Beyerdynamic DT 880 impressions…
Sep 28, 2007 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

covame

Head-Fier
I bought the DT880’s about 3 weeks ago, I wasn’t expecting that much of them because about two months ago I bought a pair of DT 990, they sounded good but not enough to keep them, so I returned the DT990’s after 10 days.
My first impression was very good because B&H gave me a pair of DT231 for free with my purchase of the DT880.

The sound:
After 24 hours of “burn in” I connected them to the RSA HR-2 and listened to some music from my computer, my first thought was: “Why didn’t I buy them before?” I was impressed with the way that the DT880 sounded. The headphones deliver details in a way that I never heard with others headphones, and this is not at the expense of the enjoyment of music. The DT880’s sound different with each record; I feel that they don’t impose their “signature” to the music, allowing you to listen to the music as closely at it was recorded. I found the sound of the DT880’s very balanced: the bass tuneful, present and not prominent; the mids neutral, and the highs are nice extended and not bright, at least with the HR-2. Another thing that I like about these headphones is that I can enjoy the music at low volume, so I can listen for long time without fatigue.
I’m not interested in comparing them, mi opinion is that they are very good headphones, they not are the best at soundstage, dynamics, dynamic range, speed and tone. But they are good in any area, overall: I love the DT880.

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 25
Nice impressions=] If you don't mind, can you mention what headphones are better than the DT880 in the attributes you mentioned, like soundstage etc? I'm very interested in knowing
tongue.gif
Thanks!

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 25
IMO and in my system….
AKG K701 has better soundstage and highs: but don’t have the dynamics , tone or texture and bass, of the DT880.
HD650 has better soundstage, dynamics, bass and tone with low frequency instruments (like cello or pipe organ):but not the speed, tone with high frequency instruments like violins or trumpets and the balanced sound among the frequency of the DT880.
The Grado SR225 and the Sennheiser HR595 have intimacy and prat, although they sound different; but they don’t have the soundstage and dynamics and dynamic range of the DT880.
IMO the DT880 is the headphones with less compromises.
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 25
I'm even more excited about buying my DT880's now.

Yours are the '05+ 250 ohm ones right?

Thanks for your impressions on the 880's I have no doubt that I'll love them now!

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 25
The 600 Ohm models have much better dynamics, this is especially evident when listening to percussion. They deal with transients effortlessly! I believe that you would find the speed and timing much better that the standard 250 Ohm model.

Good review, I'm glad you like them!

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 25
First impressions are the sometimes the best. I fell in love with my 05 880s the first time I heard a Diana Krall SACD through them. I ended up getting rid of them, but now I remember how they made me feel like Diana was about to lick my ear.

I also love that case they came in. Great cans. Enjoy, and quit reading head-fi.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 600 Ohm models have much better dynamics, this is especially evident when listening to percussion. They deal with transients effortlessly! I believe that you would find the speed and timing much better that the standard 250 Ohm model.

Ok.. Looking to buy the 880's. How can I tell which is the 600 ohm model. Just ordered a Darkvoice 332 for the Beyers and didn't know there was a 600 ohm version! Think they would sound better with the amp.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by neogeosnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok.. Looking to buy the 880's. How can I tell which is the 600 ohm model. Just ordered a Darkvoice 332 for the Beyers and didn't know there was a 600 ohm version! Think they would sound better with the amp.

the 600ohm version can only be custom ordered from the manufacturer, normal places won't have them. If you don't want to spend that much on the dt880s (I think they are like 500 something USD for the 600ohm) then the best bet is to wait on a deal for a used pair, I've seen them go for 375shipped.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 25
for anyone interested in a pair, i am selling a 2003 model with upgraded cardas cable (see link in sig). they are great headphones but i am selling all of my single-ended headphones. balanced is just better.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by neogeosnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have to order the 600 Ohm model directly from Beyerdynamic. You can order them here.

You do need a good amp, but I'm not familiar with the amp you mentioned so I really couldn't say if it would have any trouble driving them.

If you check out this thread you can read more about the custom models.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 25
BTW, the price will vary with the options you choose and the exchange rate.

Mine came in at around $425 delivered.

Mine arrived in 2 weeks.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Mine arrived in 2 weeks.

do you know if they can be ordered with XLR terminations?

edit: i just looked. it seems not. that's pretty lame.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Mine arrived in 2 weeks.

thats not too bad at all actually. I guess 500 something is with more "options"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back