Beyerdynamic DT 770 - 600 Ohm amp question
Nov 9, 2011 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BriBri

New Head-Fier
I've finally decided to sell my AKG 701 which run off a tube amp (Doge 6210) as well as a portable Mamba d4.  The presentation is great although bass shy at low volume and sound almost too bright at louder levels.  The problem is that when I bought this set up, I didn't know about open headphones vs closed. Stupid me.  Wellll,  I am unable to use the AKG because there is either too much ambient noise or, and they leak so much that family complains. I'm now wanting a closed headphone which will work with both amps and can be worn for hours and sound good. I,m looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770 600 ohm or 250 ohm or the Denon D2000.  I like the sound signature of the VSONIC GR7. I listen to a variety of music from electronica to jazz.
I'm  looking at these headphones based on reviews and comments from these forums but have not heard them.
Which headphone is the question. Are there other closed phones that I may have missed on my search?
Thanks Brian

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 5
Are looking at Beyerdynamic Premiums or Pros or both?

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm looking at the 600 ohm model. Didn't know it came in two types.  Would my portable amp drive the DT770 600 ohm or should I be looking at the 250 ohm pro?

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
I'm looking at the 600 ohm model. Didn't know it came in two types.  Would my portable amp drive the DT770 600 ohm or should I be looking at the 250 ohm pro?

DT-770 Premiums come in both 250-Ohm and 600-Ohm models.
DT-770 Pros come in 250-Ohm, but not 600-Ohm.

Pros have a firmer grip around the ears, better seal for working in a studio and I believe they are the older model.
Premiums have a lighter grip and are more comfortable, more for home/consumer use.
Premiums cost more then Pros.

The Doge 6210 is rated up to 600-Ohms
The Mamba D4 is rated up to 300-Ohms
So you would need to stay under 300-Ohm for headphones to use both amps.

So go Pro if you want to save a few dollars, Premium if you want extra comfort.
I have no complaints about the comfort with the Pro model.
( I do own both the Pro 250-Ohm and Pro (heavier on bass) 80-Ohm headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back