BeyerDynamic DT770/80 or Grado SR 225?
Apr 3, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #16 of 34
True the DT770s mid-bass/mids are abit recessed...but I EQ that slightly if needed...+3dB tops

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 34
I like that they are not "in your face". They sound farther from my ears than the Senns but more deep bass. Doesn't seem to drown out anything in my opinion. It scares me at times though. I was watching the opening to CSI NY and a Who song comes on in the beginning and I heard low, really low bass I've never heard before. I was like......wow is that intense.

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #19 of 34
I would pick the SR225's. IMO they are in a different league when compared to the DT770's. In fact I thought SR80's were much better then the DT770's. IMO the DT770's overpowering bass recessed mids and bight highs = bad sounding headphones.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the overall consensus is to go with the Grados.

Thanks for the input everyone. I might end up buying both and do a review. )

Buying both is certainly the best strategy. You can always sell off the one you don't want.

If it were me, I'd probably go with the Beyers. Love these things.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying both is certainly the best strategy. You can always sell off the one you don't want.

If it were me, I'd probably go with the Beyers. Love these things.

What kind of music do you listen to with the Beyers?

Also, are the Grados as mod-friendly as the Beyers besides pads?

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #23 of 34
I have both of these cans and switch back and forth often. They are my best.

For me, I find I use my DT770's more than my Grados....but the main cause of that, is isolation. I use my computer as source, and prefer the isolation of the Beyers in most cases. Computer fans and what not.

Both are great sounding cans, you won't be disappointed in either.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of music do you listen to with the Beyers?

Also, are the Grados as mod-friendly as the Beyers besides pads?

I listen to all kinds of music with them (rock, metal, psych, classical, jazz, electronic, hip hop, etc). I change between them and the AKGs depending on whether I need a closed phone at the time.

For your musical style, the Grados are more highly recommended, but I'd take the Beyers plus a touch of EQ any day. I find Grados very uncomfortable, but I could wear the Beyers all day.

WiseOx is right though. You certainly won't be disappointed with either.

Apr 4, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #25 of 34
If anyone has a pair of Grado's for sale let me know.
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #26 of 34
eBay My World - nordeq1

This is where I got my $158 DT 770's.

100% trustworthy seller.

You also might want to look into getting the
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Headphones.

Great review just came in about them comparing them to the AKG K601s. I'd have got those if I knew they sounded THAT good. However, they are not closed. I prefer closed. There is a closed version but not sure about the sound besides, I already love the sound of the DT 770's now.

I bet the Grado's don't sound anything like the DT 770's. Just a hunch. I also bet they are not comfortable at all. They look like they will sit right on your ears....ouch!

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaproject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet the Grado's don't sound anything like the DT 770's. Just a hunch. I also bet they are not comfortable at all. They look like they will sit right on your ears....ouch!

Is this in a bad way or good way?

From what research I've done I've been noticing how these cans have an almost polar opposite sound. My only contention now is figuring out what kind of sound I like best. Where that analysis falls short is my limited availability to both cans.
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #29 of 34
Don't know, but I believe Grados are open and DT 770's are closed.

From what I've read around as well....I'd say you'd fair well with the Beyers more, but if you don't NEED closed, look at the AT-AD700. Those have an awesome review and look comfortable too.

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #30 of 34
i find the grado´s quite comfortable, although not as comfortable as the beyers. having only tried the sr60 and ms1 in the grado line, i would recomend them for all music except orchestral disco and electronic music, as opposed to the dt770; the disco-king
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back