Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro amping query
Feb 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:
As I don't live in the USA nor Europe, it's difficult for me to find decent hi-fi components. So far, my JVC QL-A5 turntable is great (the technics I've ordered were in very bad shape). But yes, I've decided not to buy the Kenwood. A friend of mine is looking for some vintage amps that could be decent (marantz for example).

I would love to go to a store and find the Marantz PM 5004 just sitting there, waiting to be bought, but unfortunately in Argentina that doesn't happen. The only way is to order it via Amazon, but my country has severe restrictions regarding foreign products, and the price could go much higher than $420. Of course, I would love to start my home audio using new components, but the only way to do that here is to start with vintage gear, and then when I have the money I could order them.

Just where do you live? It's useful to know when it comes to prices and availability.

I don't see that a tight budget requires you to go vintage. indeed, some vintage stuff is quite expensive. The cheapest and best route is to buy quality stuff from the 90s and naughties through Ebay. You can get good Marantz, Denon, Rotel and NAD integrated amps maybe 10 years old for very little. Alternatively many home theatre receivers have a great sound--something like a Marantz SR4400, which you could get for maybe $150. These are beautifully built, have every convenience, including remote, and should give you no trouble in terms of servicing. Frankly, I just don't see where vintage comes into this equation.  

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Just where do you live? It's useful to know when it comes to prices and availability.

I don't see that a tight budget requires you to go vintage. indeed, some vintage stuff is quite expensive. The cheapest and best route is to buy quality stuff from the 90s and naughties through Ebay. You can get good Marantz, Denon, Rotel and NAD integrated amps maybe 10 years old for very little. Alternatively many home theatre receivers have a great sound--something like a Marantz SR4400, which you could get for maybe $150. These are beautifully built, have every convenience, including remote, and should give you no trouble in terms of servicing. Frankly, I just don't see where vintage comes into this equation.  

I live in Argentina, as I said before in the comments above. The prices are quite different in the USA, because as I can see people still value vintage gear. In my home town Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires most vintage stuff isn't expensive (well at least it's much cheaper than new gear). Also, the man I know has hundreds of vintage amps and turntables, making the search for hi-fi components a lot easier. FYI 1 dollar is equal to 5 pesos (argentinian currency), but due to restrictions (we can't buy dollars) the illegal dollar is 7 pesos.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #18 of 21

Is this it? I think I can just see you hanging out of one of those apartment windows. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #20 of 21
Looks like a nice neighbourhood. Anyway, let us know what you end up with. If it's vintage, it'll probably be something I owned once.
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #21 of 21
I'll let you know of course. I think I'm getting the amp this week, so I'll go to the record store with the beyers to see if they pair well with the amp. And then maybe you could recomend some nice speakers (not necessarily vintage). I'll let you know what my budget is after I get the amp. Thanks for all the help and atention 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back