Beyerdynamic DT 770 80Ω vs Custom One Pro
Nov 9, 2013 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

attkmaster

New Head-Fier
I'm sure most of you have seen a thread like this multiple times, and I have looked at them too. However, they don't answer the question for me. Currently I have Sony MDR-XB400 and a FiiO E6 amp that I went with until I could upgrade to a better pair of headphones, and it is time to do that. The Sony headphones do wonders, but for me just don't produce enough bass when passed through a SteelSeries 5H USB sound card with 8 channel 16 bit quality and the EQ set to increase up to 120 hz with a +12dB volume increase, (headphone jack is broken) and the amp set to the red LED. (assuming lower frequency boost) I know these two are known for bass, and that's what I want. If I could strap 2 12 in subwoofers to my head, I would do that, but unfortunately I need my ear drums to collect vocal frequencies and what not. I am willing to spend an extra $100 on a good amp if necessary and would request a recommendation if necessary, but that may not happen until 3+ months down the road. I know these won't have a problem with clarity of the other frequency ranges, so bass and the clarity there of is all that matters. Which of these two has the best bass quality and most bass? I don't want to hear the drivers themselves rattling (like the Sony headphones do at max volume) so clarity of the bass is a little more important. 

Thanks in advanced for the help, and of course sorry for the repeated question but it is necessary since there is a different circumstance.

** If you have another recommendation, feel free to recommend it, as long as it's under $200. Note I do know about the V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones though **

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 9
Heya,

The COP is easier to drive, doesn't need an extra amp or anything, and is bassier when set to it's highest setting. The trade off is that it's a dark headphone (treble is rolled off) and it's mids are very recessed (more so than the DT770) and the sound stage is just not very good for a headphone of this price range. It's otherwise built well, good features. They just really dropped the ball on the mids/soundstage of this headphone.

I would look more to the AKG K267 if you want something like this, but with better mids and sound stage. It's also a very bassy headphone when set to it's highest setting. Also very easy to drive, no big amplifier needed either.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 9
  Heya,

The COP is easier to drive, doesn't need an extra amp or anything, and is bassier when set to it's highest setting. The trade off is that it's a dark headphone (treble is rolled off) and it's mids are very recessed (more so than the DT770) and the sound stage is just not very good for a headphone of this price range. It's otherwise built well, good features. They just really dropped the ball on the mids/soundstage of this headphone.

I would look more to the AKG K267 if you want something like this, but with better mids and sound stage. It's also a very bassy headphone when set to it's highest setting. Also very easy to drive, no big amplifier needed either.

Very best,

When I use headphones I find myself bringing down the mid and treble ranges down all the way on the equalizer and making the bass as high as possible, would the COPs produce a similar experience? As long as I can hear the vocals and the overall sound is good then that is fine. If I were to have the port setting thing on the lowest would it produce good sound quality? Also, can I expect to see these on sale for Black Friday or w/e they do online? Thanks for the help so far. :)

As far as the AKGs you recommended go those are beyond my max price of $200.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 9

When I use headphones I find myself bringing down the mid and treble ranges down all the way on the equalizer and making the bass as high as possible, would the COPs produce a similar experience? As long as I can hear the vocals and the overall sound is good then that is fine. If I were to have the port setting thing on the lowest would it produce good sound quality? Also, can I expect to see these on sale for Black Friday or w/e they do online? Thanks for the help so far. :)

As far as the AKGs you recommended go those are beyond my max price of $200.

Heya,

The COP will sound a little similar to what you've described at their highest bass port setting. Lots of bass, recessed mids & treble. At the lowest and neutral bass port settings, I think you'll still find the mids recessed and treble still rolled off. You'll hear vocals and detail at all settings. Again, the only faults I find with the COP are the mids & sound stage. The treble is not a flaw, it's merely a property of the headphone and some prefer the treble rolled off for fatigue purposes. It's a mellow headphone in general. If you just want something bassy, it will do that, with a great build and feature set. It's found for nearly $150 these days new often, I saw it recently on Amazon for that. I'm sure at Black Friday it will be around that price, with some deals to maybe make it less.

Then again, the K267 around Black Friday might get closer to $200 as well.

Depends on what you're willing to compromise for what you're after.

And based on how you've described things, I think the M-Audio Q40 is probably a better overall headphone for you. All the bass you're looking for. Great build. Great features. Better mids than the COP. And it's less expensive.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 9
  I'm sure most of you have seen a thread like this multiple times, and I have looked at them too. However, they don't answer the question for me. Currently I have Sony MDR-XB400 and a FiiO E6 amp that I went with until I could upgrade to a better pair of headphones, and it is time to do that. The Sony headphones do wonders, but for me just don't produce enough bass when passed through a SteelSeries 5H USB sound card with 8 channel 16 bit quality and the EQ set to increase up to 120 hz with a +12dB volume increase, (headphone jack is broken) and the amp set to the red LED. (assuming lower frequency boost) I know these two are known for bass, and that's what I want. If I could strap 2 12 in subwoofers to my head, I would do that, but unfortunately I need my ear drums to collect vocal frequencies and what not. I am willing to spend an extra $100 on a good amp if necessary and would request a recommendation if necessary, but that may not happen until 3+ months down the road. I know these won't have a problem with clarity of the other frequency ranges, so bass and the clarity there of is all that matters. Which of these two has the best bass quality and most bass? I don't want to hear the drivers themselves rattling (like the Sony headphones do at max volume) so clarity of the bass is a little more important. 

What sources is this audio setup used for, PC gaming? or just music?
So you have the FiiO E6 and a SteelSeries 5H USB sound card for driving headphones.
So when the Sony MDR-XB400 is connected to the 5H, you do not get enough bass?
What happens to the sound when you use the FiiO E6 to drive the Sony XB400s?

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 9
  What sources is this audio setup used for, PC gaming? or just music?
So you have the FiiO E6 and a SteelSeries 5H USB sound card for driving headphones.
So when the Sony MDR-XB400 is connected to the 5H, you do not get enough bass?
What happens to the sound when you use the FiiO E6 to drive the Sony XB400s?

These would be used for music, I have a gaming headset I can use as well. The XB400s have a limited bass response that could satisfy quite a few bass-heads but not really me, it does have bass but it's not boomy unless playing bass boosted music. When the volume it high enough the driver begins to physically rattle, this is with the E6 all the way up and volume is 94 or higher. 

Heya,

The COP will sound a little similar to what you've described at their highest bass port setting. Lots of bass, recessed mids & treble. At the lowest and neutral bass port settings, I think you'll still find the mids recessed and treble still rolled off. You'll hear vocals and detail at all settings. Again, the only faults I find with the COP are the mids & sound stage. The treble is not a flaw, it's merely a property of the headphone and some prefer the treble rolled off for fatigue purposes. It's a mellow headphone in general. If you just want something bassy, it will do that, with a great build and feature set. It's found for nearly $150 these days new often, I saw it recently on Amazon for that. I'm sure at Black Friday it will be around that price, with some deals to maybe make it less.

Then again, the K267 around Black Friday might get closer to $200 as well.

Depends on what you're willing to compromise for what you're after.

And based on how you've described things, I think the M-Audio Q40 is probably a better overall headphone for you. All the bass you're looking for. Great build. Great features. Better mids than the COP. And it's less expensive.

Very best,

I'm liking the M-audio and I've seen them before, but I am worried about that cheap looking cord popping out of the side of the headband, it looks as if the thing would go supernova type II if I even so much as looked at it. Other than that it looks like a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back