Beyerdynamic DT-880: Hope they improve after burn in!
Sep 5, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #16 of 63
I also picked up the 880s on the most recent Amazon deal. I actually loved them right out of the box. However, burn-in helped tame the treble and open the bass. 100 hours really evened them out.

I do prefer the SR225 for rock. After a steady diet of the 880s it took a few tracks to adjust to the Grado sound. But to me the Grados always get rock right, the way I believe it should sound. Bass presentation is completely different in the two cans. The 880s have ample bass but it is tight. The 225s have more thump to the bass but it is somewhat muddier than the 880s.

The Beyers are great cans that sound wonderful with many different music genres. Detail is incredible and source is sooooo important when listening to them. But if you listen primarily to rock then you may enjoy the Grados more. But give the Beyers a week. They may grow on you.

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #18 of 63
I don't feel that the bass / treble volume changes with burnin, although little subtle details in them may. I had a brand new dt880 with one 500+ hour one and A/Bing did not reveal significant treble/bass balance differences. That is your ears getting used to the signature which is just as if not more important in this hobby.

When coming from listening to marshmallows outside in noisey environments, the dt880s sound what you guys describe when you get them brand new.

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #19 of 63
No reason to hijack his thread. If you wish to discuss burnin with me, feel free to PM. I stand by what I said
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #20 of 63
I didn't notice much, if any, burn in with the DT880.

Just pulled the stats on your Yulong DAH1; it only has about 200mW of output. I didn't see what the output impedance was, so you might be getting less than 200mW depending on impedance mismatch.

In my opinion, that is not enough power to drive the DT880 properly. Look for an amp putting out 500mW (0.5W) or more. Preferably with tubes. The DT880 is an excellent headphone, but you have to give it enough power. It's like driving a Ferrari with 60 octane fuel and then bitching about how a Ferrari is a lousy car.

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #22 of 63
like Erik said

power them

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #23 of 63
Use them for a week, and you may get used to their sound. Or you may not. They are not a 770 or a 990. Maybe you should have ordered one of those. Burn your brain in and see what happens. They are great phones, but not very warm.

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't notice much, if any, burn in with the DT880.

Just pulled the stats on your Yulong DAH1; it only has about 200mW of output. I didn't see what the output impedance was, so you might be getting less than 200mW depending on impedance mismatch.

In my opinion, that is not enough power to drive the DT880 properly. Look for an amp putting out 500mW (0.5W) or more. Preferably with tubes. The DT880 is an excellent headphone, but you have to give it enough power. It's like driving a Ferrari with 60 octane fuel and then bitching about how a Ferrari is a lousy car.

The box they came in says "Power handling capacity: 100mW"

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerumenator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The box they came in says "Power handling capacity: 100mW"

Amps don't put out maximum power all of the time. They only put out the maximum rating with the volume knob at 100% and playing a loud passage. An amp usually distorts and clips at that point, as well.

So, if you're using a 200mW amp, you might be sending just 10mW or 20mW to the headphones. Use a more powerful amp, and you'll send a lot more. You will hear the difference.

And you won't hurt the headphones, either. I regularly run mine from a 500mW amp and have for almost two years. They're fine.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #28 of 63
I've been listening to my new DT880's all day from Laptop> D2 Boa and I'm liking them more and more. I do have Them Bones in lossless and I think I noticed the problem with it.

The song sucks. <_<

No, but more seriously, in direct comparison with my Grados, that song attacks a lot weaker on the DT 880's I can agree with that.

I think "Polite" was a sufficient adjective for these cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

However since I have to option to just change phones for certain songs, I really enjoy the 880 and plan to keep it. Can't blame you for wanting to return them however not everyone will be looking for what these phones deliver.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #30 of 63
They both sound amazing, and both are extremely comfortable for someone with huge ears like me.... Really they are both so good I find them hard to compare, I took the easier route and mostly played them against my Grados. But I can try to listen intently to both tomorrow (Going to bed now) and try to discern any differences useful to a prospective purchaser.

But right now I'll preface by saying they both sound amazing, both are large and comfortable, both look good. With a price difference of something like 80 dollars (I think) at the moment, I'd have to say my initial inclination is to prefer the AT's over the Beyer's simply because of the price difference.

But I'll try to break down the difference in flavors as best I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back