Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 19, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #3,526 of 4,801
My advice...remove the rings, mount the pads, put the rings back on.
You may also order extra rings so you can leave every pad with them and make replacement operations much faster. This is what I did :)

I had no idea you could do that. Might do that since I want to try out a few of the Dekoni pads

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #3,527 of 4,801
I had no idea you could do that. Might do that since I want to try out a few of the Dekoni pads

Removing the mounting ring is quite easy. I remove the pads that I am dismounting and then use either a small flat head screw driver or the tip of a small butter knife and insert the tip into the groove space, into which the pad mounting "skirt" edge fits. Gently pry the groove open, using several places to do so. The mounting ring will gently pry up and off. You will see that the circular foam pad is freely placed on the speaker/driver surface. You can gently remove that foam pad to clean it, to remove dust, hair and small debris etc. I remove and mount pads one cup/side at a time, to minimize the possibility for accidentally damaging the speaker/driver surfaces. To mount the new ear pad on the mounting ring, I use the tip of a butter knife or a very small phillips head screwdriver tip and simply gently stretch the ear pad mounting "skirt" edge, onto the mounting ring lip, in a circular progression. While the mounting ring is removed, notice that there is a small notch in the wall of the ear pad cup. There is a small corresponding tab, on the outside edge of the ear pad mounting ring. Align the notch and tab and press the mounting ring back into the ear cup. If the notch is correctly aligned, the mounting ring will snap back into place, pressing it gently back into the ear cup, in a circular progression.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #3,528 of 4,801
Removing the mounting ring is quite easy. I remove the pads that I am dismounting and then use either a small flat head screw driver or the tip of a small butter knife and insert the tip into the groove space, into which the pad mounting "skirt" edge fits. Gently pry the groove open, using several places to do so. The mounting ring will gently pry up and off. You will see that the circular foam pad is freely placed on the speaker/driver surface. You can gently remove that foam pad to clean it, to remove dust, hair and small debris etc. I remove and mount pads one cup/side at a time, to minimize the possibility for accidentally damaging the speaker/driver surfaces. To mount the new ear pad on the mounting ring, I use the tip of a butter knife or a very small phillips head screwdriver tip and simply gently stretch the ear pad mounting "skirt" edge, onto the mounting ring lip, in a circular progression. While the mounting ring is removed, notice that there is a small notch in the wall of the ear pad cup. There is a small corresponding tab, on the outside edge of the ear pad mounting ring. Align the notch and tab and press the mounting ring back into the ear cup. If the notch is correctly aligned, the mounting ring will snap back into place, pressing it gently back into the ear cup, in a circular progression.
Do you meant like @rasmushorn here? Thank you.

Oct 20, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #3,531 of 4,801
I purchased a pair of Dekoni Elite Hybrids, while I had the Beyer DT 1770 and ended up returning them fairly quickly, as I didn't like the sound quality, with them on the 1770. Currently have the DT 1990, using Dekoni Elite Velour pads, after having used the Analytical pads for several months. Actually like this pairing a lot but am curious about maybe trying the Elite Hybrid on the 1990. Any info from anyone having used the Elite Hybrid on the 1990 would be greatly appreciated. Vs the Elite Velours? Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #3,532 of 4,801
I purchased a pair of Dekoni Elite Hybrids, while I had the Beyer DT 1770 and ended up returning them fairly quickly, as I didn't like the sound quality, with them on the 1770. Currently have the DT 1990, using Dekoni Elite Velour pads, after having used the Analytical pads for several months. Actually like this pairing a lot but am curious about maybe trying the Elite Hybrid on the 1990. Any info from anyone having used the Elite Hybrid on the 1990 would be greatly appreciated. Vs the Elite Velours? Thanks

Received a new pair of Dekoni Elite Hybrid ear pads a few hours ago. Like I mentioned above, I have really been enjoying the Dekoni Elite Velours. For me, the first song listened to, with the Elite Hybrids was a very surprising revelation! The low end on the DT 1990, with the Elite Hybrids is really magnificent. The bass, using the Elite Velours, after the stock Analytical pads, was noticeably deeper and more present and the sometimes troublesome treble spike pleasantly reduced. Prior to purchasing the DT 1990, I had first the DT 770 and then the DT 1770. The bass / low end on both was deep with authoritative punch / kick, especially with the 1770 and "fun". Having never owned an open back headphone and liking the Beyerdynamic sound and build quality I purchased the DT 1990. I started with the 1990's Balanced pads and soon moved to the Analytical pads. I immediately loved the sound of the 1990, especially using the A pads. I'm not really a "bass head" but do like a noticeably present low end, if it blends in well with the rest of a headphone's sound quality. I had already anticipated that, being an open back headphone, the 1990 was going to have a reduced low end, compared to my previous closed back 1770. I was not at all disappointed in the 1990's bass, in fact surprised that it was so nicely present. I had to admit though that, even when using the Dekoni Elite Velours, there were times when I missed the low end of the 1770.

Enter the Dekoni Elite Hybrid today and I’ve been thrilled with the overall sound quality, including some taming of the treble spike. The immediate stand out improvement was the substantially increased bass and low end. First album played was Four Play's "Between the Sheets". The first song "Chant" has several hits on a large/deep bass drum. I could now easily hear the very deep and rolling shimmer of the drum's skin when struck. Authoritative bass guitar then began playing and I have to admit that I was wearing a big ole smile! The bass of previous headphones was back! In no way does the bass seem to overpower other frequencies. To me mids and highs sound terrific, with great treble sparkle! The overall sound is very full, more present and authoritative. I had read that I might need to EQ the 1990s with the Elite Hybrids but I'll just leave well enough alone for, at least for a while! Really satisfied with the purchase of the Elite Hybrids! Back to the music listening!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #3,534 of 4,801
You are making me want to pick up a of Elite Hybrids!
[/QUOTE

As I indicated above, I’m extremely satisfied and impressed. From the first song played, with the Elite Hybrids mounted on the 1990, I was hooked. Had a many hours listening session last night and for me, the transformation was terrific, across all musical genres. The wearing comfort, even with glasses over the several hours listening session was a genuine pleasure. I had been concerned that the hybrids might not be as comfortable as the Elite Velours but for me, that proved not to be the case. Of course, everyone’s experience may not be similar to mine but for me the changes very much justified the cost. After breakfast, more listening coming up!

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #3,536 of 4,801
As I indicated above, I’m extremely satisfied and impressed. From the first song played, with the Elite Hybrids mounted on the 1990, I was hooked. Had a many hours listening session last night and for me, the transformation was terrific, across all musical genres. The wearing comfort, even with glasses over the several hours listening session was a genuine pleasure. I had been concerned that the hybrids might not be as comfortable as the Elite Velours but for me, that proved not to be the case. Of course, everyone’s experience may not be similar to mine but for me the changes very much justified the cost. After breakfast, more listening coming up!
You said you use analyticals, didn't you like the balanced pads? What do you think about balanced against Dekoni (Elite and Hybrid ones)?

Thanks for your impressions with the new pads.

Oct 25, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #3,537 of 4,801
You said you use analyticals, didn't you like the balanced pads? What do you think about balanced against Dekoni (Elite and Hybrid ones)?

Thanks for your impressions with the new pads.

Definitely no expert but I felt the analytical pads, although having a bit less bass than the balanced pads, seemed more open and "alive". The difference was to me very noticeable, upon switching from the balanced to the analytical, with the 1990 seeming to become more sparkling, with airy detail, realistic and as I said just an overall feeling that the music was more "alive". Switching to the Elite Velours was another step up, with more bass, sound-stage and detail openness. For me a much more pleasurable listening experience including some "taming" of occasionally intense "brightness", especially in music that had a lot of "crowded" higher frequency energy with elevated volume. I really enjoyed the Elite Velours a LOT, but was missing some of the bass presence and punch on my previous DT1770 closed backs. I decided to purchase and try the Elite Hybrids and as I indicated above, the bass and low frequency presence and "punch" of the 1770 seemed to have returned. Very dramatic difference, compared to the stock pads, including the balanced. Surprising increase in bass/low frequency response even over the Elite Velours. I hadn't really known what to expect but, having used my 1990 for several months, moving through the different pads, I really didn't think I'd hear this level of bass response in an open back headphone. It really seemed like using an equalizer to boost the lows. It doesn't seem to me that the increased bass response has overshadowed the mid-range and highs or feels artificial. The high frequency peak energy seems to still be tamed a bit as well. Lots of detail, fullness and sparkle. Using the Elite Velours, I needed to boost the volume a bit, above the stock pads. Although not really a large boost, with the Hybrids I've been able to decrease volume levels again. The balanced pads have been described as the "fun" pair, when compared to the analytical. Having moved through the chained progression of pads, with the Elite Hybrids, I'm having a ball! (Of course... your experience (and ears) may well vary)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #3,538 of 4,801
I really didn't think I'd hear this level of bass response in an open back headphone. It really seemed like using an equalizer to boost the lows. It doesn't seem to me that the increased bass response has overshadowed the mid-range and highs or feels artificial.
I don't know if is the same as you perceive or a punchier bass... When you can, try the new T1.3 and it's bass with a Metallica album... Like you, I have never heard that level of bass in an open headphone.

I will try the Dekoni Elite Hybrid with my future DT 1990 Pro (I'm going to buy them again, I miss them) I sold them to buy T 1.3, but I had comfort issues with the latter. What is the part number of the Elite hybrids for Beyerdynamic? (I was looking for them in Zococity -spanish web- and amazon.es and didn't find them).

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #3,539 of 4,801
I may not be the biggest fan of the DT1990’s treble but I fully agree about the bass being absolutely magnificent.
It’s not really an openback headphone though - more like a ventilated one. The only true openback headphones that do bass and subbas convincingly are planars and some Focals. Every other headphone company out there is closing off something in the cups in order to get the desired response like fx the DT1990, Auteur, Aeolus, Verité, S4X, SR1/2, Nighthawk, etc etc...which in effect all are headphones marketed as openbacks.

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #3,540 of 4,801
Definitely no expert but I felt the analytical pads, although having a bit less bass than the balanced pads, seemed more open and "alive". The difference was to me very noticeable, upon switching from the balanced to the analytical, with the 1990 seeming to become more sparkling, with airy detail, realistic and as I said just an overall feeling that the music was more "alive". Switching to the Elite Velours was another step up, with more bass, sound-stage and detail openness. For me a much more pleasurable listening experience including some "taming" of occasionally intense "brightness", especially in music that had a lot of "crowded" higher frequency energy with elevated volume. I really enjoyed the Elite Velours a LOT, but was missing some of the bass presence and punch on my previous DT1770 closed backs. I decided to purchase and try the Elite Hybrids and as I indicated above, the bass and low frequency presence and "punch" of the 1770 seemed to have returned. Very dramatic difference, compared to the stock pads, including the balanced. Surprising increase in bass/low frequency response even over the Elite Velours. I hadn't really known what to expect but, having used my 1990 for several months, moving through the different pads, I really didn't think I'd hear this level of bass response in an open back headphone. It really seemed like using an equalizer to boost the lows. It doesn't seem to me that the increased bass response has overshadowed the mid-range and highs or feels artificial. The high frequency peak energy seems to still be tamed a bit as well. Lots of detail, fullness and sparkle. Using the Elite Velours, I needed to boost the volume a bit, above the stock pads. Although not really a large boost, with the Hybrids I've been able to decrease volume levels again. The balanced pads have been described as the "fun" pair, when compared to the analytical. Having moved through the chained progression of pads, with the Elite Hybrids, I'm having a ball! (Of course... your experience (and ears) may well vary)

Posts like this make me curious about doing some pad rolling but my hesitation is more with potential impact on the mids, which I love with my A pads. A bit more bass might be nice but I am so pleased with the balanced blend of the mids with the bass and treble that I'm (to date) not willing to risk it.

With that siad I'm a huge mids guy but not at the expense of bass/treble and what I perceive as overall 'presence' like like I feel something like the Senn HD6X0 series is missing. Getting bass and treble out of the DT 1990 (or Elegai and HE-500 that round out my current stable) is where I tend to call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back