Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 30, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #3,556 of 4,801
I got that remote is only available for the “pro” version, and FA12 is the only pro model. Anyway, I sent them a few questions including this one.
Hopefully I will get an answer shortly and will share.
In the meantime...I pulled the trigger! Beyerdynamic A2 on its way from Amazon, with 30 days return option. Should be here at the end of next week
Cool, I hope you enjoy it. Let us know what you think of the combo.

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #3,558 of 4,801
I got that remote is only available for the “pro” version, and FA12 is the only pro model. Anyway, I sent them a few questions including this one.
Hopefully I will get an answer shortly and will share.
In the meantime...I pulled the trigger! Beyerdynamic A2 on its way from Amazon, with 30 days return option. Should be here at the end of next week
I ended up with same combo - A2 amp, driving both T1.2 and DT1990 (with A-pads). Depending on my mood and music, they both work really, really well with A2. T1.2 tends to be better suited for acoustic and less busy music, giving a very nice, intimate listening experience. DT1990 on the other hand is perfect with anything energetic and fast paced. A2 is set on 100ohm output impedance.
I went up from A20 as well and am very pleased with the improvement to sound presentation. Plus the remote is very handy... :)
Hope you like your A2 with DT1990 as well!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #3,559 of 4,801
Any cables out there that will give DT 1990 a significant upgrade? Anyone had any good experience and recommendations?
For cables, I don't know about sound improvements, but you can get lighter cables that will make the headset feel lighter. I have a 2m NewFantasia one that works just fine for that purpose. I also like the Hart cable system.

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #3,560 of 4,801
I ended up with same combo - A2 amp, driving both T1.2 and DT1990 (with A-pads). Depending on my mood and music, they both work really, really well with A2. T1.2 tends to be better suited for acoustic and less busy music, giving a very nice, intimate listening experience. DT1990 on the other hand is perfect with anything energetic and fast paced. A2 is set on 100ohm output impedance.
I went up from A20 as well and am very pleased with the improvement to sound presentation. Plus the remote is very handy... :)
Hope you like your A2 with DT1990 as well!
:beerchug:
Same feeling I have with A2/ T1.2/ T90, I do have tube amp Icon audio HP8Mk2 to compared with, A2 is indeed very good, detail without being harsh, nice tonal balance, but I think it is better suit for 250Ohm with better balance, I feel T1.2 on A2 do not have the same speed as T90, may be it is headphone characteristic I am not sure....

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #3,561 of 4,801
:beerchug:
Same feeling I have with A2/ T1.2/ T90, I do have tube amp Icon audio HP8Mk2 to compared with, A2 is indeed very good, detail without being harsh, nice tonal balance, but I think it is better suit for 250Ohm with better balance, I feel T1.2 on A2 do not have the same speed as T90, may be it is headphone characteristic I am not sure....
Yes, T1.2 are not fast, but they are so... intimate. Yesterday I listened to a Killing Joke album and had to switch to DT1990 as T1.2 were so muddy, they just couldn’t keep up. But this morning I listened to Emika - Klavirni Temna on T1.2 and the experience of her playing the piano... Just WOW! So detailed, so intimate, just like being with her in the same room, listening... There’s something very sensual when a lady lets her feelings and emotions out through a piano... :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #3,562 of 4,801
I went up from A20 as well and am very pleased with the improvement to sound presentation.
I am so glad to read that, honestly I am not impressed by the A20. I was expecting a better listening experience given the same brand, but I think Lake People is far above in terms of sound quality.
I truly hope the A2 will be a step up and better than the LP too :wink:

Nov 2, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #3,563 of 4,801
I am so glad to read that, honestly I am not impressed by the A20. I was expecting a better listening experience given the same brand, but I think Lake People is far above in terms of sound quality.
I truly hope the A2 will be a step up and better than the LP too :wink:
A20 with headphones you own just doesn't work for you and that's absolutely fine. Years spent reading this site and trying various combinations of equipment I own/have owned made me realise one thing - it's all part of the journey and finding the combination that works for us is a very individual thing... :) Enjoy the journey!

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #3,564 of 4,801
A fellow on Reddit (u/Cask-UK) bought the DT-1990 and contacted me. He just bought the Elite Hybrids and wanted to know the details on how I set things up. So I had him install EQ APO and I gave him my EQ settings, and went over his config. I'll quote his reply:

fscking hell
this is the holy grail of EQ's

do I need to set the program to run when windows starts?

just tested bfv.... holy fscking crap
To think that these couldn't sound any better from stock pads.
Not to mention how much better the sound will get if I get a stack.

These pads with your EQ makes them way more fun whilst not losing out elsewhere. The bass is insane.
Thank you so much!

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #3,566 of 4,801
A fellow on Reddit (u/Cask-UK) bought the DT-1990 and contacted me. He just bought the Elite Hybrids and wanted to know the details on how I set things up. So I had him install EQ APO and I gave him my EQ settings, and went over his config. I'll quote his reply:
Wow sounds amazing. You mind sharing the EQ with us as well? Would love to try it out also!

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #3,569 of 4,801

Users who are viewing this thread

Back