Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 25, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #3,676 of 4,790
Which new foam disc as there are 2 on Beyer EU Shop website:
1. New Foam Disc = lists fit to DT1990/1770 and many more headphones.
2. Foam Disc for Amiron Home.
Foam disc for amiron home
I'm still confused on this. On the EU site, I see New Foam Disc and Foam Disc Amiron Wireless, not Amiron Home. On the US site, I see only New Foam Disc. I'm in the US and I'm interested in these discs.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #3,677 of 4,790

Attachments

• 20201105_212236.jpg
    20201105_212236.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 25, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #3,678 of 4,790
I'm still confused on this. On the EU site, I see New Foam Disc and Foam Disc Amiron Wireless, not Amiron Home. On the US site, I see only New Foam Disc. I'm in the US and I'm interested in these discs.

I emailed the US guys and they forwarded me to Consolidated Sound Services for fulfillment. $3.50 for the foam pads, but they charged $10.50 for shipping. :angry:

I did buy two sets though and am not even using one right now, so if you want a set for half of what I paid ($8.75) I'll send you the other set.

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #3,679 of 4,790
Nov 28, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #3,680 of 4,790
I'm here to eat crow for my previously dismissive attitude toward Dekoni Elite Velour pads. These have been in storage for months because I preferred Analytical pads, didn't like what the Elite Velour did to the sound of the DT 1990. I've made several gear upgrades since I last tried the Dekonis, and thought I should give them another go. Long story short, they will not be coming off, the sound is great; accurate highs, solid lows, propulsive drive, captivating transparency. Apologies to Dekoni and anyone I may have misled.
Nope! Back to Analytical pads. While the Dekoni Elite Velour pads have very appealing clarity and tonality, they have a disqualifying flaw. The softened transients are detrimental to musical engagement. They also tend to emphasize sibilants more than the Analytical pads.

I didn't change pads to because I was dissatisfied with the Analytical pads, which I've been happily using for two years. I changed pads because I recently acquired a better DAC, exaSound e32 Mk II, which also contains a very capable headphone amp. I tried Balanced pads again, but the plumped mid-bass and tizzy highs make these a non-starter. The Dekonis fooled me for a couple of days because what they get right is divine. Unfortunately I found I was cycling through a lot of tunes, something I rarely do, because the music failed to hold my attention. I've always said one should listen to a change for an extended period before committing to a decision. This is further proof of that.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #3,681 of 4,790
Nope! Back to Analytical pads. While the Dekoni Elite Velour pads have very appealing tonality, they have a disqualifying flaw. The softened transients are detrimental to musical engagement. They also tend to emphasize sibilants more than the Analytical pads.

I didn't change pads to because I was dissatisfied with the Analytical pads, which I've been happily using for two years. I changed pads because I recently acquired a better DAC, exaSound e32 Mk II, which also contains a very capable headphone amp. I tried Balanced pads again, but the plumped mid-bass and tizzy highs make these a non-starter. The Dekonis fooled me for a couple of days because what they get right is divine. Unfortunately I found I was cycling through a lot of tunes, something I rarely do, because the music failed to hold my attention. I've always said one should listen to a change for an extended period before committing to a decision. This is further proof of that.
Yes they do nothing for sibilance and highs. I bet your head is no wide enough to get the right pressure on the elite velours. I have the same problem. When i press the headphone with the elite velour on the cups against my head they sound like heaven. I cant get this effect on the a or b pads

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #3,682 of 4,790
Yes they do nothing for sibilance and highs. I bet your head is no wide enough to get the right pressure on the elite velours. I have the same problem. When i press the headphone with the elite velour on the cups against my head they sound like heaven. I cant get this effect on the a or b pads
The clamp with the Elite Velours is noticeably tighter than the Analytical pads, to the point where it was slightly bothersome.

To be clear, highs were not the issue that caused me to reject the EV's again. The issue was the damped transient response, which made music less involving.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #3,683 of 4,790
The clamp with the Elite Velours is noticeably tighter than the Analytical pads, to the point where it was slightly bothersome.

To be clear, highs were not the issue that caused me to reject the EV's again. The issue was the damped transient response, which made music less involving.
You can get that back with a little EQ love and a pair of FR charts of the Velours and the A pads. It's what I did with the Hybrids.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #3,684 of 4,790
Discovered an EQ improvment in the 160-320 Hz range by accident, while listening to test track with Dolby Atmos for Headphone (Movie) active. Only use my EQ settings if you are using Hybrid pads.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArwXzixQ74JbgdU960_KRRZo3fz-DA?e=wmLkBe

DT-1990-Dekoni-Hybrids-Current.rar

I also have a +1dB low shelf @ 75Hz and a preamp of -2.10 dB (optional)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #3,685 of 4,790
I just joined the forum and here for some recommendations on the DT 1990 Pro setup (been lurking here for some time). I also pmed Chastity on reddit. I have several upgrades on the way

Current setup: DT 1990 Pro with an old astro mixamp + Modmic USB. PC hardware ( i9 10900k - rtx3900 - 32 gb ram - ...). using the balanced base pads.

New audio setup: DT 1990 Pro with Creative G6 (DAC) and JDS Labs Atom ( AMP) + Modmic USB

Background: I am an ex semi-professional PC fps player that quit the competetive play in 2011/2012. I played for years with the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 that I won on some lan. Still playing fps games but more open, less sweaty games with player amounts of 20 to 100 players. ( battlefield, Hell let Loose, Squad, Heroes & Generals). Also enjoyed read dead redemption 2's audio and looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077.
The tryhard is still here when playing multiplayer fps games. Just footsteps are less important in comparison to the small high comp fps games ( csgo, siege,valorant,etc.) but more sound occlusion, able to pinpoint direction gunsounds. I don't use VSS.

USAGE: 85% Gaming( 75% multiplayer with voice chat / 10% singleplayer) - 15% music (deephouse & jazz).

Looking for: some tips. I'm looking for good EQ settings as mentioned above and maybe some comfortable pads (dekoni?) and other general tips/upgrades. I still like to have the ability that I had with astro to play around with EQ settings to soundwhore :wink:

Budget: If the improvement is high enough not really any budget, but I don't want overkill as it is mainly for gaming.

With regards

Dec 8, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #3,687 of 4,790
Well I finally caved in and bought a set for a low price. I won't use them for the black metal but I'll use them for most of my other listening. Matter of interest what dekoni pads would people recommend to tame the highs but keep all the other attributes of the stock headphone?

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #3,688 of 4,790
Well I finally caved in and bought a set for a low price. I won't use them for the black metal but I'll use them for most of my other listening. Matter of interest what dekoni pads would people recommend to tame the highs but keep all the other attributes of the stock headphone?
I used them with "Graveworm" and other melodic black metal bands that I love and enjoyed a lot (better than any headphones that I've ever tried). Do you use your Z7s with metal? I have tried and don't like the experience...

With some symphonic rock I like the Z7s, but I like very much them with the typical audiophile genres - I find them a good complement to my HD 800 -

Edit: Ok, you have the RAD-0, that are one of the best for metal music...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #3,689 of 4,790
I used them with "Graveworm" and other melodic black metal bands that I love and enjoyed a lot (better than any headphones that I've ever tried). Do you use your Z7s with metal? I have tried and don't like the experience...

With some symphonic rock I like the Z7s, but I like very much them with the typical audiophile genres - I find them a good complement to my HD 800 -

Edit: Ok, you have the RAD-0, that are one of the best for metal music...
The z7 are not great for metal unless you fancy very very cavernous death metal. You are right though, I’m covered for metal with the rad 0. I think I’ll leave the dt1990 in stock form to give me a different sound to what I have already

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #3,690 of 4,790
Uhhh... After reading more than 100pages of this thread i can't get to decide about which ear pads from dekoni to get... I am using analytical pads and I prefer them over the balanced.
I do have heavily eq'd them and works with almost every genre i listen to. Sometimes I do remove a couple db on bass if the genre is more bassy..

So, the million dollar question.
Swap pads? If so which one?
Swap headphones???? O.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back