Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro VS DT440
Apr 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jaja

New Head-Fier
So I own both of these headphones.  First I owned the DT440 which I adored.  The ball joints broke on both though after about 2 years.  I picked up some DT880 pro's not long after.  Today I resoldered the wires on the DT440 as they had separated earlier.  The headband still is broken but I was able to now compare both my DT880 and DT440 back to back.  I remember when I picked up the DT880 it had that beyer sound just as the DT440 had.  But now comparing back to back I actually enjoy the DT440 just as much if not more than the 880.   To me it seemed the 440 actually had a smoother top end and had more "air" and sparkle to it while having less sibilance than the 880.  The mids were more forward too which was a nice pleasant surprise while still being just as smooth as the 880.  Bass response on both are tight, accurate and smooth with the 440 having just a little more emphasis.  Also I found the soundstage to be more expansive on the dt440 believe it or not.  The vocals also seem more "smeared" on the 880 to me.  Keep in mind this is just what I quickly thought off the bat.  But wow the 440 is impressive.  Too bad not many people own or have heard them as they really are a gem.  Only problem was the folding headband prone to breaking.  But I wanna know if anyone has had experience with the DT440 and what they thought. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 4
i havent heard the 440...sounds like a great buy...enjoy it bro !

what is your current setup btw ?

sometimes the "higher range" cans scale better, otherwise they perform below par.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
i havent heard the 440...sounds like a great buy...enjoy it bro !

what is your current setup btw ?

sometimes the "higher range" cans scale better, otherwise they perform below par.

Thanks man.  I use a lower end scarlett 2i2 interface.  I produce a little bit on the side for fun.  Thinking about getting a standalone amp though that isn't too pricey.  But yea I was surprised by the 440.  I also remember hearing the 880 for the first time and I was a little dissapointed over the 440 I could remember.  My fav headphone though is still my akg q701.  I think the 440 comes in second though not far behind if any over the akg. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back