Beyerdynamic DT 660 / 880 / 990 Pro -- A comparison
May 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #16 of 19
I've been looking for a great pair of cans for classical music (can I call them "cans" in that context?
smily_headphones1.gif
). After much research I was informed that for an open ended pair the Audio Technica AD900x were THE ones and for a closed end pair the Beyerdynamic DT660 were the ones. After reading your article (and I saw this in my research as well) the bass is not all that great in the DT660's.

I am not really aware of the bass sound everyone rants and raves about, but when I listen to my music I immerse myself, and if there are low sections that have deep bass (Saint Saens'/Copland's Organ Symphony, Strauss' Tone Poems, Grieg's Hall of the Mountain King, Mahler's Symphony No. 1, Orff's Carmina Burana, etc.) I get upset if I don't get a full body experience.

Do the DT660's really provide an unsatisfying experience or are they just not a "Tesla 5" experience?

Thanks.

May 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:
I've been looking for a great pair of cans for classical music (can I call them "cans" in that context?
smily_headphones1.gif
). After much research I was informed that for an open ended pair the Audio Technica AD900x were THE ones and for a closed end pair the Beyerdynamic DT660 were the ones. After reading your article (and I saw this in my research as well) the bass is not all that great in the DT660's.

I am not really aware of the bass sound everyone rants and raves about, but when I listen to my music I immerse myself, and if there are low sections that have deep bass (Saint Saens'/Copland's Organ Symphony, Strauss' Tone Poems, Grieg's Hall of the Mountain King, Mahler's Symphony No. 1, Orff's Carmina Burana, etc.) I get upset if I don't get a full body experience.

Do the DT660's really provide an unsatisfying experience or are they just not a "Tesla 5" experience?

Thanks.

I find the DT660s do have some sub bass.  The mid bass is not emphasized like many cans.  For example, the complete symphonies of Prokofiev with Gergiev have bass drum whacks and they come through on the 660s.  I think all closed cans have a smaller soundstage than open but the 660s have one of the larger stages for closed that I've heard.  Most mid-fi open cans do not have sub bass, IME.  If you live in the US, amazon has return privileges, hint, hint.  HTH.

May 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:
[size=x-small]DT 880 --[/size]

Everything is so clean and accurate that they can sort of force you to critique the audio instead of enjoying the music.

Or perhaps you could say that everything being clean and accurate would direct your attention to the music rather than have you distracted by the audio. Just another way of looking at it.

BTW, are these the same as current models? Hasn't there been a re-design since 2003? 

May 2, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #19 of 19
Both the Dt880's and the 990's were redesigned in 2005. Not sure about Dt660 though.

Also I agree that the neutrality and accuracy of my Dt880 2005 editions allows me to just get lost in the music and not the coloration of the headphones. I love the DT880's and don't find them at all dry or boring. Just my personal preference though.

Also while similar I have read there are some differences in sound of 03 vs '05 models though. I have only heard '05 edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back