beyerdynamic DT770 different models explained?
Feb 13, 2006 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

senny-ftw

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm interested in the DT770 as an alternative to the HD595 for trance goodness. I'm attracted to the DT770s because people who have HD650s and other $$$$$ headphones still keep hold of their DT770s.

I'm confused though about the different versions. Pro, 80ohm, 250ohm, and others!!!

I have a Cyrus 7 integrated amp that seems to have a pretty decent headphone amp inside - I had a look at the tech specs from Cyrus but unfortunately it doesn't list specs of the headphone amp.

Which beyer should I be looking at? And what's all this "Darth" stuff - it's a bit lost on me!

That was the question I wanted to ask - but here's a bit more background info. I want to improve my trance listening and I currently have HD555s. I really liked the 555s but am now irritated by their shortcomings. The main thing they lack is separation of instruments/voice; they kind of mush everything together compared with my friend's 595s. Also the soundstage is muchos betteros with the 595 - this is really poor with the 555s in my opinion. I'm considering the 595s but feel their bass is a bit lacking, also interested in 650s but only if the price is right.

The following songs are particular ones which I want to shine
smily_headphones1.gif

Mandalay - Beautiful
Way Out West - Mindcircus
DJ Sammy - California Dreaming

Thanks for any comments
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 41
The Ancient DT770 came in 600 Ohm and a curly cord. A beast to amp correctly. The Old DT770s came in pro version and non-pro version and ohms of 250 and 80. I think the pros are 80 and the non-pro is 250? Anyhow, go with the 80 Pro, they are easier to drive, although they all really deserve amping. The new version DT770 introduces a 32 Ohm option, which should be quite popular. There is a DT770-M as well, avoid that since it's for drummers that need isolation. It has a vol. control on the cord and SQ isn't great.

Darth Beyers? The modded DT770. Check them out here - http://headphile.com/page8.html

That should do it!
basshead.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 41
All you need to know is the only Beyer DT 770 you want is the Beyerdynamic DT 770-80. That is the one with 80 ohms of impedance, it has superior bass and can be run from a portable. You can only get them at a Guitar Center, though. Expect to pay $150-$200, depending on how good you are at haggling.

Some people have these modified with wood bowls, among other things, to improve audio quality. They're a very popular "mod" can.

The other versions are harder to drive, or don't sound as good.

Remember: DT 770-80. That's what you want.

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
All you need to know is the only Beyer DT 770 you want is the Beyerdynamic DT 770-80. That is the one with 80 ohms of impedance, it has superior bass and can be run from a portable. You can only get them at a Guitar Center, though. Expect to pay $150-$200, depending on how good you are at haggling.

Some people have these modified with wood bowls, among other things, to improve audio quality. They're a very popular "mod" can.

The other versions are harder to drive, or don't sound as good.

Remember: DT 770-80. That's what you want.

I actually have to disagree. The 80ohm is the slightly superior one overall, but the bass monster is the 250ohm version. With proper amping it will shake just about anything out of you. For hip hop and electronica I prefer the 250 ohm version. If the dt770 were my primary can though, I would only go for the 80ohm version.

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw
I'm in the UK.

Is this the one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5865347237

http://headphile.com/page8.html <--- those are some sexy headphones!

No, I don't think that's the right one. I don't see 80 ohm listed anywhere there. You need 80 ohm.

Hmm, first I've heard of anyone prefering an aspect of the standard DT 770. I've been under the impression that it is granier, and not as bassy.

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 41
Yep, that's the 80 Ohm Pro version. But keep in mind that The 32 Ohm version is out very soon with a cosmetic (and maybe sound quality) refresh, so it's worth checking that out. I think Meier Audio is already selling them? Check out his sponsor link above!

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 41
Feb 13, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

But keep in mind that The 32 Ohm version is out very soon with a cosmetic (and maybe sound quality)...

Meier lists "DT770 2006" with following specs

frequency range: 5-35.000 Hz
impedance: 250 Ohm

??

Quote:

I'm not sure about this e-bay auction. Better send the seller a quick e-mail.

Done!

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Yep, that's the 80 Ohm Pro version. But keep in mind that The 32 Ohm version is out very soon with a cosmetic (and maybe sound quality) refresh, so it's worth checking that out. I think Meier Audio is already selling them? Check out his sponsor link above!

You might be right. It does have the same black sticker above the yoke on the headband as mine does. It COULD be the 80 ohm.

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw
Meier lists "DT770 2006" with following specs

frequency range: 5-35.000 Hz
impedance: 250 Ohm

??

I'd ask Jan about the 32 Ohm in particular - I'm certain he can get any of the Ohm versions you like, but the 250 is the default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back