Beyerdynamic DT 770 rattle in left ear - need amp?
Sep 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 26
I just followed guitarplayer 876's instructions for removing hairs and dirt from the driver and I'm pleased to say that it worked perfectly for me. I was considering buying a new driver for my DT770's and decided to have a go at taking them apart before I did, which is when I found this thread. Saved me a few quid, well happy :)

May 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #18 of 26
Hey guys, I screwed up a little removing the hair, dont ask how, but I removed by accident the paper that was glued on the top of the black plastic housing. Now, I still have that piece of cotton/paper in one piece, a little bit banged up but still, in one piece. My question is, is it vital to have it back on? Can I just glue it back again? (reason I'm asking this, because as I mentioned it looks a little worn out, cause of the glue) And finally, maybe theres just a replacement?

P.S. Dont get confused, I'm talking about the paper around the driver, not on it.

Thanks

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #19 of 26
I love HeadFi. 

Suffer in silence for years and then think "I'll bet someone out there has the same rattle/buzz on their set of DT770s". Type the question into my internet search engine, and no surprise at all, the answer is here. Thank you guitarplayer876. I didn't even need to take them apart: I've got an old pair and the foam covering across the driver that's attached to the earcushion has disintegrated (I know, I should buy new earcushions; maybe I will now my headphones are working fine again!). I got out the magnifying glass and there were TWO hairs actually protruding out the front of the driver grill. Got the tweezers, pulled them back out. Hey presto, no rattle. 

If I get one again, I'll know where to look. But my small contribution to the thread is this: before you take them apart, check the obvious: see if anything's visible at the front. The only reason I didn't go looking there before is because it sounded like something had come loose in the back of the cup, so I took them apart a year ago, searched for any foreign/loose objects, found none and put them all back together only to still have the rattle. 

Thanks again!

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 26
This is a great thread!  I was terrified of ruining my otherwise perfectly working headphones.  But from 14hz-120hz I was getting the rattling, and it was terrible in movies which seem to have a constant baseline.  This gave me the confidence to dive and it and worked great!  My diaphragm was covered in hair!  This is what I get for having pets.

I can update with pics of a very cat-hairy driver when I get privileges...

Thanks Guitarplayer876!

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #21 of 26
Just found this thread after developing the "death rattle". Followed the guide to dismantle the offending earcup was straight forward but try as I might I couldn't find any debris anywhere inside the cup at all. However, when I put it all back together the rattle had gone, sadly only to return a few days later. This got me thinking, was it really a hair? I think it could be the cables rattling. After dismantling again I seated the driver differently to try and make sure the cables were tighter to avoid any loose rattling. Working for the time being. Only time will tell if it's going to last.

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #22 of 26
Just found this thread after developing the "death rattle". Followed the guide to dismantle the offending earcup was straight forward but try as I might I couldn't find any debris anywhere inside the cup at all. However, when I put it all back together the rattle had gone, sadly only to return a few days later. This got me thinking, was it really a hair? I think it could be the cables rattling. After dismantling again I seated the driver differently to try and make sure the cables were tighter to avoid any loose rattling. Working for the time being. Only time will tell if it's going to last.

I recently purchased my pair of DT770 Pro 250 2nd hand and like many, they had the 'Death Rattle' in the left ear (it seems common for always and ONLY the left to be affected). Like yourself Lawrecednt, I opened up the cups and cleaned out the crap that had accumulated inside; it seriously looked like what one might find under their couch cushion or car's floor matts. Like you, I had limited success, with the rattle coming back a few days later. And like yourself, I thought could it be the cable or maybe the cover rattling? So I grabbed some foam and wedged it beside the cable and I also put some foam pads on the cover stops on the inside of the cup to anchor them better. Again, limited success, as the rattle came back. Oddly enough, no matter how I rotated or positioned the cups, the left would rattle BUT when I reversed left and right on my head, the rattle was gone. I simply could not get the left driver to rattle when on my right ear. Bizarre!

Anyway, I am just going to throw this out there, but the rattle WILL come back. The problem is 100% hair on the driver's diaphragm, and by that I mean the thin film, not the white fuzzy cloth on the grille. I wish I had taken pictures, but the left driver in my DT770 Pro looked like a poodle.

Here is my 'fun' experience:

So after about a week of trial and error (read above) I finally took the plunge and completely disassembled the left driver assembly. This was surprisingly easy to do. All I needed to pry off the snap ring and driver/magnet covers was a small flat head screw driver. Everything else I used my fingers. Kudos to Beyerdynamic for making these cans user friendly.

At first glance the diaphragm looked nice and clean. I then took an LED flashlight and shone it at an angle over the film. Wow, I never expected what I found; At least a dozen hairs literally stuck to the outside of the diaphragm's film! All the hairs were curved around the diaphragm, but fortunate for me they all had at least one tip pointed outwards. So I took a plastic toothpick and a pair or tweezers and proceeded to lift and pull off the hairs all in one breath; my nimble hands were rock steady. A few hairs actually came off in clusters which made the task somewhat easier.

Only one hair remained, and this hair was directly on the dome. Not just on but coiled around with no tip visible. Lovely eh? I almost overlooked this one...almost. I carefully found a little wiggle room and was able to lift up a portion of the hair, enough to fit one blade of the tweezers under. YOINK! <---the sound the magnet made as it grabbed the tweezers, collapsing the dome. Sigh....Lucky for me, as stated, my hands were rock steady, and so the magnetic pull was gentle (but VERY strong) and the film was intact. Ok, no problem. This just meant I had to actually pry out the magnet to avoid any further grabs, something I should have done in the first place. So out comes the magnet and I was able to successfully pull off Coily which when stretched out, was an inch long! I then used the round handle tip of a screwdriver and pushed out the dome. Besides a slight cloudy line on the dome, all was 100% perfect.

The most difficult part of the whole process was hammering the magnet back into the driver assembly. Needless to say, it is an extremely tight fit. I could get 2/3 of the magnet in by hand, and for the edge that was still sticking up I placed the driver diaphragm side down over the edge of my desk (so that only the frame touched avoiding any film contact) and used the handle end of a screwdriver to hammer it back in. FYI, the magnet is very strong. Like insanely strong! It could probably hold leather to a fridge strong!

Anyway, I hope that my tale can be of help when you think all else has failed. It just takes a little bit of time and patience, but well worth it in the end. Who doesn't want great sounding headphones?

beerchug.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #23 of 26
I recently purchased my pair of DT770 Pro 250 2nd hand and like many, they had the 'Death Rattle' in the left ear (it seems common for always and ONLY the left to be affected). Like yourself Lawrecednt, I opened up the cups and cleaned out the crap that had accumulated inside; it seriously looked like what one might find under their couch cushion or car's floor matts. Like you, I had limited success, with the rattle coming back a few days later. And like yourself, I thought could it be the cable or maybe the cover rattling? So I grabbed some foam and wedged it beside the cable and I also put some foam pads on the cover stops on the inside of the cup to anchor them better. Again, limited success, as the rattle came back. Oddly enough, no matter how I rotated or positioned the cups, the left would rattle BUT when I reversed left and right on my head, the rattle was gone. I simply could not get the left driver to rattle when on my right ear. Bizarre!

Anyway, I am just going to throw this out there, but the rattle WILL come back. The problem is 100% hair on the driver's diaphragm, and by that I mean the thin film, not the white fuzzy cloth on the grille. I wish I had taken pictures, but the left driver in my DT770 Pro looked like a poodle.

Here is my 'fun' experience:

So after about a week of trial and error (read above) I finally took the plunge and completely disassembled the left driver assembly. This was surprisingly easy to do. All I needed to pry off the snap ring and driver/magnet covers was a small flat head screw driver. Everything else I used my fingers. Kudos to Beyerdynamic for making these cans user friendly.

At first glance the diaphragm looked nice and clean. I then took an LED flashlight and shone it at an angle over the film. Wow, I never expected what I found; At least a dozen hairs literally stuck to the outside of the diaphragm's film! All the hairs were curved around the diaphragm, but fortunate for me they all had at least one tip pointed outwards. So I took a plastic toothpick and a pair or tweezers and proceeded to lift and pull off the hairs all in one breath; my nimble hands were rock steady. A few hairs actually came off in clusters which made the task somewhat easier.

Only one hair remained, and this hair was directly on the dome. Not just on but coiled around with no tip visible. Lovely eh? I almost overlooked this one...almost. I carefully found a little wiggle room and was able to lift up a portion of the hair, enough to fit one blade of the tweezers under. YOINK! <---the sound the magnet made as it grabbed the tweezers, collapsing the dome. Sigh....Lucky for me, as stated, my hands were rock steady, and so the magnetic pull was gentle (but VERY strong) and the film was intact. Ok, no problem. This just meant I had to actually pry out the magnet to avoid any further grabs, something I should have done in the first place. So out comes the magnet and I was able to successfully pull off Coily which when stretched out, was an inch long! I then used the round handle tip of a screwdriver and pushed out the dome. Besides a slight cloudy line on the dome, all was 100% perfect.

The most difficult part of the whole process was hammering the magnet back into the driver assembly. Needless to say, it is an extremely tight fit. I could get 2/3 of the magnet in by hand, and for the edge that was still sticking up I placed the driver diaphragm side down over the edge of my desk (so that only the frame touched avoiding any film contact) and used the handle end of a screwdriver to hammer it back in. FYI, the magnet is very strong. Like insanely strong! It could probably hold leather to a fridge strong!

Anyway, I hope that my tale can be of help when you think all else has failed. It just takes a little bit of time and patience, but well worth it in the end. Who doesn't want great sounding headphones?

:beerchug:  

I have dismantled the whole driver unit once but it was clean as a whistle which is what made me think it was cable related as it goes away with dismantle and reassembly. Anyway, I didn't use a torch although it was in a really brightly lit environment under a light. If the priblem returns I'll try the flashlight and tweasers technique.

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #25 of 26
  This thread saved my DT770's from being garbage. Thanks for the info.

I am sure I speak for all when I say 'Anytime'.

Happy listening!

beerchug.gif

Feb 4, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #26 of 26
964C05C2-BCE5-4BB0-A687-3D2152807ED6.jpeg
I made it this far and thought that nothing else comes apart. I took a very small flathead screwdriver to pry the magnet off. I removed hair from the wall surrounding the magnet. I finished it off with my Xpower Air Duster. The magnet does not go back into the housing flush. Maybe it will with force but I’m not to take that risk. The magnet is very strong so it should stay in place regardless. I noticed an immediate improvement in sound with less rattling. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back