Beyerdynamic DT770 / 80 Ohms vs DT770 / 32 Ohms
Jan 18, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does compare the Beyerdynamic DT770 - 80 Ohms to the Beyerdynamic DT770 - 32 Ohms?

Greenhorn, this question gets asked a LOT
orphsmile.gif

But here is the reply I give, since I have both. The DT770 Pro80 is the most balanced in terms of mids and treble of the DT770's, while still having strong bass. The 05/06 DT770 32 is much better sounding than the OLD DT770/250, but the mids are still somewhat recessed, and the treble is a bit edgy. Generally pretty good sounding, but I prefer the DT770/80 if you need closed, and for sure the 05/06 DT990 is better if you don't need closed but still want robust bass.

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greenhorn, this question gets asked a LOT
orphsmile.gif

Not anymore now
smily_headphones1.gif
... thanks, Skylab!

But a new one: a friend wants to buy one of those and she hasn't any amp nor the intention to buy one - so, should I recommend her the 80 or the 32, since she will be using it with a CDP and a common receiver?

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not anymore now
smily_headphones1.gif
... thanks, Skylab!

But a new one: a friend wants to buy one of those and she hasn't any amp nor the intention to buy one - so, should I recommend her the 80 or the 32, since she will be using it with a CDP and a common receiver?

Both sound better amped, IMO, but either should be able to be driven by the headphone out of a receiver.

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 9
It´s actually okay out of an X-Fi as well unamped. Not a huge difference with a pimeta at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It´s actually okay out of an X-Fi as well unamped.

I second this for the 80 ohm version. It sounded real sweet unamped out of my x-fi, but the soundstage and speed of detailing increased after I got my headfive amp
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 9
Nobody can gainsay Skylab with his huge experience of DT-model cans, but for an alternative view, here's what Headroom have to say about the new DT770 (250 ohm version): The recessed mid-ranges of yore have also been nicely beefed-up and are now significantly better-detailed to our ears than just about any other sealed/closed headphone on the market today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back