Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
May 20, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #3,136 of 4,784
Sound quality wise, compared to the analytical pads there is quite a difference. There is noticeably more sub bass impact, definition, and extension, and a bit more mid bass compared to the analytical pads. It gives the headphone a slightly warmer sound. It does not have the mid bass bloom that the balanced pads have, but has more sub bass than these pads as well. Soundstage is certainly wider, due to the pads being thicker, so your ears are further away from the drivers. Mids are fuller and richer sounding. There is a bit of warmth present to vocals. Voices have no harshness. Regarding the treble, all the detail is still there, but the brightness of the headphone is now completely gone. The mid treble peak with these pads is non-existent. The treble is completely flat with no peaks anywhere. With these pads, no EQ is needed anymore. The difference in bass with these pads is rather shocking. It is reaching right down into the very low registers.

Edit: In terms of comfort, there is a huge difference. The pads are thicker, and feel like pillows on the ears. They are very soft. My ears do not touch the drivers at all.

Edit 2: The difference in the lower bass is just so pronounced. The low end is just so rich on these pads. With the treble spike being non existent with these, and the increase in sub bass, it actually sounds a bit like a different headphone. The imaging and separation is the same as before. Everything has a bit more width though due to the increase in soundstage.
Please excuse my ignorance but what pads exactly are you talking about in this post above?

May 20, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #3,137 of 4,784
May 20, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #3,138 of 4,784
If you buy the pads, make sure to buy from Amazon. If you buy direct from Brainwavz, they will not ship them currently. I had to open a case a month ago with paypal to force them to give me a refund for not shipping them. Many other people have had to do the same thing for orders not shipped.

May 20, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #3,139 of 4,784
The brainwavz round velour pads will not go on the headphone. They are too soft, and the lip area is also insanely soft. You cant get them on the headphone. It is impossible to install. I have attempted for 3 hours. They will not go on. Do not buy these pads. Total waste of money. I am not impressed. Please do not say "buy the dekoni pads" either. I am not paying 110 Canadian for pads, which is what they cost here after taxes, That is a bloody rip off.

I wonder if this might be why when I purchased mine, it was suggested to get the XL version. Those fit just fine on my 880s, but of course the mounting mechanism is slightly different. Even with the XL version though, I still had to tug on them to get them over the lip (but not too hard). In a while I can try mounting them on my 1990s and see how easy or difficult that is.

edit: Looks like you finally got yours on though.

Edit 2: The difference in the lower bass is just so pronounced. The low end is just so rich on these pads. With the treble spike being non existent with these, and the increase in sub bass, it actually sounds a bit like a different headphone. The imaging and separation is the same as before. Everything has a bit more width though due to the increase in soundstage.

This is what happened with my 880s and again with the 1990s. It is somewhat like having a different pair of headphones, but I found the stock pads on either to just be way too bright and slightly anemic in the bass. The treble spike is still there, but it's nowhere near as pronounced as it was with the default pads.

those pads look like they are for the DT880 and others that have the pad grab the outer part of the shell instead of the DT1990 that retains the pad in a slot on the shell

You can apply ear pads both ways on the 1990s. I currently am using my old Jmoney pads (that were for the 880s) on them and they are affixed along the outer ring instead of being threaded like on a key ring.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #3,140 of 4,784
The elite velour pads. Are they the same one for 770 880 990 1770 1990 ?

Do they have the small lip or this big stiched one ?

Can i slip the stiched one into the orignal notch ?

May 22, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #3,141 of 4,784
The elite velour pads. Are they the same one for 770 880 990 1770 1990 ?

Do they have the small lip or this big stiched one ?

Can i slip the stiched one into the orignal notch ?
They are same. They remove the stitch. You can slip it into the 1990 ring but it will leak too much and affect the sound negatively. If you install it like dt 770 it's nice. Filter is closer to the driver and there is no leakage or additional resonances.

May 22, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #3,142 of 4,784
They are same. They remove the stitch. You can slip it into the 1990 ring but it will leak too much and affect the sound negatively. If you install it like dt 770 it's nice. Filter is closer to the driver and there is no leakage or additional resonances.
there is just one option to order so i have to slip the over the notch and install it like this

1590168514418.png

May 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #3,143 of 4,784
I am thinking about 3 possible configurations in the near future:

S.M.S.L. M200 + SP200
S.M.S.L. M400 + SP400
RME ADI 2 DAC FS

The SP200 seems to have to much output power/volume for IEMs, while the ADI 2 seems to be perfect for this.
But i am gonna wait until the M400 and the next month releasing SP400 gets reviewed.

I just went the cheapest route for my Beyers and ordered the M200 + SP200.

SMSL.JPG

May 24, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #3,144 of 4,784
Has anyone tested any cheap chinese pads with these? Are they any good in terms of looking for a good-enough fakes of Elite Velour?

May 24, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #3,145 of 4,784
TBH I'm listening my DT 770's more. 1990 is just packing all the sound inside my head and overwhelming. I can't even hear my own thoughts. DT 770 soundstage and imaging is beautiful and surrounds me and give me more space. I like it more. listening this song vocals are so monotonous and shiny without nuance and micro detail on my 1990. However DT 770 making same voice much more finer and loveable. Listening this: DT 770 sounds like holographic, DT 1990 sounds like basic stereo. I don't really like DT 1990 for anything other than aggressive, fast rock/metal music.
DT 770's are 40 year old headphone and i think they are underrated in the ''audiophile'' community.

Dt770 is underrated for sure, sounds great with my m9xx

May 24, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #3,148 of 4,784
Nothing is wrong with v shape when it's done properly. DT 1990 tonality even more fcked up if we are gonna complain about tonality.
What's wrong with the tonality of the DT 1990? To me it sounds very neutral and even.

May 25, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #3,150 of 4,784
Very odd high bass-low mid and 8k emphasis and the overall presentation of the 1990 doesn't help either. Nothing is wrong if you like them though. You can use eq too.
Those are the B pads. If you are going to discuss the DT-1990 sound signature, you need to mention which pads. The A pads offer a better overall balance of the FR spectrum, with a roll-off on the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back