Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 22, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #4,651 of 4,790
[...]
With some pieces of music, the 8kHz peak can be disruptive.
[...]
Do you mind giving me an example (or some)? The music I listen to in my opinion is just made for this 8K peak or at least does/should contain some passages with this peak.
Either I did miss these (songs/ peaks) or my ears are simply getting old or are at least worn.

And thanks for bringing Hubert back to my mind. I do not love every piece of him, but I got to listen to again soon. Even listening to Miles Davis makes fun nowadays with this gear (see below).

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #4,653 of 4,790
Can you recommend me a good parametric eq for my dt1990 with analytic pads?
Mojo2's eq is definitely a good choice.
HTH
EDIT: Sorry, Ciro, using "analytic pads"in your question naturally implies that you’re asking for values, not for a device or a piece of software. Feel free to ask about them, in case you're interested.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #4,654 of 4,790
Can you recommend me a good parametric eq for my dt1990 with analytic pads?

-add lower bass (70 Hz/ shelf Q1/ +3db)
-add mids 1700 (1700Hz/ peak Q1.4/ +2db) more or less db depending on taste, try and listen
-reduce treble to taste, either peak filter 8000Hz/ Q2/ -6bd (more or less) or use a shelf filter Q1 /6500Hz/ -4db (more or less)

The midrange filter does influence a lot of the music presentation. It's interesting to listen to how the soundstage changes etc.

For peak filters try to stick to a Q between 1 and 2.4. For shelf filters use Q1. "Keep it simple" is in my book better than using extremely detailed EQ settings like Oratory or auto EQ. Think of it like using salt and pepper on food.

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #4,655 of 4,790
Do you mind giving me an example (or some)? The music I listen to in my opinion is just made for this 8K peak or at least does/should contain some passages with this peak.
Either I did miss these (songs/ peaks) or my ears are simply getting old or are at least worn.

And thanks for bringing Hubert back to my mind. I do not love every piece of him, but I got to listen to again soon. Even listening to Miles Davis makes fun nowadays with this gear (see below).

Hubert von Goisern - Austrian Folk Songs & Pop Singer

Wia die Zeit vergeht - Live (spotify)

Wia die Zeit vergeht (Live) (qobuz)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #4,656 of 4,790
I'm looking for the frequency response curves of the T1 (original version), T1 ver.2, T1 ver.3 - compared to the DT1990 Pro
It is best to measure with the same measuring equipment.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #4,657 of 4,790
I'm looking for the frequency response curves of the T1 (original version), T1 ver.2, T1 ver.3 - compared to the DT1990 Pro
It is best to measure with the same measuring equipment.
Maybe I am not up to date, wouldn't be oratory1990's the place to look for this?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #4,658 of 4,790
Honestly, I've never been comfortable with the oratory settings, the dt 1990 I equalize it slightly with a graphic eq and everything is ok, with parametric eq it's too complicated and one value affects and often ruins the other.

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #4,659 of 4,790
Honestly, I've never been comfortable with the oratory settings, the dt 1990 I equalize it slightly with a graphic eq and everything is ok, with parametric eq it's too complicated and one value affects and often ruins the other.
I second that. Didn't use it either. I stumbled upon his website during my quest of choosing the right headphones. I found his username was a sympathetic reference to 1990s, maybe I was wrong about that(?).
He uses a quite interesting preference rating (before/after EQ), let's say some sort of percentage one can use as one indication for how good a headphone is and furthermore how flexible it is (if you ever want to EQ). Sure, you give up control with PEQ and you have to trust Device-designer that he is implementing it right and suits your headphones.
His site was one source of confidence to get aware of how good the 1990s really are.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #4,660 of 4,790
Last week I had the DT1990Pro sent to me by @beyerdynamic. The recommendation came from a professional in the studio technology industry. I have to say it's like Sherlock Holmes' famous magnifying glass. He finds things on recordings that I've never heard before. But it's not a whitewash like some hi-fi headphones. He finds every mistake on bad recordings. Due to the unfortunately existing Beyerpeak, it reacts very sensitively to cables that pack a punch in the treble range. Then it gets really annoying. Now I have to make a decision. I either keep it and experience fantastic music with very good recordings, especially in the rock and classical areas, and throw bad CDs out of the collection, or I live with my CDs, some of which are bad, and have them performed by a KH who is a whitewash. Difficult.

Attachments

• 20230903-1906_13025_DT1990Pro-Verbessert-RR-4_5_6_fused_1080x1080_Instagram.jpg
    20230903-1906_13025_DT1990Pro-Verbessert-RR-4_5_6_fused_1080x1080_Instagram.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 4, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #4,661 of 4,790
Last week I had the DT1990Pro sent to me by @beyerdynamic. The recommendation came from a professional in the studio technology industry. I have to say it's like Sherlock Holmes' famous magnifying glass. He finds things on recordings that I've never heard before. But it's not a whitewash like some hi-fi headphones. He finds every mistake on bad recordings. Due to the unfortunately existing Beyerpeak, it reacts very sensitively to cables that pack a punch in the treble range. Then it gets really annoying. Now I have to make a decision. I either keep it and experience fantastic music with very good recordings, especially in the rock and classical areas, and throw bad CDs out of the collection, or I live with my CDs, some of which are bad, and have them performed by a KH who is a whitewash. Difficult.
Good day! Why don't you browse back to entry number 4,649 (this entry -12), @FritzS hints a hardware and a software solution in case you are sensible to the beyerpeak. Some are sensible to it, some are not.
It depends on whom you ask, but I would say this Headphone is definitely a must have.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #4,662 of 4,790
I have the dt 1990 and I would like to buy a valhalla 2 does it pair well with the dt or is it too bright? I also have an asgard 3, do you think I'll stay like this or buy valhalla
2 and I have an audio improvement over the asgard 3 on the dt 1990

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #4,663 of 4,790
I think you've put your finger on something that many of us here would recognize. I must admit I've always found it impossible to live with 'bad' recordings - and that class has seemingly grown over the years (!) as technology and playback has improved. I'd be interested to know whether there are others who - like me - have found the process of upgrading components has involved an endless process also of culling collections of recordings. I should add that I actually enjoy this - see it as one of the benefits really - keeps me in touch with what's happening in the world of music and recording. It also reminds me how much things have improved.

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #4,664 of 4,790
I've always used the analytic pads with the 1990 but I find the tonality a bit strange and cold, today I put the balanced pads and equalized the excess bass, the sound has lost that little impact and perhaps a bit of detail but it is absolutely warmer, more pleasant and fuller, as you think.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #4,665 of 4,790
In addition to the 1990 Pro, I also have the 1770 Pro in my collection. I put it on when my partner doesn't want to be disturbed. There I find the bass very nice, but bloated and a bit unclean. The 1990 Pro has the best bass I've heard in headphones with the Balanced Pads. Clear, tight and clean. Perfect for me as a fan of rock music. If I were a fan of 90's dance music, the 1990 Pro would probably be the wrong headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back