Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro or DT 1990 Pro?
Jun 2, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #18 of 22
Yeah another vote for the DT1990, I remember when they first landed in the UK (at my old job) and upon first listen I thought they were something very special. Great full lows, and a very balanced sound that isn't piercing like some of the old Beyers.

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 22
While searching for the dt 990 pro, i've seen 2 designs, i'm awar that there are premium, pro, black edition models, but i saw different designs on 2 pro models, one has "beyerdynamic" written on the sides, while the other one, the most common, has "DT 990 PRO" written. I just want to know what's up with that. Is there a difference? Hope someone could help. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #20 of 22
While searching for the dt 990 pro, i've seen 2 designs, i'm awar that there are premium, pro, black edition models, but i saw different designs on 2 pro models, one has "beyerdynamic" written on the sides, while the other one, the most common, has "DT 990 PRO" written. I just want to know what's up with that. Is there a difference? Hope someone could help. Thanks!

Difference between them is the build material. Drivers are the same.

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 22
Get agdr O2 w/ mods and booster board with SMSL idea DAC with DT1990 and do a toilet paper ply mod for treble damping to get ultimate reference

Better than Focal Utopia and Senn HD800 w/ HDV800.

Hi, amateur here, seeking help from experienced audiophiles.

My Sennheiser HD595 isn't working properly anymore, so it's time to replace it. I'm looking for open headphones with a warm sound signature and with plenty of bass (I like a good rumble :D ). In other words, I'm looking for something completely different than the HD595, which I find neutral and boring.

The headphones will be used for the following, while connected to a Windows PC:
- Gaming, primarily FPS games like CS:GO and PU Battleground, so good imaging is important
- Watching movies and TV shows, good bass is particularly important here
- Music - many different genres like metal, rock, classical, rap and so on.

After quite a bit of searching, I was about to settle for a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro as they seem to be one of the only open headphones with the amount of bass I'm looking for, even though I'm a bit concerned about the treble people keep characterizing as harsh. But then I got an offer to buy a Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro that is barely used for almost half the price of a new one. From what I understand, I also need a headphone amp and a DAC. If it's any good, I have a Xonar D2/PM sound card that possibly could be used as a DAC?

My budget is about 700 USD for headphones, amp and DAC. The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro costs 220 USD new, and I can buy the used Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro's for about 400 USD (they cost 700 new in my country). If I buy the 1990's, I have 300 USD left for amp+DAC. Here's the local price for some of the often recommended amps and DACs:
- Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 = 160 + 160 = 320 USD
- Schiit Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 Uber = 230 + 230 = 460 USD
- Schiit Asgard 2 = 370 USD
- O2+ODAC not available from local vendor, 279 USD from official webpage + 25% taxes = 350 USD
- Creative SoundBlaster Z = 80 USD

Should I go for the 1990's, or is the 990's better suited for my preference and usage? It's worth mentioning that I can return the 990's if I don't like them, but I can't return the 1990's since I would not be buying them in a store. Which amp+DAC combo do you recommend that I get? It's important that the equipment I buy is capable to get out the full potential of the headphones.

I would really appreciate any help I can get!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back