Beyerdynamic DT 990 weird replacement driver
May 28, 2010 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

roladyzator

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
Last week I ordered replacement driver for my DT 990 '05 (250 ohm) and I was really surprised to find out that the driver I received was different from the original one - it had no perforated metal shield in the front side of the driver - instead there was just some blueish circle and I could see some plastic construction underneath. When contacted, the dealer replied to me that they use the same part number for all of the DT 990 205 ohm drivers. I have sent an email regarding this case to Beyerdynamic, but I am still waiting for an answer.
Has anybody put this weird replacement driver in their 990s? If so, then does it sound equal to the original one? I am not installing the driver until I am sure it won't compromise the sound of the headphones, because then I would lose my right to return it. 
I can upload a photo from my cellphone if you like, you can't see the details on this one but it clearly shows the difference.

Cheers:)

May 28, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 6
This is a quality picture of DT 990s original driver, posted some time ago by QQQ

And this is how the new driver looks like:

I'm sorry for the terrible quality, but you can see that there's no shield, and also that the bump in the new driver is slightly bigger.

May 29, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 6
It's not the driver that's different but just the shield that covers and protects the driver. It could be acoustically transparent enough that you won't notice.

For what it's worth, all the beyer driver housings I have look the same as your new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back