Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 17, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #3,466 of 4,782
I'm considering the DT1990 as perhaps my next headphone purchase. Looking for a very comfortable open-back headphone that I can wear for hours on end during gaming or listening to music. DT1990 might potentially fit the bill. What would be one way to tame the treble spike though? By getting one of those driver covers from Beyer? Not sure yet I'll like the big treble spike.
All person taste. I can 100% tell you the treble has come down on my pair. Additionally, your ears will adjust. Some people hate the treble immediately. I did not hate it and not sibilant most of the time. Others are more sensitive. Only way to know is to try them. Buy from a place that allows returns. In my case I now love em and can enjoy the clarity. They do have some clamp force so be aware. For me it goes away after a few minutes. They are comfortable, but not like my Aeon's. The 1990's are excellent headphones. 100% worth the time to buy/try and possibly return if don't like em.

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #3,467 of 4,782
I'm considering the DT1990 as perhaps my next headphone purchase. Looking for a very comfortable open-back headphone that I can wear for hours on end during gaming or listening to music. DT1990 might potentially fit the bill. What would be one way to tame the treble spike though? By getting one of those driver covers from Beyer? Not sure yet I'll like the big treble spike.

Comfort would vary from person to person. The DT1990 in my experience has a moderately high clamp force - meaning they will be noticeable even after hours of use. The pads are reasonably cushioned, so it's only a matter of time before they lose their padding.

One way to tame the treble is adding a paper towel in front of the foam that's on the drivers if you take the pads off. Solderdude show's the effects of such dampening on his site of diy-audio-heaven. Another is EQ - which I use to fix the treble tonal balance of the DT1990 because it is too over-sharpened. Depending on your OS, you have Equalizer APO for Windows, or PulseEffects for Linux (not sure about Mac OS though).

Since you're unsure if you'd like the treble spike, it is best if you can demo them at a store. If not, buy from an authorized dealer that can do returns.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #3,468 of 4,782
Changing to the new Beyer pad liners would be a solution. Another would be changing the pads. Since the pad liners are $3-4 a piece, I'd try those first. :beyersmile: You can also EQ, adjusting the 6K and 8.5kHZ bands as needed.

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #3,469 of 4,782
Changing to the new Beyer pad liners would be a solution. Another would be changing the pads. Since the pad liners are $3-4 a piece, I'd try those first. :beyersmile: You can also EQ, adjusting the 6K and 8.5kHZ bands as needed.
I'm curious what are these pad liners?

Regarding changing the pads, there seems to be feedback that dekoni elite velour are good replacements, but then there are others claiming it makes the DT1990 more V-shaped, so I'm not sure what's a good replacement down the line.

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #3,470 of 4,782
I'm curious what are these pad liners?

Regarding changing the pads, there seems to be feedback that dekoni elite velour are good replacements, but then there are others claiming it makes the DT1990 more V-shaped, so I'm not sure what's a good replacement down the line.

Yes dekoni elite velour are a bit vshaped but not overly but its the most neutral replacment pad you can find

But the best part on the elite velour are the wearing comfort for me atleast

The 1990 is also really good equalizable

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #3,471 of 4,782
Yes dekoni elite velour are a bit vshaped but not overly but its the most neutral replacment pad you can find

I guess no one else has tried the other Dekoni options like the Suede?

Comfort would be a plus, but if the Elite Velours reduces that over-sharpened 8kHz peak, that would be great and helps me with EQing it. Cause IMO, the DT1990 stock analytical pads is just overly sharpened-treble. It needs EQ to sound correct, and it takes EQ rather well. With EQ, to my ears, it competes well with the Focal Clear. The balanced pads is less comfortable than A pads.

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #3,472 of 4,782
Does anybody know if it is possible to get official Beyerdynamic replacement analytical pads for the 1990? I looked on the website after searching ear pads and didn't see anything. But there is probably a good chance I may have missed something.

Sep 20, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #3,473 of 4,782
I guess no one else has tried the other Dekoni options like the Suede?

Comfort would be a plus, but if the Elite Velours reduces that over-sharpened 8kHz peak, that would be great and helps me with EQing it. Cause IMO, the DT1990 stock analytical pads is just overly sharpened-treble. It needs EQ to sound correct, and it takes EQ rather well. With EQ, to my ears, it competes well with the Focal Clear. The balanced pads is less comfortable than A pads.
A few people tried other dekoni pads but they alwas prefer elite velour

Here you can see all the dt 1990 dekoni pads measurements
https://dekoniaudio.com/beyerdynamic-dt1990-measurements/

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #3,474 of 4,782
Just a few pics I took today to make an advertisement to sell the DT 1990 (T1 v3 incoming :wink: )

20200912-181009.jpg

20200912-181107.jpg

20200912-181158.jpg
Don’t be too hasty. I’ll never sell my DT1990s even though I’ve just bought the T1.2. Love them both.

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #3,475 of 4,782

Does this improve comfort over stock pads? I have been looking at these for awhile but I am quite sensitive to clamp force

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #3,476 of 4,782
Hi there, treble is very subjective I guess. I have no issues with it, can listen to my 1990 for hours without any fatigue, others will tell you the opposite.
I second the advice to buy with possibility to return them, but you may find there is nothing to tame.
It is also a matter of how you will use them. My 1990 sounds better with my lake people amp than the monolith thx, the latter being a bit colder and closer to fatiguing.
Another way to tame it is a passive filter like those sold on diy audioheaven, but again, try them first, you may love them as they are

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #3,478 of 4,782
Hi there, treble is very subjective I guess. I have no issues with it, can listen to my 1990 for hours without any fatigue, others will tell you the opposite.
I second the advice to buy with possibility to return them, but you may find there is nothing to tame.
It is also a matter of how you will use them. My 1990 sounds better with my lake people amp than the monolith thx, the latter being a bit colder and closer to fatiguing.
Another way to tame it is a passive filter like those sold on diy audioheaven, but again, try them first, you may love them as they are
I actually got to try the TYGR 300 R headphones from Beyer. They sound pretty good and aren't bright at all (they're tuned quite differently from the typical Beyer sound I guess).

However, I've come to realize that Beyer might just not be for me. All their over-ear headphones are essentially the same size, and for my ears the cups are just too small and shallow. The sides and the driver rub up against my ears. I couldn't wear these for long stretches at all.

So unless something like a DT1990 or Amiron Home somehow have significantly bigger (diameter) and deeper earcups, I guess it's a no. Yeah different pads might have that, but it'll also significantly change the sound.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #3,479 of 4,782
I actually got to try the TYGR 300 R headphones from Beyer. They sound pretty good and aren't bright at all (they're tuned quite differently from the typical Beyer sound I guess).

However, I've come to realize that Beyer might just not be for me. All their over-ear headphones are essentially the same size, and for my ears the cups are just too small and shallow. The sides and the driver rub up against my ears. I couldn't wear these for long stretches at all.

So unless something like a DT1990 or Amiron Home somehow have significantly bigger (diameter) and deeper earcups, I guess it's a no. Yeah different pads might have that, but it'll also significantly change the sound.

The T1 and T5 have notably deeper earcups. The Amiron Home is slightly bigger in diameter but isn't really deep, the light clamp of the Amiron Home makes the shallowness tolerable to me at least.

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #3,480 of 4,782
The T1 and T5 have notably deeper earcups. The Amiron Home is slightly bigger in diameter but isn't really deep, the light clamp of the Amiron Home makes the shallowness tolerable to me at least.
Ok, but also a notably higher price :)

It's too bad, I have the Beyer Xelento IEMs and I think they sound fantastic (based on frequency response graphs, I'd guess similar to the Amiron Home, smooth and warm).

Would've liked to have owned an over-ear with those Tesla drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back