Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm or DT880 250 Ohm with a Zen DAC (bass level related)?
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

armdias

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have my fair share of “neutral” headphones and I’m currently looking to get a Beyer, to add to my collection and since I don’t have any from this brand.

I’m looking for a “fun” headphone to listen mainly to metal music, with a somewhat boosted bass (but not Beats levels boosted bass!) and I’ve read good things about the DT770 80 Ohm, as having a punchy tight bass and good for metal.

But... for a little more I can get the 880 250 Ohm, with more soundstage (being semi-open), a more refined headphone, but less bass and more neutral/even frequency response. Besides, the 880’s would be my first purchase to my objective of having the 3 classics “mid-fi” trio headphones.

This is all from what I’ve read in reviews, though.

Since I have an IFI Zen DAC where I’ll plug the Beyers and having the Zen DAC a bass boost, if I choose the 880’s, do you think this feature would somewhat bring the 880 250 bass level to a 770 80 one? Any thoughts/experience about this setup?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 3
I can't speak to the bass boost of the Zen DAC, but I do have a 250 ohm DT 880. You obviously recognize that the 770 and 880 are different in that the former is closed and the latter semi-open (though it's basically just open). Does that make any different for your use or needs? You also mention that you want something that's more "fun" since you already have some neutral headphones. That alone would push me to recommend the 770 to you since the 880 is pretty neutral. It's still on the bright side, but definitely doesn't have as strong of a V signature as the 770 or 990. I haven't listened to the 770 before since I prefer open-back cans, but having used both 880 and 990, I can definitely say go with the 990 if you want something on the "fun" side--as long as you're not treble sensitive. Granted, the Zen DAC may make the 880 more fun with the bass boost, but someone else will need to chime in to confirm that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back