BeyerDynamic DT 770/80 Pro vs. DT 770/2005 consumer edition
Jul 22, 2008 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Tiemen

Headphoneus Supremus
A fellow headfi-er asked me about the differences between the Beyerdynamic DT770/80 Pro and the DT 770/2005 consumer edition.
I replied, and thought is might be a good idea to share it with you all.

The bass on the DT 770 Pro gave me sometimes the idea that it's leading a life of it own. Not ingrated in the music. The bass annoyed me a lot of time.
The bass on the DT 770/2005 is quite different.
It's integrated, tight and quick. I think it's one the best basses I ever heard in the closed cans I auditioned so far.

Mids on the 2005 consumer edition are full, vocals upfront. Nothing is recessed. But it's not warm either.
The Pro sounds a bit warmer, due to the overwhelming bass, and friendlier treble.

The treble is what bothered me the most on the 770/2005. There's way too much treble for my taste.
Therefore the 2005 sounds bright. Treble is harsh, sibilant and extended. Burn-in didn't help at all.

Soundstage on the 2005 is much wider and airier than the pro/80.
The 2005 is very detailed, they let you hear everything what's going on on a recording. The good and the bad.

If the 2005 were not so bright, I would prefer them over the Denon D2000.
So, the DT770/2005 will for sure be an upscale on the HiFi ladder, if you can handle their brightness.

IMHO, that is. With my ears, with my gear, and I'm not a trained reviewer.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 12
How do you tell the difference between the two. I know nothign about 2 different kinds. But I saw a pair at a pawnshop for $100 that was in perfect condition. I listen to alot of rap and i prefer a crystal clear high and mid, and punchy bass, not muddy. The box said /80 somewhere, so i'm assuming it is. Is the Bass on the /80's muddy at all, and is it so overpowered that i wont hearvocals clearly at times.

I may jsut buy it anyways because I can sell it for more I guess (correct me if I'm wrong) But its in perfect condition has origanl box and paperwork).

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by xlin58 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you tell the difference between the two. I know nothign about 2 different kinds. But I saw a pair at a pawnshop for $100 that was in perfect condition. I listen to alot of rap and i prefer a crystal clear high and mid, and punchy bass, not muddy. The box said /80 somewhere, so i'm assuming it is. Is the Bass on the /80's muddy at all, and is it so overpowered that i wont hearvocals clearly at times.

I may jsut buy it anyways because I can sell it for more I guess (correct me if I'm wrong) But its in perfect condition has origanl box and paperwork).

Actuelly, there are four different kinds:
DT 770 consumer edition
DT 770 Pro 80 ohms
DT 770 Pro 250 ohms
DT 770 M

A picture of the consumer one is here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/so...ks-old-340657/

If you can sell the headphone for more, than buy it. 100 USD is a steal.
The best way to know about a can, is to listen to it with your own setup.
I don't think the bass on the 770/80 is muddy. And you can still hear vocals clearly, vocals are one of the strong points of the DT770.
It's just that with some recordings, the bass can be annoying because of too much, which is also a matter of taste.
Try them!

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 12
Well i've spend a lot of time modding 770's. Actually much more time than with any other cans. Stock they're all sounds like crap. 2 things to consider for anyone searching for improvement of their 770's:
1. Pads
2. Damping
In that order.
They can't and will not sound good with non isolating velour pads. Both Beyer genuine leather and leatherette isolating pads are not good choice. HD 250 pads are okay, but very difficult to put on. Probably some of akg's isolating pads(from k240, 271..) will be good even though i've never tried them. Best ones-some low profile, soft leatherette ones.

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i've spend a lot of time modding 770's. Actually much more time than with any other cans. Stock they're all sounds like crap. 2 things to consider for anyone searching for improvement of their 770's:
1. Pads
2. Damping
In that order.
They can't and will not sound good with non isolating velour pads. Both Beyer genuine leather and leatherette isolating pads are not good choice. HD 250 pads are okay, but very difficult to put on. Probably some of akg's isolating pads(from k240, 271..) will be good even though i've never tried them. Best ones-some low profile, soft leatherette ones.

I used the K271 vinyl earpad on the DT770/80 to tone down the bass and sibilance. It worked. But with the cost of losing a lot of treble.
But they were fun to listen to with those pads. Very warm and lively.
And the bass sounded better, more integrated, to my ears.
But another headfi-er thought the sound became worse with the vinyl pads.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The treble is what bothered me the most on the 770/2005. There's way too much treble for my taste.
Therefore the 2005 sounds bright. Treble is harsh, sibilant and extended. Burn-in didn't help at all.

If the 2005 were not so bright, I would prefer them over the Denon D2000.
So, the DT770/2005 will for sure be an upscale on the HiFi ladder, if you can handle their brightness.

IMHO, that is. With my ears, with my gear, and I'm not a trained reviewer.

Bringing this one back from the depths...what did you pair the 2005's with amp-wise? If it was not a tube amp, do you think that a warmer tube amp would tame these down enough to make them better? I am interested because I love my 770/80 Pros but would like a little better sound stage. I do agree the bass can be a bit over the top sometimes, not muddy but boomy. Mids, I still don't know about them as I have never heard a pair of phones that have what are considered to be good mids. But if I can get better mids and sound stage and tame the brightness and tighten the bass, then I think the 2005's might be exactly what I am looking for. An improved DT-770/80 if you will. Same construction and comfort and styling, just better performance.

But then my other question is, will my LD I+ push the 250 ohm 2005's?

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

If it was not a tube amp, do you think that a warmer tube amp would tame these down enough to make them better?

No, unless it's flawed amp with drastically rolled-off highs. The key is recordings here. If you listen to bad-mastered, low quality sounding music, the whole Beyerdynamic lineup of headphones is not for you. Beyers love good source.

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bringing this one back from the depths...what did you pair the 2005's with amp-wise? If it was not a tube amp, do you think that a warmer tube amp would tame these down enough to make them better? I am interested because I love my 770/80 Pros but would like a little better sound stage. I do agree the bass can be a bit over the top sometimes, not muddy but boomy. Mids, I still don't know about them as I have never heard a pair of phones that have what are considered to be good mids. But if I can get better mids and sound stage and tame the brightness and tighten the bass, then I think the 2005's might be exactly what I am looking for. An improved DT-770/80 if you will. Same construction and comfort and styling, just better performance.

But then my other question is, will my LD I+ push the 250 ohm 2005's?

I had a Musical Fidelity X-can V3 at the time. Not a good match, because the V3 is a little bright. I tried differrent tubes, but that didn't help.
Paired with my Denon pre-amp, the treble remained too hot for my taste.
The DT770 2005 consumer edtition is not an updated Pro, it's an entirely different sounding headphone. For instance, the bass is not a tightened Pro bass. You could almost say the consumer edition is bass lean. If you are used to the Pro bass, the consumer bass will be not enough for you in quantity.

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Tiemen, just wondering, what genre of music do you think the DT770 2005 version is most suited for? Thanks

Depends on your personal taste and preference.
The music I listen to is pop, rock and americana. Most of them not well recorded, too bright and sharp sounding. With them, the DT770 consumer edition was a painful experience.
These cans are very revealing and bright.
They could handle every music I threw at them, as long as it was well recorded. Thats to say, not shrill.
The warmer and balanced the recordings (and the source/ amp as well), the better the DT770/05 performed.
The match between my dark sounding Thorens recordplayer and the DT770/05 was therefore much better than with my Marantz CD player.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actuelly, there are four different kinds:
DT 770 consumer edition
DT 770 Pro 80 ohms
DT 770 Pro 250 ohms
DT 770 M

and there's 2 different kinds of Pro
biggrin.gif

old :
http://www.canford.fr/Nouvelles/2007...x/DT770PRO.jpg