Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 28, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #1,141 of 4,782
Tesla is a dynamic driver just FYI. Its actually just a magnet in the drivers.
Ah, thanks for that. I was thinking it was a different type of driver like the planar drivers are.

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #1,142 of 4,782
Ah, thanks for that. I was thinking it was a different type of driver like the planar drivers are.

The Tesla is an open magnet system dynamic transducer like every other dynamic currently on the market, albeit it's magnet system is unique, the magnet system is one of the most important aspects of headphone design and has a massive influence on the sound. There is such a thing as closed/sealed magnet system, but I think the DT 48 and DT 480 are the only sealed system dynamics in existence. You could argue the sealed dynamic is a different system like a planar as they sound very different. Not sure if anyone will do a sealed magnet system again though.

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #1,143 of 4,782
I know the DT1770s are closed back and the DT1990s are open back, but can anyone compare the sound? I have the DT1770s and I’m thinking of getting rid of them and getting the DT1990s. Thanks!
I own/use both, and I think they are suitable for different uses.
The 1770's are very, very good, and being closed-backed, I tend to use them on the move with my mobile set-up. They are great at both keeping outside sounds out, and keeping the sound 'in'. No complaints from fellow commuters on the train! :o2smile: The bass especially on the 1770's is great, and thunderous.
The 1990's sound more 'open', and less 'boxy', with a more transparent sound, and less 'thickening' in the mids especially. However, being open-backed, they are completely unsuitable for mobile use, and I tend to use them at home exclusively.
BUT I think the difference between the two is marginal, and if you're happy with the 1770's, I would just relax and enjoy the music :) Both the 1770's and 1990's are keepers, IMO.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #1,144 of 4,782
I've only tried the 1770 for a very short time and it was a while ago so I might not remember right, but if I'm not mistaken the basic differences are:

1770 has more bass and sub bass, and more of that "beyer treble peak."
1990 is more neutral, with better imaging and sound stage.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #1,145 of 4,782
I've only tried the 1770 for a very short time and it was a while ago so I might not remember right, but if I'm not mistaken the basic differences are:

1770 has more bass and sub bass, and more of that "beyer treble peak."
1990 is more neutral, with better imaging and sound stage.
I think that the "beyer treble peak" is there to the same extent in both models, but agree with everything else you say.

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #1,146 of 4,782
I think that the "beyer treble peak" is there to the same extent in both models, but agree with everything else you say.

I own both the 1990 and the 1770, not to mention the DT770 and the DT880, and I tend to disagree about the beyer treble peak with the 1990 and the 1770, certainly when you consider how peaky the 770, 880, and especially the 990 can be.

The treble is certainly there with the 1990 and the 1770, but it’s a more rounded and natural treble, unlike the rather metallic treble exibited by the 3 digit Pro DT series. Also, IMO, the treble detail is a significant step up in terms of detail compared to their older bretheren, which is likely to make the new generation a lot more palatable, even if the frequency response in the upper bands is similar to the previous generation.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #1,147 of 4,782
Thanks for all of the great information:)
Another question is what portable amp/dac pairs well with both the DT1770 and DT1990. I have tried the Chord Mojo and it sounds good and the iDSD Black Label is on my list to try. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #1,149 of 4,782
I own both the 1990 and the 1770, not to mention the DT770 and the DT880, and I tend to disagree about the beyer treble peak with the 1990 and the 1770, certainly when you consider how peaky the 770, 880, and especially the 990 can be.

The treble is certainly there with the 1990 and the 1770, but it’s a more rounded and natural treble, unlike the rather metallic treble exibited by the 3 digit Pro DT series. Also, IMO, the treble detail is a significant step up in terms of detail compared to their older bretheren, which is likely to make the new generation a lot more palatable, even if the frequency response in the upper bands is similar to the previous generation.
I couldn’t agree more. I used to own the 770’s 80ohm. Man, I still regard those cans as one of the bargains of the century! A great all-rounder, with a great sound signature. For around £130 in the UK, I still think they’re unbeatable at the price.
But yes, the 1770’s beat them hands-down. I agree that the treble is the main differentiator between the two, with the 1770’s sounding more much refined in the upper registers. But... At what a cost! lol

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #1,150 of 4,782
Thanks for all of the great information:)
Another question is what portable amp/dac pairs well with both the DT1770 and DT1990. I have tried the Chord Mojo and it sounds good and the iDSD Black Label is on my list to try. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
I use a Chord Hugo. Your Mojo should be absolutely fine with both/either.

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #1,151 of 4,782
The Tesla is an open magnet system dynamic transducer like every other dynamic currently on the market, albeit it's magnet system is unique, the magnet system is one of the most important aspects of headphone design and has a massive influence on the sound. There is such a thing as closed/sealed magnet system, but I think the DT 48 and DT 480 are the only sealed system dynamics in existence. You could argue the sealed dynamic is a different system like a planar as they sound very different. Not sure if anyone will do a sealed magnet system again though.
Very informative. I knew that the Tesla drivers were different. Now I have a better understanding to what they are, thanks!

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #1,152 of 4,782
Very informative. I knew that the Tesla drivers were different. Now I have a better understanding to what they are, thanks!

No problem. I'm not the most knowledgeable in this subject, I have a rudimentary understanding of it, there other people who are much more knowledgeable in this. Deep knowledge in this subject is very esoteric, some of which only the truly good headphone engineers may fully understand.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #1,153 of 4,782
No problem. I'm not the most knowledgeable in this subject, I have a rudimentary understanding of it, there other people who are much more knowledgeable in this. Deep knowledge in this subject is very esoteric, some of which only the truly good headphone engineers may fully understand.
Orthodynamic and Electrostatic are better technologies which are difficult to balance also especially with manufacturing costs.
Dynamic definitely has the most R&D dollars today though, since they are much cheaper to manufacture.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #1,154 of 4,782
Orthodynamic and Electrostatic are better technologies which are difficult to balance also especially with manufacturing costs.
Dynamic definitely has the most R&D dollars today though, since they are much cheaper to manufacture.

Electrostatic and isodynamics(planars) are newer technologies but wouldn't necessarily claim they are better, what I gathered is dynamics actually have the most theoretical potential(not saying it's been achieved) of the three as it's design limitations aren't as much as a brick wall as they are on electrostatics and isodynamics.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #1,155 of 4,782
Electrostatic and isodynamics(planars) are newer technologies but wouldn't necessarily claim they are better, what I gathered is dynamics actually have the most theoretical potential(not saying it's been achieved) of the three as it's design limitations aren't as much as a brick wall as they are on electrostatics and isodynamics.
Its Orthodynamic (planar) and I'm listening to a set of Orthos right now which are from the 70s!
This technology is as old as dirt!
Every technology has compromises, honestly the only way to have everything perfect is to use multiple drivers tuned for different things and make them work together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back