Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jun 6, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #3,196 of 4,782
Jun 6, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #3,197 of 4,782
Did you guys EQ your DT 1990 Pro?

I have tried the balance pads without EQ and with this AutoEQ settings in Roon.
Also i have tried the analytical pads without and with this AutoEQ settings.
Both settings are to dull (harmanish) for my opinion, i think i go with balance pads and EQ down 8,3kHz a bit.

Seems i need to use Equalizer APO with Peace to make it systemwide when i not use Roon.
I like the balanced more too. I had a burn in effect after 60-70 hours. Brain or driver don't matter. Dekonie elite velour smooth things out a little bit for me

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #3,198 of 4,782
I like the balanced more too. I had a burn in effect after 60-70 hours. Brain or driver don't matter. Dekonie elite velour smooth things out a little bit for me

Just ordered the last pair of Dekoni Audio Elite Velour Earpads at the offical german reseller.
Let's see if they fix some things up for me.

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #3,199 of 4,782
No EQ here. Actually, I don't use EQ at all with anything I have.

Same here - I don't EQ my headphones or speaker setups unless it's for a mechanical reason, eg lowering bass to save small bookshelf speakers. I have nothing against EQ and feel it's a powerful tool when used correctly but after years of being a musician and audio person just prefer the simplicity of something that sounds how I want it to from the start.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #3,200 of 4,782
It took a weekend but now my brain adjusted to signature of the DT 1990 and now i am good with it, even without EQ.
I am still gonna try the Dekoni pads when they arrive.

Jun 8, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #3,201 of 4,782
It took a weekend but now my brain adjusted to signature of the DT 1990 and now i am good with it, even without EQ.
I am still gonna try the Dekoni pads when they arrive.
How is the pairing with the smsl stack is it clean does it have impact and slam ? Did you try it with other sources to compare ?

The dekoni pads are my favorite

Jun 8, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #3,202 of 4,782
How is the pairing with the smsl stack is it clean does it have impact and slam ? Did you try it with other sources to compare ?

The dekoni pads are my favorite
Indeed. Enjoying the Elite Velours as I type. I also have the Hybrids on their way. I received the Brainwavz Hybrids, and I didn't care for them much. Too much PU pleather, plus they get warm. I did enjoy the bass boost, plus my old Sony cans have sheepskin leather cups, so I felt the Hybrids were worth a try. The BW Hybrids meshed well with my Sylvania tubes.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #3,203 of 4,782
Hey guys. I've become very interested in these lately, as I'm after a pair of cans for producing and mixing music (electronic, bass centric).
I'm after something neutral and 'pro' but not too harsh in the highs for longer sessions. That's my potential reservation about these, but with the Balanced pads the highs should be tamed a bit?

The other headphones I'm considering are LCD-X ($$$), Focal Elex or Adam SP-5 (or Ultrasone Signature Studios...super similar)

I think I will rule out the Adams/Ultrasone because I would prefer something Open back...

So really it is starting to come down to LCD-X vs DT1990Pros vs Elex...

Anyone here got any thoughts on what would be the best bet? I love Beyer's especially the light weight and comfort, my last full size pair were the T70s which I didn't keep for long because they were too bright for my tastes for enjoying music. I also loved my portable DT1350s for a long time, but the fit/seal was fiddly. Excellent sound signature though and I thought they were fairly neutral while still going deep into the sub bass.

Seeing I'm going to be using this pair of headphones for mostly bass-focused production, can the DT1990Pros deliver, or should I save up for the LCD-Xs? Which would be more 'neutral' ?

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #3,204 of 4,782
Hey guys. I've become very interested in these lately, as I'm after a pair of cans for producing and mixing music (electronic, bass centric).
I'm after something neutral and 'pro' but not too harsh in the highs for longer sessions. That's my potential reservation about these, but with the Balanced pads the highs should be tamed a bit?

The other headphones I'm considering are LCD-X ($$$), Focal Elex or Adam SP-5 (or Ultrasone Signature Studios...super similar)

I think I will rule out the Adams/Ultrasone because I would prefer something Open back...

Anyone here got any thoughts on what would be the best bet? I love Beyer's especially the light weight and comfort, my last full size pair were the T70s which I didn't keep for long because they were too bright for my tastes for enjoying music. I also loved my portable DT1350s for a long time, but the fit/seal was fiddly. Excellent sound signature though and I thought they were fairly neutral while still going deep into the sub bass.

Seeing I'm going to be using this pair of headphones for mostly bass-focused production, can the DT1990Pros deliver, or should I save up for the LCD-Xs? Which would be more 'neutral' ?
DT 1990 is very bright no doubt. I think you should look elsewhere. I heard that Elex is less bright but not sure about it's bass performance. Planars are good. I'd say go with LCD-X. Check out other LCD headphones too. I would recommend Hifiman but their focus is more neutral sound. They have bass but not pressurized and punchy like Audeze. Though Ananda is price/performance king in my opinion.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #3,205 of 4,782
Indeed. Enjoying the Elite Velours as I type. I also have the Hybrids on their way. I received the Brainwavz Hybrids, and I didn't care for them much. Too much PU pleather, plus they get warm. I did enjoy the bass boost, plus my old Sony cans have sheepskin leather cups, so I felt the Hybrids were worth a try. The BW Hybrids meshed well with my Sylvania tubes.
Well i am super interested in opinions on the dekoni pads. Almost sealed the deal on the velours and the hybrids the day before last but decided to wait and do a bit more research first. So everyone with an opinion please chime in 🤘

Jun 8, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #3,206 of 4,782

I don't find the DT1990 to be harsh in the treble at all, at least compared to Beyer's previous offerings. However if you're looking at producing bass-centric music then the DT1770 might be more you're ticket without having to go to the expense of the LCD-X.

That said I've used the DT1990 for doing the same thing, and it's good.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #3,207 of 4,782
DT 1990 is very bright no doubt. I think you should look elsewhere. I heard that Elex is less bright but not sure about it's bass performance. Planars are good. I'd say go with LCD-X.
Thanks. Yeah I'm leaning towards the X's and I miss having a set of Planars (haven't since I had Hifiman HE400s years ago).
I do want to experience that punch/thump everyone describes, its pretty unique.

I don't find the DT1990 to be harsh in the treble at all, at least compared to Beyer's previous offerings. However if you're looking at producing bass-centric music then the DT1770 might be more you're ticket without having to go to the expense of the LCD-X.

I did think about the 1770Pros.. tempting, but I do kinda want a set of open headphones to compliment the other closed cans I have.
Tough one! Huge price difference/saving to the LCD-X for sure.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #3,208 of 4,782

The A pads are less peaky than the B pads. The DT-1990 is capable of some authoritative bass, it's just that the pads aren't tuned for that. If you want some slam, then the Hybrids will deliver for you, or use a left shelf PEQ to tailor the bass level for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back