improve my trance listening and I currently have HD555s. I really liked the 555s but am now irritated by their shortcomings. The main thing they lack is separation of instruments/voice; they kind of mush everything together compared with my friend's 595s. Also the soundstage is muchos betteros with the 595 - this is really poor with the 555s in my opinion. I'm considering the 595s but feel their bass is a bit lacking, also interested in 650s but only if the price is right.

The following songs are particular ones which I want to shine
smily_headphones1.gif

Mandalay - Beautiful
Way Out West - Mindcircus
DJ Sammy - California Dreaming

Thanks for any comments
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm an electronic/trance listener, and I've heard both the 1st and 2nd songs (not the 3rd though). I'd say they have quite a bit of vocals. I can't really recommend anything I haven't heard, but I have DT880s, and I find that the vocals sound nice.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #34 of 41
I bought my DT770-80 from these guys in the UK - After shipping/customs/taxes etc they only cost me 150$CDN, crazy cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEYER-DYNAMIC-DT...QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: Actually the link above is for the 250 ohm version, but I got the 80ohm version from them at the same price.

Edit2: Went back to check and as it turns out, they only charged me £68
biggrin.gif
at the time, that was back in November

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qsilver2001
Will wait for Skylab to do a review on the 32ohm before jumping in.
basshead.gif

Which I for sure will do, when the things actually arrive...

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #37 of 41
Ok, so I went and auditioned some Grado 125s today and the experience gave me a whole new love obsession with my 770-80s... For a while I wasn't completely satisfied, but that's all changed
biggrin.gif

I had a chance to audition a pair of original Grado 325s a few years ago and although I was blown away at the detail, I didn't keep them because the bass just didn't cut it for the kind of music I generally listen to - that coupled with the fact that it brought out all the problems with my equipment and source recordings. But I never forgot how amazed I was with that first Grado experience, and have been debating buying some lower to midrange Grados to compliment my 770s. Almost pulled the trigger on some MS1s last week, but decided I'd better hear the Grado sound again before I spent money I really don't have
cool.gif

Anyway, the 125s I heard today confirmed my suspicions, after getting used to my 770 sound, Grados just aren't going to do it for me (barring the PS1s
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
- though I've never heard them, and likely never will).

So what now... my best guess is to go for a 770 Headphile recable in the hopes that it'll open up the midrange a bit. Seems to be a better way to spend about 100$, no? Although I like the woodies, I don't have the cash for it and to be honest, I LOVE the way the pre-2005 770s look.

Anyhow, just wanted to show some new found love for the Beyer 770s & to the Head-fi community for helping me down the long and treacherous path to audio blissssss!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
So what now... my best guess is to go for a 770 Headphile recable in the hopes that it'll open up the midrange a bit. Seems to be a better way to spend about 100$, no?

Yep. That's the ticket. It'll do the trick (although the full Darth Beyer mod is worth saving up for - it makes a big difference in the sound too, trust me).

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Yep. That's the ticket. It'll do the trick (although the full Darth Beyer mod is worth saving up for - it makes a big difference in the sound too, trust me).

Ok, so it's settled, I'm going to spend 100$ on some wire and a dream, haha. Hey Skylab, noticed your 770s are screened - I've often considered drilling holes in the side of my cups just to cut the extreme dampening... what is the effect on the bass with open/screened cups?

Never heard the 990, but I sort of assumed it would sound essentially like an 'open' 770. Have you ever compared your screened 'Darth Beyer' to a 990? Can you listen to the Darths with the screens covered, or are those 'plugs' (wood screen covers) just for show?

(btw, no emoticons this time around beacause the number I used in my last post was embarassing, haha)

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab

hmm..i wonder how much a recable would help the 990's recessed mids, then?
i was strongly considering the 990 as my next pair of cans 'till i read the midrange is lacking

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Hey Skylab, noticed your 770s are screened - I've often considered drilling holes in the side of my cups just to cut the extreme dampening... what is the effect on the bass with open/screened cups?

i have 2 pairs, one closed, one screened. I have to use the screened ones at work so I can hear the phone ring, but the closed ones sound better to these ears. There is GOBS of bass on the screened ones, but they are pretty rolled off on top when fully open. Nice and mellow, but pretty far from accurate. I like the closed woodies a lot better for the DT770 (for Sennhiesers, which are meant to be open, I find the screened ones better- what a shock).

Quote:

hmm..i wonder how much a recable would help the 990's recessed mids, then?
i was strongly considering the 990 as my next pair of cans 'till i read the midrange is lacking

I bet it would help quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back