Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 vs Sennheiser hd 598
Nov 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

VVCephei

New Head-Fier
Hey! I tried to find out which one would be better for my use,but I could not find any answer that would satisfy me.
I'm choosing between these two headphones,I will be using them mostly for games,so the soundstage is very important for me,though I also listen to electronic music,dubstep,hip hop,house and things like that.
From what I read Beyers would find way better use in music genres that I listen to,but how about games?
Will it be much worse that Sennheiser?
I will use headphones with my onboard audio card,ALC1150 but I will upgrade it in future.
Any help much appreciated!

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 17
The dt990 is generally considered a more v shaped/bassy and bright can but might be hard to drive straight out of your onboard stuff. Both are considered good gaming cans so I doubt there is a night and day difference.

The Hifiman he300 would probably fit your requirements
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE300Rev2.pdf
http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-300
They're pretty bassy and easy to drive

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 17
Thank you for reply.

Hifiman he300 costs 350$ in my country.

From what I've read my onboard card can drive headphones up to 600 ohm,so I think that I shouldn't have problems with that+I will upgrade it to Essence STX in the future.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 17
What about Fidelio X1/X2?

DT990s are good for gaming as well, their only downside is that they are really unforgiving of poorly recorded music. So they accentuate sibilance and those things.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 17
  What about Fidelio X1/X2?

DT990s are good for gaming as well, their only downside is that they are really unforgiving of poorly recorded music. So they accentuate sibilance and those things.

Thanks for reply.

I cant get Fidelio,they are not avaible in my country.

I actually did a research on headphones,and Senn HD 598 and Beyers DT 990 PRO are the best avaible options I can go with I think.

It's not a big problem with the quality,Im mostly listening to FLAC files.The biggest thing that Im worried about Beyers is that their bass will make footsteps too quiet/the soundstage is shorter Sennheiser's soundstage.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 17

Thanks for reply.

I cant get Fidelio,they are not avaible in my country.

I actually did a research on headphones,and Senn HD 598 and Beyers DT 990 PRO are the best avaible options I can go with I think.

It's not a big problem with the quality,Im mostly listening to FLAC files.The biggest thing that Im worried about Beyers is that their bass will make footsteps too quiet/the soundstage is shorter Sennheiser's soundstage.

Hey, I'm not talking about file quality, I'm talking about recording quality. Most modern (non audiophile) music is really compressed, and DT990's treble is very revealing, that's why many people claim that these are harsh and often unlistenable headphones. DT990s really shine with well produced music.

DT990s bass is definitely powerful when compared with something like HD598, but still not a 'bass head' headphone. So the bass shouldn't be a problem. The treble is much more upfront so you won't lose details despite the bass. You should really try them, it's often hard to transmit how a headphone sounds.

HD598s are a much safer pick, unless you want powerfull mid-bass.

Best Luck!

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 17
  Hey, I'm not talking about file quality, I'm talking about recording quality. Most modern (non audiophile) music is really compressed, and DT990's treble is very revealing, that's why many people claim that these are harsh and often unlistenable headphones. DT990s really shine with well produced music.

DT990s bass is definitely powerful when compared with something like HD598, but still not a 'bass head' headphone. So the bass shouldn't be a problem. The treble is much more upfront so you won't lose details despite the bass. You should really try them, it's often hard to transmit how a headphone sounds.

HD598s are a much safer pick, unless you want powerfull mid-bass.

Best Luck!

Oh,okay got it.

I'm not really sure what do you mean by non-audiophile music.Could you maybe give me a example if that's possible?

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 17

Oh,okay got it.

I'm not really sure what do you mean by non-audiophile music.Could you maybe give me a example if that's possible?

Sorry, I could have explained more.

By audiophile music I mean most of jazz, classical and acoustic music often made by the so called audiophile record labels such as Chesky Records, Telarc, First Impression Music, 2L, etc. In those recordings, a great job is made in order to bring you the closest to the real sound of the instruments playing, preserving the acoustic effects of the room or hall when the recording really happened.

An example would be:
Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th ward (from Chesky Records)
(Great sounding album by the way)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYqQV8xiR2A

On the other hand there are plenty of recordings made abusing of compression technics in order to make them louder and "better sounding" for casual listeners using low quality reproduction systems. These is a really discussed topic called Loudness War.

So most of the modern (non 'audiophile') music is really affected by the loudness war. When reproduced through a well engineered audio system with a neutral and revealing nature, most of the flaws in the recording show up, and you get wrong tone for instruments, lack of air, lack of punch, more sibilance than desired, etc.

Dynamic ranges under 7 are definitely not desired for great reproduction quality. The problem is that nowadays it's pretty difficult to find recordings with good dynamic range outside of the genres I've listed in the begining.
That's why slightly darker and more forgiving headphones are often better picks as all rounders (Fidelio X1/2, HD650, Audeze headphones, etc.) while revealing headphones like HD800 are most of the times recommended for classical, well recorded jazz and acoustic music.

Here you have a DR Database:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Hope this helps!

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 17
I agree with X3, that DT 990 has a harsh high frequency or more sibilant. I own it

But, its an excellent can offering you a rich open sound with good bass( expect bass with good amp)
If you really want to stick with DT 990, you just need to tweak the upper band and you could enjoy
hours of music without fatigue!! 

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 17
Then there's also always the K/Q/701/702/712 which has an enormous soundstage without the harsh highs of a 990. The Q701 is now under 200 on Amazon. I love mine for gaming. I don't know if anyone else will agree with me on this but the 598's upper mids sounded too sharp to my ears. The HD600 sounded correct though, but that's probably not in your price range.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 17
I thought about AKG's,but I really would prefer to buy them in my country.And they goes here for at least 300$ :/

Now I understand,thank you a lot for that post x3

Im a bit wondering what that "harsh" term means.Is this something that is really so annoying that you cant listen to some types of music?

Because if so,its pretty much obivious that I will go with HD598,because most of the music that I listen to will have the "harsh" effect.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #12 of 17
The 598s just had hotter than neutral upper midrange to my ears. Somewhere in the range of 4k is what I mean. Not as bad as like an MDR-V6 but it was enough to make the distorted guitar in some metal that I listen to quite aggravating.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 17
The DT990 by comparison is ultra painful but in the treble instead, where your hearing is most sensitive. I couldn't handle the 990 Pro 250 the one time I heard it for more than a few minutes. I don't know how anyone tolerates that thing. Alas, everyone's taste differs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back