Beyerdynamic DT-880 (250 Ohm vs 600 Ohm) for Music, Videos Game, and Recording.
May 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Abacusrexx

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi members,

I've been wanting to get a pair of high quality headphones for a while and now that I have to dough, I'm ready to buy. 

I've been looking at the DT-880's and I really like the look of them. I will be using them on an external music player (iPod, smartphone...) probably combined with a portable FiiO USB/DAC amplifier such as the E7

I will use the headphones for Music (metal, rock, classical), Games (Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, Mafia II etc...). Recording and mixing of music for short-films and personal enjoyment. This shouldn't really be a determining factor though. 

I'm willing to spend tops of $500 for everything.

These are my questions:

Headphones: Are the DT-880's recommended for what I laid out above? Would you recommend the 250 Ohm or 600 Ohm version? 

Amplifier: I've been looking at the FiiO E7 for use with my computer at home and for portable use or possibly the E6 for portable use. How does that sound? Any other recommendations? 

Sound Card: For games I want surround sound. I was looking at the Asus Xonar X1. How does that sound? Any other recommendations?

Microphone: For online chatting (Skype) I was going to get an AntLion ModMic Attachable Boom Microphone. I've heard they're great, How does that sound?

Thanks for reading.

May 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 26
DT880 are NOT portable and neither of those amps are enough to power them. You are gonna need a desktop amp. There are also a bunch of DT series threads you can look through for more info to see if you like more than just the look of them.  

May 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 26
Hi,

The DT880 is a great headphone for all that you described; however, you should be aware that being an open headphone, it won't be too good for portable use. It will leak sound and not isolate from outside noise. It also doesn't fold and is basically not designed in any way for portable use.

If you're just going to use it at home, it will definitely satisfy all of your needs. It has a big soundstage, so it is great for movies and games. It is also great for all kinds of music. Being a very neutral headphone, it is also great as a studio headphone.

Since you want to use the Fiio E7, the 250 Ohm version will be better for you. The E7 will struggle to drive the 600 Ohm version. It drives the 250 Ohm version fine though, contrary to what the previous poster wrote. If you don't mind a coiled cable, the DT880 Pro is slightly cheaper than the Premium version, while sounding basically exactly the same (as they use the same drivers). 

May 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 26
Well they're not as portable as a pair of ear-buds, no, but they CAN be moved from location to location. They'll mainly be at home, but if I do go somewhere I don't want to carry around a large amp.

Do you mean the E7 won't be powerful enough for even the 250 Ohm version?

I've read the other DT-880 threads. 

May 5, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:
Jupitreas, 

What kind of amp would you recommend for the 600Ohm version? 

Would you personally get the Pro over the Premium. The price difference in negligible. 

I'd personally get the Pro version because IMO it looks better. As the price difference is indeed not huge, I'd just choose the can that looks better. They sound exactly the same.

For the 600 Ohm version, I'd get any amp that has been designed to drive high impedance headphones properly. For example, the Fiio E9 should do just fine. The O2 would also be a great choice. If you want to spend more, go for a Headstage Arrow. 

Personally, I'd go for the 250 Ohm version though, since it will not be as much of a hassle finding an amp that will drive them well. The 250 Ohm version works fine enough without any dedicated amp, even an iPod can drive them well enough. You won't get the refinement that comes with using an amp but you'll be able to enjoy a decent sound anyway. With the 600 Ohm version, you are pretty much forced to use an amp at all times. IMO the convenience of not being forced to use an amp is more important than the very slight and hardly audible improvement in sound of the 600 Ohm version. 

May 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 26
I'm sold on the 250 Ohm version.

I like the PRO version as well. I've heard it has a tight clamping force though which may affect the wide sound stage. 

I think I'll just try one and if I don't like it, send it back and get the other. :) That's what I like about Amazon. 

May 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 26
I have been using the DT880 pro 250ohm out of my phone for a few months now on my walk to work and can turn them up loud enough to drown out traffic and that's the only time I need to push it to full volume. Also sounds much better than my Grado which I no longer use. I can only imagine that the common opinion that the Beyerdynamic is not portable must be from the 600ohm version, I love using mine as a portable!

Joshua

May 6, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:
I've heard it has a tight clamping force though which may affect the wide sound stage. 

Since the headband is metal, the clamping force can be modified to you liking very easily. Just stretch the PRO headband a little and it will then clamp like the Premium version.

As for the previous poster - you should NEVER use open headphones outside to drown out traffic as this will damage your hearing very quickly. Certainly, the DT880 can be used as a portable, but it not a great idea to do so.

May 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacusrexx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sound Card: For games I want surround sound. I was looking at the Asus Xonar X1. How does that sound? Any other recommendations?

There is no such card as far as I know. What model do you mean exactly ?

May 6, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:
Certainly, the DT880 can be used as a portable, but it not a great idea to do so.

The DT770 would work better as a portable, at the expense of some loss of sound quality. It is also slightly easier to drive, even at the same 250 Ohm impedance.

May 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 26
Abacusrexx.
Get the Xonar DX (or D1) sound card, comes with a decent DAC and Dolby Digital (Dolby Virtual Headphone).
The Fiio E11, better amplifier then the E7, can be used with the sound card and your portable electronics.
For $12 you can get a battery charger and two spare batteries, off eBay.
Total around $160 (or less).
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm, $240

So for $400 (or less) for everything.

May 6, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 26
Yes, that's it. Not the X1 (it's says that on Amazon), but the DX. Or would you recommend something better for $80-$100? 

Looks like everyone prefers the DT 880 PRO, I'm kind of glad, I prefer the coiled cable and that extra $30 saved is always nice.

Is there a reason why the E11 is better and cheaper than the E7? From what I can tell from the specifications the E7 looks better, correct me if I'm wrong.

E7 delivers 16mW (300Ohms) 

E11 delivers 13mW (300Ohms)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E7 has 0.008% harmonic distortion via USB and 0.009% via line-in.

E11 has 0.009% harmonic distortion. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E7 SNR:  ≥95dB (A weight)on line-in and  ≥100dB (A weight)on USB-in

E11 SNR: ≥98dB 

Assuming I can use the USB-in with an external player and DT-880 headphones, the E7 appears better. 

I also really like how the E7 has dual audio-out so that more than one person can utilize the amp and listen to the music. 

The price difference is negligible at $20. 

Please explain why I should choose the E11 over the E7. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back