Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro Headphones (250 Ohm) and Aune T1: Will this work well/better options
May 30, 2014 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rnerem

New Head-Fier
I am currently in the market for a new setup. I listen to to almost all genres of music and I am a very analytical listener. I own the Meelectronics A161 and I hope to continue to use it. This is what lead me to the Dt-880 Pro. I have read that it is a very analytical headphone and I think that the semi-open design would contrast with my A161 very well. Because of budget constraints I am looking to purchase the 250 Ohm Pro version and from what I can tell this means I will want a amp to drive it better that my macbook. I am looking at a combined amp/DAC because I currently experience a lot of noise when I plug my A161 into my computer. The Aune T1 seems to be one of the best fits since the tube may contrast the DT-880 sound sig and make it more neutral. I like the price of FiiO DAC/AMP but I am worried they will not have enough power. I am also  very confused about SS vs. tube I think I understand the SQ differences fairly well but I don't understand the purpose of the tube and the differences in function of a tube on a DAC and a tube on a amplifier.

Sorry for the long post. My questions are:

What is the difference between the Pro and Premium DT-880?
Will the Aune T1 and DT-880 work well together?
What are the differences in function of a tube on a DAC and a tube on a amplifier?
Are there any other headphones or DAC/amp that I should be looking at int the same price range?

Thanks a lot!

May 30, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 5
  I am currently in the market for a new setup. I listen to to almost all genres of music and I am a very analytical listener. I own the Meelectronics A161 and I hope to continue to use it. This is what lead me to the Dt-880 Pro. I have read that it is a very analytical headphone and I think that the semi-open design would contrast with my A161 very well. Because of budget constraints I am looking to purchase the 250 Ohm Pro version and from what I can tell this means I will want a amp to drive it better that my macbook. I am looking at a combined amp/DAC because I currently experience a lot of noise when I plug my A161 into my computer. The Aune T1 seems to be one of the best fits since the tube may contrast the DT-880 sound sig and make it more neutral. I like the price of FiiO DAC/AMP but I am worried they will not have enough power. I am also  very confused about SS vs. tube I think I understand the SQ differences fairly well but I don't understand the purpose of the tube and the differences in function of a tube on a DAC and a tube on a amplifier.

Sorry for the long post. My questions are:

What is the difference between the Pro and Premium DT-880?
Will the Aune T1 and DT-880 work well together?
What are the differences in function of a tube on a DAC and a tube on a amplifier?
Are there any other headphones or DAC/amp that I should be looking at int the same price range?

Thanks a lot!

A lot of user like how the Aune T1 sounds with the DT 880, and the only differance in the preium and Pro is the price :/ get the pro it's cheaper but it has a coiled cable I for one like coiled cables] 

and honestly I think you will very much enjoy the comboniation that your looking at getting :3, 

May 30, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 5

My best guess.
A DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) does not use a tube (analog), except it seems it can be used as a boost for a pre-output analog signal.
(Which I'm not really sure how that is different from amplifying)

A DAC with a built in headphone amplifier can use the tube as an amplifier, there are hybrid amplifiers that use both tubes and solid state.

May 30, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 5
Purple Angle - In the Aune T1 the tube is a part of the DAC not the amplifier. Are you saying that the tube is used in-between the DAC and the amp?

Mshenay- Thanks a lot for your help!

May 31, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 5
  Purple Angle - In the Aune T1 the tube is a part of the DAC not the amplifier. Are you saying that the tube is used in-between the DAC and the amp?

Mshenay- Thanks a lot for your help!

From my best guess and what info I could find on the Aune T1.
When you connect something to the T1's RCA (analog) inputs, the analog audio signal goes straight to the T1's solid state headphone amplifier, then out the headphone jack.
When you plug something into the T1's USB (digital) input, the digital signal is sent to the DAC chip (PCM1793?),
after the DAC has changed the digital  audio signal to an analog audio signal, the analog signal is then sent to the tube,
(I'm assuming the tube adds some sort of amplification or change to the analog signal), that analog signal is then sent from the tube to the solid state amplifier, then to the headphone jack.
So when your using the USB input, the T1 is acting like a hybrid (tube & solid state) headphone amplifier.
When using the RCA input, the T1 acts like a solid state amplifier (because the tube is bypassed).

So yes, the tube is used between the DAC chip and the solid state amplifier.
I think the idea with the tube is you can easily swap to different types of tubes, which change the "favor" of the sound.

Here is a link to a Aune T1 thread where you can read up and ask lots of people questions, who know a lot more about the T1, then me.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq

Users who are viewing this thread

Back