Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro (250 Ohm) left driver problem.
Feb 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

VortexBlast

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a pair of Beyers DT-880 Pro a couple of weeks ago. Being my first mid/high-end cans, I really liked it. So much that I often wear it outside.
A few days ago, when I was hearing Angel by Massive Attack, I noticed that the left side started rattling, distorting at high volumes (around 5 on the FiiO E11). I then wondered why would it distort on only bass heavy songs with lots of sub-bass. I began searching around on the net and found that there might be some hair stuck on the driver. The fix was just opening the protective ring where the foam is and just pick hairs that might have been stuck on the driver. I'm more of a DIY type of guy and hate sending items back for repairs. I opened it up after many attempts and fear of breaking the whole thing. But instead of hair I found this.

Yes, that's a very tiny hole. And that might have been the culprit for the rattling sound on the left side on sub-bass songs.
Now I posted this because I don't know what to do anymore. I've got the receipt, the original box and everything but I've opened it up. I tried to clean up any evidence that might reveal that it's been opened and successfully removed the majority.
Should I just return them to the store where I bought them and ask for a replacement or repair? Or should I just ignore it but listen to it on lower volumes? I'm a bit OK on the latter but then it's kind of annoying that that hole is there. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the same problem with my DT880s' left driver! I also popped mine open and found a small hole which I then filled with super glue.... It didn't fix it, but I think it made it slightly less noticeable. This has led me to believe that it's something besides the hole. I figured that since Beyerdynamic only covers purchases from authorized retailers I was screwed anyway (I bought mine new, but on an auction site).

I have been debating whether it's worth the cost to have them replace the driver (probably about $100 and a month of waiting). The REALLY annoying thing is that it is only noticeable during like 2% of my music listening, but the fact that it's not perfect bothers me.

However, if it really is something as simple as that piece of cloth, it makes me want to just replace that myself. But I don't want to bother if it won't help though. I would also have to make sure it was the type that they use, or else that could drastically change the sound.

Also, I'm curious... Do you have the 03s or the 05s? I have the 03s. The problem might be more noticeable with the 05s because they have more bass, but I don't know for sure. I can definitely hear what you are talking about on Angels by Massive Attack though. Makes me think that we have the same problem. Anyway, have you done anything about it yet?

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 7
I've got the Pro version. Which is the 05 Edition but with small changes.
I was kinda pissed to see that tiny hole but then I thought that it would not hurt much to return it to the store. When I returned it, the guy was extremely generous. He didn't look for any faults or any tampering. He took it, went somewhere and brought me a brand new pair. All that in less than 5 minutes. I was extremely happy.

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 7
This hole has nothing to do with your problem. It is only in the acoustic dampening paper. The driver is under the felt.
You can fix your rattling problem with duct tape. Put a piece of it on the felt and pull the tape off. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 7
As I've said earlier, I've replaced it with a brand new pair and it has no problems now.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 7
What will pulling the duct tape off the felt do? It is because the felt has loose hairs? I'm open to suggestions since it doesn't bother me enough to spend another $100....

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 7
Does anyone know? I don't really want to start another thread because this one is so close to my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back