Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 25, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #4,667 of 4,782
Unfortunately, I can't post any background information here about what was told at a workshop by SPL (Sound Performance Lab). But I can reveal this much: it is no coincidence why, for example, the Phonitor headphone amplifiers from SPL work so brilliantly with the Pro series (1770 and 1990) from Beyerdynamic. :L3000:

Sep 26, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #4,668 of 4,782
I’ve owned two DT990 (both 600ohm Editionand 250ohm Pro model) and DT1990 and after reading a lot of user feedback/reviews and combining it with my own experience it seems that high impedance Beyerdynamic cans love amplification with good voltage delivery. That’s why they pair excellently with Phonitor, tube amps, Lake People/Violectric, modded Emotivas and many more not necessarily expensive amps.

Oct 3, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #4,669 of 4,782
DT1990 is delivered with balanced pads.
In the course of my Composer (AustrianAudio) headphone listening and comparisons sessions I mounted the analytical pads on DT1990. I now like the DT1990 sound better with these.

Oct 22, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #4,670 of 4,782
Y
DT1990 is delivered with balanced pads.
In the course of my Composer (AustrianAudio) headphone listening and comparisons sessions I mounted the analytical pads on DT1990. I now like the DT1990 sound better with these.
I find it kind ouf counter intuitive, because to me the "analytical" pads actually provide more balanced sound, than "balanced" pads hahaha :D

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #4,671 of 4,782
You see ..... :sunglasses: :beerchug:

DT1990 Ear Pads.png
DT1990 Analytics & Balanced Pads.jpeg

Oct 23, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #4,672 of 4,782
I've had a pair of the these headphone for around a month, when I originally received them they came pre-installed with the 'Analytical' pads, I've read a lot about these headphones over the years, so much so that I was already looking into getting them modded with the 8k filter switch before I even received them, naturally, based off what I read regarding the 8K peak I ripped the 'Analytical' pads off straightaway and proceeded to install the 'Balanced' pads, it sounded ok, v-shaped which isn't really my cup of tea, but not too bad, ideal for TV, gaming etc, a fun comfortable listen, bass was little wolly sounding in my opinion, lacking refinement and definition, and the the mids scooped out a little, but still not a bad listen really, what helped was the soundstage and imaging which was still good, so technically an overall good warm fun sounding headphone..

Today, I decided to try the 'Analytical' pads, wow!, what an improvement, everything is cleaned up, bass tightened, midrange brought back into play, more realistic tonality, I don't even get the naming convention of the pads really, I think the 'Analytical' pads actually sound balanced to me, and the balanced pads in comparison do not sound balanced at all, doesn't make sense to me, if you're reading this don't be put off the Analytical pads because of the fabled 8k peak, give them a try (week at least).

Recent tracks tested with the Analytical pads,

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #4,674 of 4,782
https://thegreatestsong.com/beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-review/
Cons
  • Sibilance around 8 kHz is out of balance in rare cases

Very rare cases!

• Clamping force of the headband is a bit too strong out of the box

Not for me!
AUParametricEQ (I use an Mac, AU is MacOS build in)
Freq 8000Hz
Gain -5dB
Q=2,83
helps in some cases.

Pros
  • Best dynamic response in this price range
  • Best soundstage and imaging in this price range
  • Outstanding detail resolution
  • Great bass response for an open-back design
  • Absolute minimal distortion
  • Comes with hardshell carry case, extra cable, and additional ear pads.

I agree to all points

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #4,675 of 4,782

I like this statement:

With the ‘balanced’ pads, however, the bass is almost too enjoyable with the lower mids getting slightly drowned out. (They sound a bit like the Sennheiser HD 650s in this regard). Thankfully, switching the ‘analytical’ earpads, the bass is not so overpowering and the mud in the middle is cleared out.

I have a minor sibilance issue with some recordings in my Modius/Asgard 2 desktop system with the DT 1990. However when I listen through my higher quality exaSound e32 DAC in the main system, the sibilance issue is gone (and the sound is better). IME, the DT 1990 will suss out any HF problem with the gear and/or the recording. It should not be blamed for excessive honesty.

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #4,677 of 4,782
The DT1990Pro is like Sherlock Holmes' famous magnifying glass. He finds everything. Also bad recordings, e.g. from cheaply made samplers etc. Either you live with dishonest (hi-fi) headphones, or you take the DT1990Pro and sort out bad LPs or CDs from your collection.
This is precisely why I don't use this headphone so much anymore. Why would I want to find all of the faults in the music I enjoy? It's like somebody that points out all the faults of your friends.
"Let me introduce you to my best friend!"
"That's your best friend? Interesting. He really talks a lot, you can't get a word in edgewise around him. You should have less talkative friends."
"Oh, okay. I guess. Well, anyway, this is my wife."
"You married her? She's much too muscular. She's disproportionate. You look like a pipsqueak next to her."

I'd honestly rather have a few white lies and get along with the music that I love.

Also, analytical pads suck. There I said it. Bass FTW.

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #4,678 of 4,782
If we all thought like that, there would be no progress. I don't think it's appropriate to compare the thing with a human created by nature. All technical things can be done better.

“It is little things that make perfection, but perfection is anything but a little thing.” (Frederick Henry Royce)

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #4,680 of 4,782
Perfection? What is this "perfection" you speak of?

I want to enjoy my music, not think about whether or not it sounds perfect.
I'm just saying Queen for example. If Queen and especially Freddie Mercury hadn't dedicated themselves to perfection, works like Bohemian Rhapsody would never have been created. You have tried your best to achieve perfection. So I put works like these in my collection and sort out the bad ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back