Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80ohm or NAD VISO HP50?
Oct 22, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #16 of 23
  Well, DT770 will give you more thump but HP50 will give you more precision, better separation and clarity. I think DT770 is definitely more mushy than HP50.
DT770 must be used with amp to be driven properly.
About the lifelike expericence - it's hard to say. Like I said HP50 is more precise, but DT770 has wider soundstage if I recall correctly. For live music DT770 might actually be better.

I've heard otherwise that the HP50 has some of the best soundstage at the $300 price tag for closed headphones. In terms of soundstage I don't think I'll have any problem with either of these. All I crave now is that hard hitting feeling...
Is it true that the HP50 renders vocal more beautifully? From what I've collected, the Beyers have slightly recessed mids and are overall cold or bright. I wonder if vocal on these would sound uninspiring or slightly emotionless.
I know that all these are probably too much to ask for in a pair of headphones, but then again I'm very picky when it comes to sound quality :frowning2:

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #17 of 23
  NAD might not be a good choice for you - bass might not be deep enough or hard enough and they're not really musical.
Beyer seems like a bit better in bass department (quantitywise) and bit more musical but they're also much harder to drive.

From what you wrote I think Philips Fidelio L2 are the best choice for you. And they sound amazing even from good smartphone plus build quality and design is much better than both Beyer and NAD.

I've had all 3 of them and soundwise NAD was my favourite but only with Oppo HA-2. With other sources I didn't like them that much so synergy is needed. Beyer was my least favourite.

Any other portable amp recommendations for HP50 that maybe sounds equally good? HP50 and HA-2 are a bit out of my budget :frowning2:
Thanks

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #18 of 23

Any other portable amp recommendations for HP50 that maybe sounds equally good? HP50 and HA-2 are a bit out of my budget :frowning2:
Thanks

For me HA2 and HP50 was the best paring. Hard to say what else would be on the same level. BTW - HA2 is not an amp - it's DAC/Amp and only as DAC/Amp combo I can recommend it. When it comes to amp only you can probably find something better and cheaper - like Aune B1 or Cayin C5.

HP50 soundstage is very good for closed headphone but good doesn't always mean very spacious and holographic. It's natural sounding stage - maybe a bit above average in width and not so much in depth. But good nonetheless.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #19 of 23
NAD might not be a good choice for you - bass might not be deep enough or hard enough and they're not really musical.
Beyer seems like a bit better in bass department (quantitywise) and bit more musical but they're also much harder to drive.

From what you wrote I think Philips Fidelio L2 are the best choice for you. And they sound amazing even from good smartphone plus build quality and design is much better than both Beyer and NAD.

I've had all 3 of them and soundwise NAD was my favourite but only with Oppo HA-2. With other sources I didn't like them that much so synergy is needed. Beyer was my least favourite.

I made a trip to the headphone store and auditioned some headphones today. Finally:) NAD HP50: Initially I used Aune B1 with these, but it turned out that the bass actually became somewhat muddy, so not much to my liking. Then I hooked them up with a portable USB DAC. This time the bass became punchier and tighter, with clearer mids. The only downside was that throughout the listening session, the HP50 sounded a tad laid-back to me, actually the most boring one of all the headphones I tried today. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to pair them with Oppo HA2 as the store didn't carry these. Do they really have significant improvements with musicality when amped with HA2? And may I ask why you returned the HP50?
DT 770: Only had a few minutes with these. Impressed by the soundstage. Amped with Aune B1. The bass was not as well defined as HP50 even when amped (but then again it could be the B1 itself as it was also muddy with the HP50), and to my ears they're also not noticeably deeper than HP50. It could be wrong setup though, as I've heard that DT770 are power hungry animals.
Momentum: This was the second time that I tried these. First time I did not like them, as I thought that they sounded a lot different from headphones of this price range. I also found that when I cracked up the volume the highs became 'too clear', sometimes a bit 'harsh' that they felt unnatural to my ears. Strangely I haven't heard others complained about this. Was it just me not being able to appreciate great sound? Anyways this time my bias have faded a little, as I found them to be incredibly musical and engaging. But still the mids and highs bothered me and I have absolutely no idea why...
Side note: a local online dealer is selling a patch of HP50s each for approximately $170 but without packages, accessories or warranty of any kind. The dealer claims they're straight from manufacturer and also people who have previously bought them said that they were quite 'genuine'. Do you think they're worth getting? Normal price of HP50 is about $315 here.
Hope this post is not too long for anyone to read :) also please forgive my English.
Still not able to decide. Any thoughts? Thanks

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #20 of 23
I've never had Aune B1 so I don't how it would compare to HA-2 (again HA-2 is DAC/Amp so different beast). HP50 sounded better with HA2 (much better) than with anything else I've tried.
I didn't return them - I sold them because I'm an IEM guy and rarely used them. I've bought several over-ear headphones to test them and compare with my IEMs collection. I just like IEMs better and if I'd buy full-size headphone again it would be open-back and from top shelf:)
Don't know what to tell you. HP50 are great pair of headphones but they are laid back. Even though Oppo drives them perfectly you can always find some flaws like with all headphones.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #21 of 23
I think the HP50 for $170 is an AMAZING deal, despite no accessories.  Though, it comes with a nice case and two cables with a cable holder, which are really nice, so you'll be missing out on those.  The HP50 accepts any 3.5 jack cable though, so that's no problem.  I found that my HP50 sound great out of any source and don't need amping to sound good.  I also think they have an impressively clean and articulate bass.  I peronally wouldn't want for more, although they do respond to EQ to give you that extra 'thump' if you need it.  Listening to Doin it Right by Daft Punk, the bass brings a smile to my face!

They do have a somewhat laid back approach, but that is great fro long term listening without damaging your hearing.  The roll off on the top frequencies is all part of their patented RoomFeel technology.  I love their presentation and can listen to them for hours.  The only think I don't like is their looks.  I would feel very self-conscious wearing them outside!  Great cans though, and keepers for me for sure.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #22 of 23
If you did want a good cheap amp though, look into the Cayin C5.  I also have the HRT Microstreamer, which is a great DAC/amp and has more than enough power to power most of my headphones.  It has brought my portable system's sound to life.  One of the best audio upgrades I've ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back