Beyerdynamic DT-770 80 ohm v. DT-770 250 ohm v. DT-770 LE 32 ohm
Apr 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EndersShadow

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking at the Beyerdynamic DT-770 and trying to pick the right model.

I will be planning to use these mostly with a Audio GD NFB-5 headphone amp at work.  I also may use them in my main HT system with an Integra DTR 5.9 receiver and also in my Vintage 2 channel system with another headphone amp of some sort to be purchased later on.  Obviously the need for amplification isnt that big a deal.  There is a pretty big price difference between the three.  I am looking to buy new on this one and the price for the 250 ohm is 175, the 80 ohm is 230 and the 32 ohm is 250.

I list to mostly dubstep and techno at work and am not super concerned with accuracy of the sound.  I plan to get a set of Grado 325i's at some point for more accurate listening.  These are meant more to be enjoyable fun sounding headphones.

I wear glasses so comfort is VERY important to me.  I also will need them to be decent at isolation so I dont disturb everyone around me.  I believe you can take the LE model and put the velour pads from the non limited edition model on them.

I am looking forward to responses from everyone on this.

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 5
I can only speak on the 80ohm version. Fantastic with an amp, great for techno, etc. They sound great, but $230 is much higher than what I paid for mine. These cans go up and down on price, so if you don't mind waiting you can get them cheaper (check the used forum).

I use contact lenses 80% of the time, but the dt-770's are really nice in comfort, and when i put my glasses on they do just fine. They clamp, but the pads are very soft and don't add any level of discomfort. These are on par with the the most comfortable cans I have ever used. 

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am looking to buy new on this one and the price for the 250 ohm is 175, the 80 ohm is 230 and the 32 ohm is 250.

With those prices and your equipment, the 250 Ω is the best choice, if you do not mind the coiled cord. It sounds just as good as the lower impedance versions, and is cheaper probably because fewer people buy it for being afraid of amping requirements.

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 5
I've got the 32 Ohm version of DT770, but I can't relate to what is being said about them in terms of great bass and being a good headphone for techno, dubstep etc - for that I'd much rather get Denon AH-D2000 used - it has that wonderful thumping midbass.

If anyone has heard both 32 and 80 Ohm versions, I'd be interested to learn if there were big differences between them or if there is something awkward going on with my particular pair. Basically it has been stored in the box for the past 6 months.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I've got the 32 Ohm version of DT770, but I can't relate to what is being said about them in terms of great bass and being a good headphone for techno, dubstep etc - for that I'd much rather get Denon AH-D2000 used - it has that wonderful thumping midbass.

If anyone has heard both 32 and 80 Ohm versions, I'd be interested to learn if there were big differences between them or if there is something awkward going on with my particular pair. Basically it has been stored in the box for the past 6 months.

From what I have heard the Denon's dont seal nearly that good and since these are for work they need to seal pretty good.

I am now debating the AKG K550's as they are supposed to seal real good, and are in the 250 range as refurbs from Crutchfield.  The ATH-50M's are also on my list, but I know that the Beyers are normally recommended over them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back