Beyerdynamic DT-770, 250ohm vs 80 (can cmoy drive?)
Dec 2, 2005 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

worminater

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a buffered cmoy from MisterX, and am looking for a decent set of cans to go with it. I mainly use my computer for gaming and music (listen to everythign but rap and country for the most part), and as such after perusing tthese forums for a few weeks have settled on Beyerdynamic DT-770 due mainly to open sound stage for gaming and their closed nature (lan party's)

They will be primarily driven by x-fi-->cmoy-->myhead with some muvu n200-->cmoy-->myhead whenever traveling and have room.

From what I've read; the 250ohm version needs amping to sound decent, while the 80ohms can sound good unamped, but better amped.

Would my cmoy push the 250ohm enough? I've found the 80ohm for 210 and the 250ohm for 170; and am debating whether the price difference can bejustified (poor college student and al that, extra money would get me a wall wart for cmoy *now* rather then i a few weeks)
Thanks for any input, and this forum is starting to get expensive... e2c+cmoy+x-fi in the 1 month i've been browsing these forums and the everything just seems to be getting more expensive as i look ahead

Dec 2, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 10
I suppose it would be a lot better than un amped, but I was not impressed with the 770-80s *at all* even out of my semi-juiced up pimeta. They definitely need a lot of juice to sound...less terrible. built like a tank though. suppose they'd be great for lan parties, except they aren't too comfortable either.

Dec 2, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 10
Opinions vary on the comfort of a properly adjusted 770
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd think a cmoy built with AD8397 opamps wouldn't have any trouble powering a 770. It will still have the response curve that the 770 has, but the bass should be well controlled.

Dec 2, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 10
I run my 770-250's either unamped out of my Revo 7.1, or out of my Nomad + cmoy (OPA2227), and I have no complaints about the sound. I've run it with the cMoy out of the Revo and I couldn't really tell too much of a difference.

Dec 2, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrawn86
I suppose it would be a lot better than un amped, but I was not impressed with the 770-80s *at all* even out of my semi-juiced up pimeta. They definitely need a lot of juice to sound...less terrible. built like a tank though. suppose they'd be great for lan parties, except they aren't too comfortable either.

what was so terrible about them? (dont say the exaggerated bass/treble - this just saves me EQing them)

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 10
can't imagine running the 250s unamped, thats crazy.

but as for the sound... bloated bass and treble, like you said, but coming right off my a500s/er6 I just couldn't stand it. The idea being you shouldn't have to eq the crap out of your headphones to make them sound good.

harsh highs...and soundstage? compared to my ATs, meh. Like I said, they do have their moments. namely, listening to Rap, techno, or gaming. If you can do something about the part where (stock) they feel like a vice grip on my (small) head, then they'd be great for lans, partially because they're so durable.

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 10
I've been driving my DT770 Pro's (80ohm) via only an X-FI Fatality and they sound fine. I believe they would sound even better if I was using an amp, as most people recommend, but it's not mandatory with the 80ohm pair. As far as comfort, I've only had them a little while but I'm finding them less than comfortable so far (I also have a small head).

Dec 3, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 10
I just got my 770 just not too long ago. They're driven just fine out of my shuffle. Still have my cmoy I have to finish up to compare the difference amped/unamped. I guess I have a small head too but the comfort is great. I can barely feel it on my head.

Dec 3, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrawn86
can't imagine running the 250s unamped, thats crazy.

but as for the sound... bloated bass and treble, like you said, but coming right off my a500s/er6 I just couldn't stand it. The idea being you shouldn't have to eq the crap out of your headphones to make them sound good.

harsh highs...and soundstage? compared to my ATs, meh. Like I said, they do have their moments. namely, listening to Rap, techno, or gaming. If you can do something about the part where (stock) they feel like a vice grip on my (small) head, then they'd be great for lans, partially because they're so durable.

For the DT-770/990, the bloated bass and sharp treble are exactly how i like my music anyway. What i wanted to know was whether the sound stage, the detail or some other aspect of the actual music it produces was terrible. Calling it "terrible" just because you dont agree with the FR isn't fair imo. From my experience with the DT-990, if the 770 is similar, they both have a very detailed sound with excellent soundstage, and even though the bass is very bloated, it's visceral, powerful and tight when well amped.

Dec 3, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 10
Re. some of the comfort issues mentioned above, with the DT770/990 Pro, the clamping force is greater than that of the non-pro. I cant imagine someone complaining about the comfort of these headphone apart from the clamping force. If that is your concern, it's easy to remedy by slightly bending the metal headband. One of the perks of high build quality
biggrin.gif
Be aware that you'll be sacrificing a slight amount of isolation and bass if you do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back