Beyerdynamic DT 770 rattle in left ear - need amp?
Dec 26, 2009 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

evanstapler

New Head-Fier
I've had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros for a while now, and ever since I can remember, in the left ear, there has been a slight buzz/rattle noise. Almost cringle-y. This only happens on bass-heavy songs, or when audio is noticeably compressed (like youtube videos). I normally don't listen to music at full volume, but if I go past 60% volume, I can notice it. It's gotten worse over time. I have tried looking for a hair in my driver so many times, and completely scanned it for a hair and I have never found one to cause the problem. I highly doubt it's a hair, and if it is, there's no way it'll come out.

Do you think my driver might be busted or something? I'm not exactly too great with things like this, so I'm not sure if maybe I'd need an amp (I know nothing about this), or if maybe the driver is broken. I bought them second-hand (bad idea). What could be my problem, and how could I fix it? If there's no way to, I'll be in the market for new headphones.

I'm using it with my computer, and that's it. It's a creative sound card: Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 26
It might be faulty drivers, but creative soundcards are subpar and dont use good enough capacitors on their products, however, the Xtreme audio/music exceptionally suck, I don't think they even use X-Fi chips.
I got popping noises once in a while when I was driving my HD280s through my X-Fi Surround 5.1, but they went away as soon as I put my CMOY (1µF input, 1500µF outputcaps) between my X-Fi and my HD280s.
But since you're only getting a noise in one drive, it'll more likely be a faulty/overdriven driver.

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 26
It's almost always a hair, and unless you're an eagle or scanning electron microscope, you can't always see it. But you're right in that it probably wont come out. The DT-770 driver gets hair stuck to it so you'll either need to open it up or send it back under warranty.

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 26
Well - do try to use it on another bit of equipment. Surely you have something besides the PC? If the problem is the same on it, you know it is not the soundcard. Or if it is gone, it probably is the soundcard/PC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evanstapler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros for a while now, and ever since I can remember, in the left ear, there has been a slight buzz/rattle noise. Almost cringle-y. This only happens on bass-heavy songs, or when audio is noticeably compressed (like youtube videos). I normally don't listen to music at full volume, but if I go past 60% volume, I can notice it. It's gotten worse over time. I have tried looking for a hair in my driver so many times, and completely scanned it for a hair and I have never found one to cause the problem. I highly doubt it's a hair, and if it is, there's no way it'll come out.

Do you think my driver might be busted or something? I'm not exactly too great with things like this, so I'm not sure if maybe I'd need an amp (I know nothing about this), or if maybe the driver is broken. I bought them second-hand (bad idea). What could be my problem, and how could I fix it? If there's no way to, I'll be in the market for new headphones.

I'm using it with my computer, and that's it. It's a creative sound card: Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 26
I'm sure it's not under warranty. I bought it used off eBay in January of 2008, so the 2 years is probably up, and it didn't come from an official dealer.

It's definitely not my soundcard. I've tried it on another computer, as well as integrated and the problem persists.

I was less experienced than I was now when I bought these, I bought something cheap without researching. What would be a good buy, now? With a budget of up to $250 or so, can I get something good? And would I need an amp for anything decent?

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 26
I'd first contact Beyerdynamic and ask them if they can help. You never know, they might feel generous and it is still in a bit of a holiday mood. It wouldn't hurt to try at least.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 26
You can get them to replace the drivers even if its not under warranty, you'll just have to pay for it and it'll cost less than $250. Trust me, the rattle problem keeps coming back with a vengeance no matter what headphone you own if you're unlucky enough to be afflicted with it. Once you've heard it, you'll notice it immediately the next time it happens.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 26
I fixed them last night!
beyersmile.png
. THE PROBLEM IS A HAIR ON THE ACTUAL DRIVER!. Ok. Step 1: Take earpad off. Step 2: Take plastic ring holding housing and the black pad off. Step 3: Remove the housing for the driver (thing with white paper stuff on it) by gently shaking and tapping on the earcup, catch with hand. Step 4: CONTINUE AT YOURE OWN RISK! On the back of the housing there is a ring of cotton and a plastic support, remove both. Step 5: The driver is secured with glue, Remove the driver and get a pair of tweezers and look for hair in a very well lit area, scan the crud out of it. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING HAIR! When all hair and such things are removed, Put the drive unit back in the housing. Reassemble exactly as it was taken apart. After, play some clean test tones to double check. If it isnt rattling anymore CONGRATS! You fixed them!
beyersmile.png

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 26
What did you use to reattach the driver to the housing?  I'm scared I'll screw something up with silicone or something, plus if it doesn't fix the problem, I'm worried that I'll be screwed having voided the warranty.  Just got mine yesterday so I hate to send them back now... I'm hoping it's that I'm playing them right out of my titanium x-fi sound card rather than an amp, though I have a total bithead on the way.  Before now I've only had pretty sensitive / low res. phones so no amp.  I had the whole thing apart earlier but was too scared to actually remove the driver from the housing.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 26
Had this problem for many years and never knew it could be fixed as I was scared to take it apart

Its actually easy as they can be taken apart easily with the guide.

A hair was on the paper of the driver at step 4 and now the rattle is gone :)

Would be tricky to get the glue apart from the housing but that was not required here.

Cheers

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 26
I wish that would work for me.  I removed some small fibers from the paper, but not actual hair.  Still have the rattle at 70 or less htz at -10db on the spectrum while watching in Foobar.  Only when at higher volumes also... Maybe they're just not meant to go that loud, but there's not distortion at that level other than the annoying / scary rattle.  I am using ASIO so my pc volume can't be screwing it up, it's at 6% but doesn't matter anyway because I'm using ASIO to my total bithead.

Any recommendations?

Also I notice the bithead clipping light coming on also at low frequencies and high volumes, though I can't hear any distortion so I'll be damned.  idk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back