Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #1,156 of 4,782
Its Orthodynamic (planar) and I'm listening to a set of Orthos right now which are from the 70s!
This technology is as old as dirt!
Every technology has compromises, honestly the only way to have everything perfect is to use multiple drivers tuned for different things and make them work together.

Isodynamic, orthodynamic, and planar magnetic are all names for the same technology. Orthodynamic is just the name that gained popularity, I believe they were originally called isodynamic. Regardless it's all the same thing. It's also the youngest of the three main technologies. Dynamics came about in the 30's, electrostatics came about in the 50's. Though the concept of the design on both dynamic and electrostatics is older. The concept of electrostatic earspeakers originates from Eugen Beyer I believe, not the first to implement it, that was STAX with the SR-1. Just as Beyer was the first to implement the dynamic headphone design in the original DT 48, but I don't think he invented the concept. Information on the history of headphones is very obscure sadly.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #1,157 of 4,782
Isodynamic, orthodynamic, and planar magnetic are all names for the same technology. Orthodynamic is just the name that gained popularity, I believe they were originally called isodynamic. Regardless it's all the same thing. It's also the youngest of the three main technologies. Dynamics came about in the 30's, electrostatics came about in the 50's. Though the concept of the design on both dynamic and electrostatics is older. The concept of electrostatic originates from Eugen Beyer I believe, not the first to implement it, that was STAX. Just as Beyer was the first to implement the dynamic design in the original DT 48, but I don't think he didn't invent the concept. Information on the history of headphones is very obscure sadly.
I appreciate the history lesson, but the point was that none of the technologies are "new" and they can all achieve the same thing.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #1,158 of 4,782
I appreciate the history lesson, but the point was that none of the technologies are "new" and they can all achieve the same thing.

True none are new and all reproduce sound. Honestly don't think a truly new technology has really been implemented in decades. A lot of technologies have been done before and come back later after a lot of technological progress makes them more viable.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #1,160 of 4,782
Balanced armature is the youngest of the technologies.
Edit: especially for headphones as they were originally for hearing aids and pace makers.
Actually it's one of the oldest if not the oldest being used in some of the very earliest headphones, before the dynamics. Balanced armature was first used in early telephones I believe and was also used in old horn speakers.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #1,161 of 4,782
Balanced armature is the youngest of the technologies.
Edit: especially for headphones as they were originally for hearing aids and pace makers.

idk how true this is, I think the original BA headphones were used in ship's sound powered telephones in wwii era at least, maybe earlier... though I think it is more accurate if you consider miniaturization which must be more recent

... piezo/ceramic drivers maybe?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #1,162 of 4,782
Actually it's one of the oldest if not the oldest being used in some of the very earliest headphones, before the dynamics. Balanced armature was first used in early telephones I believe and was also used in old horn speakers.

What? Those old telephones are piezo electric / ceramic drivers.
They are not BA.
My grandfather had a WWII telephone from his service in the pacific.
It was definitely a piezoelectric driver.

Sep 30, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #1,163 of 4,782
What? Those old telephones are piezo electric / ceramic drivers.
They are not BA.
My grandfather had a WWII telephone from his service in the pacific.
It was definitely a piezoelectric driver.

Doesn't mean all were all made using the same technologies. It seems balanced armatures are actually the technology used in the very earliest telephones. Of course they have been refined over the years, just pointing out how old the root technology is.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-balanced-armature-receiversdrivers-work

http://asa.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1121/1.4900126

Anyways it would be best to continue this discussion elsewhere, I have gone off topic a bit too long.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #1,164 of 4,782
One of the many reasons I love beyerdynamic so much is because I consider Eugen Beyer the grandfather of modern headphones. Absolutely impressive how many patents they hold in regards to audio reproduction.

Sep 30, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #1,165 of 4,782
One of the many reasons I love beyerdynamic so much is because I consider Eugen Beyer the grandfather of modern headphones. Absolutely impressive how many patents they hold in regards to audio reproduction.

He is definitely the grandfather of modern headphones. Though whether Beyer or Koss first implemented the open magnet dynamic system, I can't say with certainty. History on Beyer is iffy due to WWII and it's aftermath, etc. Whether one likes Beyer or not, they have definitely have been one of the most influential companies in this industry and know what they are doing when making headphones and are well regarded by many despite many finding their treble hit or miss. Honestly I do find the new teslas such as the DT 1990 and Amiron Home do handle treble really well. The DT 1990 is one of the most balanced and universally pleasing headphones Beyer has made. Honestly I do miss my DT 1990, but finances caused by an emergency made me choose between the DT 1990 and Amiron Home and I chose the Amirons because I do such long listening sessions and found them better suited for it.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #1,167 of 4,782
I had to get rid of my amirons and 1990’s recently due to a huge move and I miss them so much but the DT880/600 and DT770/80

Sorry to hear that. Honestly I am content with the Amirons as my go to Beyer, but would like to have the DT 1990 again, loved it for more energetic listening and also portable/semi-portable use. Also miss their more forward vocals. So next headphone I get needs to have present and even vocals.

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #1,168 of 4,782
Loving the back and forth between @kman1211 and @Jimster480. You guys just gave us a quick history lesson in the different types of headphone drivers. Great stuff!! :beyersmile:

Sep 30, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #1,169 of 4,782
Loving the back and forth between @kman1211 and @Jimster480. You guys just gave us a quick history lesson in the different types of headphone drivers. Great stuff!! :beyersmile:

It's definitely nice to see people giving constructive information back and forth. If this were reddit it would have already downgraded to "lol you have no idea what your talking about just stop please."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back