Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 20, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #3,481 of 4,801
Sep 22, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #3,482 of 4,801
I've read that the 1990 Pro is harsh... extremely detailed, harsh if you're sensitive to treble. If I like the Campfire Andromeda sound - which, also, is pretty revealing and harsh with soundstage and separation - would I be likely to appreciate Beyer's offering?

Sep 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #3,483 of 4,801
I've read that the 1990 Pro is harsh... extremely detailed, harsh if you're sensitive to treble. If I like the Campfire Andromeda sound - which, also, is pretty revealing and harsh with soundstage and separation - would I be likely to appreciate Beyer's offering?
I think you are good when you can handle andro

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #3,484 of 4,801
I have a question about a pair I received today, and I want to compare it to yours. Mine came with a straight cable, that is only about 5ft or 1.8m, it has no Beyerdynamic branding on it, and does not fully plug into the head phone in order to lock in place. I was wondering if any of you received a cable like this?

I bought mine assumingly new, from a "Authorized Dealer": Kaviso.

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #3,485 of 4,801
I have a question about a pair I received today, and I want to compare it to yours. Mine came with a straight cable, that is only about 5ft or 1.8m, it has no Beyerdynamic branding on it, and does not fully plug into the head phone in order to lock in place. I was wondering if any of you received a cable like this?

I bought mine assumingly new, from a "Authorized Dealer": Kaviso.
Hi there
I bought mine 5 months ago and it came with 2 cables of the exact same length (3mt), one straight and the other not. Both of them have black plugs with the Beyerdynamic logo on the amp end. Both of them fit correctly into the headphone.
Also my DT1770 came with the exact same cables.

I am sorry but it sounds like your cable is not original.
Have you checked the BD website to verify the latest version of “what is included” in the DT1990 package?

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #3,486 of 4,801
Hi there
I bought mine 5 months ago and it came with 2 cables of the exact same length (3mt), one straight and the other not. Both of them have black plugs with the Beyerdynamic logo on the amp end. Both of them fit correctly into the headphone.
Also my DT1770 came with the exact same cables.

I am sorry but it sounds like your cable is not original.
Have you checked the BD website to verify the latest version of “what is included” in the DT1990 package?

Thanks for the reply.
Beyerdynamic's website, manual, and box says there's supposed to be a 3M straight cable. I own the DT1770 pro also it has the correct Beyer branded 3M cable which fits into the DT1990 like its supposed.
I'll get into contact with Amazon about this, though I'd hate to go through the hassle of returning them. Or perhaps I'll determine that I don't like them after a while and just get a refund.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #3,487 of 4,801
Thanks for the reply.
Beyerdynamic's website, manual, and box says there's supposed to be a 3M straight cable. I own the DT1770 pro also it has the correct Beyer branded 3M cable which fits into the DT1990 like its supposed.
I'll get into contact with Amazon about this, though I'd hate to go through the hassle of returning them. Or perhaps I'll determine that I don't like them after a while and just get a refund.
Sounds like you have received a returned pair..
Maybe if you decide to keep them you can ask for a voucher...or a new pair. I had the same experience Philips Fidelio X2 and Amazon sent me a brand new pair.
Good luck and let us know how you feel about the 1990s!

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #3,488 of 4,801
Sounds like you have received a returned pair..
Maybe if you decide to keep them you can ask for a voucher...or a new pair. I had the same experience Philips Fidelio X2 and Amazon sent me a brand new pair.
Good luck and let us know how you feel about the 1990s!

UPDATE: Ok now I found an issue for sure. There is a obvious channel imbalance, with more bass and punchiness on the right side, and it sounds like the stereo is out of phase compared the straight cable from the DT1770 pro.

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #3,489 of 4,801
UPDATE: Ok now I found an issue for sure. There is a obvious channel imbalance, with more bass and punchiness on the right side, and it sounds like the stereo is out of phase compared the straight cable from the DT1770 pro.

Yeah, something screwy is going on. Send that one back.

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #3,490 of 4,801
Yes send them back

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #3,491 of 4,801
Return the unit. You're supposed to receive 1 straight cable, and one coiled cable. And if you are having an imbalance issue, then they are fail. You can also report the vendor to Beyerdynamic.

Oct 3, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #3,492 of 4,801
Return the unit. You're supposed to receive 1 straight cable, and one coiled cable. And if you are having an imbalance issue, then they are fail. You can also report the vendor to Beyerdynamic.

Thank you for confirming this for me guys. I have arranged a replacement though Amazon. Currently I'm listening to them with the straight cable from the DT1770. They sound very good. I'm using the preinstalled balanced pads. They sounds great but are a bit firm and clinch my jaws with the clamping force. Are there any other pads that have a similar sound as the balanced pads but more comfortable?

Oct 3, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #3,493 of 4,801
Thank you for confirming this for me guys. I have arranged a replacement though Amazon. Currently I'm listening to them with the straight cable from the DT1770. They sound very good. I'm using the preinstalled balanced pads. They sounds great but are a bit firm and clinch my jaws with the clamping force. Are there any other pads that have a similar sound as the balanced pads but more comfortable?
Dekoni elite velour or just give the analytical pads a try

Oct 3, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #3,494 of 4,801
The clamp reduce with time. Wait several weeks (when you have the replacement) and if won't like the clamp, then try other options, like the Dekoni's @Cevisi mentioned.

I found the clamp firm but not uncomfortable, even for a long time use (more than 3 hours). The clamp in Amiron is so loose (I didn't like) and in Beyer T1 v3 is in the middle of both.

Enjoy your HPs, I missed mine (I sold them to buy T1 v3) specially for metal (now I'm listening to Nightwish and T1 do a good job here, but with other bands I missed DT 1990, maybe they are more forgiving...). I think that in the future I'll rebuy them :wink: now it's time for a new DAC-AMP to fully show the T1 v3.

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #3,495 of 4,801
Enjoy your HPs, I missed mine (I sold them to buy T1 v3) specially for metal...

Came to same conclusion. Recently (and finally) got the T1.2 with A2 amp. Very nice combo for relaxing listening. But quickly realised that I’m gonna keep my DT1990 as well as they are better suited for energetic rock&metal music. DT1990 with A pads and A2 amp are very nice together for anything fast and energetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back