Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jul 8, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #931 of 4,790
Sadly you can't go balanced without modding them, that's the drawback of their 3-pin mini-XLR cable.

Thanks for the reply. They sound good as is but I'm just looking to inch out that last bit of resolution and refinement from them. This headphone hobby always has me wanting more.

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #933 of 4,790
Is the DT1990 more neutral, natural and realistic than the DT1770?

The short answer is: yes. The DT1770 may be my favorite closed-back headphone at its price point, but the 1990 is more natural and realistic. The Amiron is probably more neutral. Of the three, my personal preference is for the 1990, but I recommend listening to them all before you decide.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #934 of 4,790
I've owned the DT 770 Pro. Great headphones, but the highs could be a bit harsh. Does the DT 1990 have this issue? And can anyone compare the two or direct me to a comparison?

Also, any comparison of the DT 1990 to the TH-X00 would be welcome too.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #935 of 4,790
I've owned the DT 770 Pro. Great headphones, but the highs could be a bit harsh. Does the DT 1990 have this issue? And can anyone compare the two or direct me to a comparison?

Thanks.

I have directly compared the two and can only say that the DT 770s sound rather flat by comparison. I don't remember experiencing a sharp high with the 1990s. The high in the DT 770s, I have found, vanishes when a better DAC is used.So I didn't hear a sharp high with the 770s on their kit either.

I'm still undecided between Sennheiser HD650 and DT 1990! Clearly the DTs are better (I have compared them directly) but of course more expensive.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #936 of 4,790

Thanks.

I listened to both of these yesterday out of my iFi Micro iDSD BL and I preferred the sound of the DT-1990's over the TH-X00's. I have the balanced pads on my DT-1990's and Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads on the my TH-X00 purple hearts. The Beyer's were more detailed, more extended at both ends of the spectrum, and the bass to my surprised was more punchy and defined on the DT-1990's. Also, the DT-1990's responds well to the iDSD BL's 3D+ feature. The soundstage gets even bigger, becomes holographic and immersive. It's hard to describe the sound with the 3D+ engaged but I enjoy what it does to the visual picture I was hearing. Using the same feature on the TH-X00's didn't expand the soundstage at all. In fact it made them sound weird and took away something from it's sound.

These are my first pair of Beyerdynamic headphones and so far I'm really impressed with the sound. I must say going back and forth between these headphones requires some adjustments on your ears. There is a change in sound delivery between the Tesla driver's on the DT-1990's and the biodynamic drivers on the TH-X00's. You almost have to take a break to get the Tesla sound out of your head before putting on the TH-X00's. If you don't the TH-X00's sounds congested by comparison and I know that they are not. The biggest difference to me is that the DT-1990's sound good with everything and if I had to pick one it would be the Beyer's for that reason alone. It's plus that DT-1990's play well with the iFi Micro iDSD BL that I own as well.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #937 of 4,790

Thanks.

There is definitely plenty of treble presence but I do not find it harsh, and I am quite sensitive to high frequencies. Could hardly take the HD700s and 800s off fast enough -- way too bright. The 1990s are better balanced.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #938 of 4,790
I see some of you have the DT1990 pro and also have/ had Fidelio X2, how do you reckon they compare?

I have had the 1990 and recently got the X2 (and still burning it in) and am liking it so far and feel that it may have more of a 3D soundstage.

So far I am preferring the X2 to my recent purchase of the AKG K812 which is a bit of a surprise to me!

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #939 of 4,790
I see some of you have the DT1990 pro and also have/ had Fidelio X2, how do you reckon they compare?

I have had the 1990 and recently got the X2 (and still burning it in) and am liking it so far and feel that it may have more of a 3D soundstage.

So far I am preferring the X2 to my recent purchase of the AKG K812 which is a bit of a surprise to me!
The X2 is more spacious sounding and has more soundstage width when compared to the DT-1990's. The DT-1990's are more detailed, has more layers to it sound, and has better clarity over the X2's. The X2's has deeper bass while the DT-1990's bass is more punchy and visceral. You can feel it more on your head. The DT-1990's are able to go deep while providing more bass impact as well. It just doesn't go as deep as the X2's to my ears. The DT-1990's are really good headphones! With that said, I preferred the sound signature of the X2's over the HD 650's and is part of the reason I sold them.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #940 of 4,790
Thanks all for your impressions.

I have directly compared the two and can only say that the DT 770s sound rather flat by comparison. I don't remember experiencing a sharp high with the 1990s. The high in the DT 770s, I have found, vanishes when a better DAC is used.So I didn't hear a sharp high with the 770s on their kit either.

I'm still undecided between Sennheiser HD650 and DT 1990! Clearly the DTs are better (I have compared them directly) but of course more expensive.
They must sound really good to say that about the 770! I'd probably say the same regarding the T1.2 compared to the 770. If the 1990 comes anywhere close to the T1.2, it has great value-money. I did find the T1.2 a little too bright though.

I have the HD 600 and its lack of low end means I rarely reach for them. When I owned the 770, I reached for it far more than the HD 600. Part of this are my music preferences: mostly electronic.

I listened to both of these yesterday out of my iFi Micro iDSD BL and I preferred the sound of the DT-1990's over the TH-X00's. I have the balanced pads on my DT-1990's and Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads on the my TH-X00 purple hearts. The Beyer's were more detailed, more extended at both ends of the spectrum, and the bass to my surprised was more punchy and defined on the DT-1990's. Also, the DT-1990's responds well to the iDSD BL's 3D+ feature. The soundstage gets even bigger, becomes holographic and immersive. It's hard to describe the sound with the 3D+ engaged but I enjoy what it does to the visual picture I was hearing. Using the same feature on the TH-X00's didn't expand the soundstage at all. In fact it made them sound weird and took away something from it's sound.

These are my first pair of Beyerdynamic headphones and so far I'm really impressed with the sound. I must say going back and forth between these headphones requires some adjustments on your ears. There is a change in sound delivery between the Tesla driver's on the DT-1990's and the biodynamic drivers on the TH-X00's. You almost have to take a break to get the Tesla sound out of your head before putting on the TH-X00's. If you don't the TH-X00's sounds congested by comparison and I know that they are not. The biggest difference to me is that the DT-1990's sound good with everything and if I had to pick one it would be the Beyer's for that reason alone. It's plus that DT-1990's play well with the iFi Micro iDSD BL that I own as well.
Nice, that's the same DAC/amp I'm using. Glad to hear the 3D+ works well with the 1990, another added bonus. It's amazing if the 1990 extends lower than the TH-X00 because those rumbled...a bit too much to the point of being fatiguing: I ended up selling them and keeping the 770.

There is definitely plenty of treble presence but I do not find it harsh, and I am quite sensitive to high frequencies. Could hardly take the HD700s and 800s off fast enough -- way too bright. The 1990s are better balanced.
Good to hear. The majority of the impressions I've read of the 1990 agree in saying they have far less or none of the "Beyer burn" which makes me more and more certain that's true. I likewise find the 800s too bright.

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #941 of 4,790
I have the HD 600 and its lack of low end means I rarely reach for them. When I owned the 770, I reached for it far more than the HD 600. Part of this are my music preferences: mostly electronic.

Then I'd hazard a guess that you'd love the DT1770s. It's almost as if they were made for EDM and Electronica. I have both the DT1990 and the DT1770, and if it's electronic I'll almost always choose the 1770 over the 1990.

Jul 19, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #942 of 4,790
Then I'd hazard a guess that you'd love the DT1770s. It's almost as if they were made for EDM and Electronica. I have both the DT1990 and the DT1770, and if it's electronic I'll almost always choose the 1770 over the 1990.
I'm sure I would as well. I have a closed back already though and I'm quite happy with: MrSpeakers Aeon. I'm hungry for that airiness and openness that only open backs can provide. But I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #943 of 4,790
...I have both the DT1990 and the DT1770...
I love my DT 770s but it seems you love BeyerDynamic even more than me! How else do the 1990s and 1770s compare? What are the pros and cons of each? Do you think I am more likely to prefer the 1770s over the 1990s given that I so enjoy the 770s?

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #944 of 4,790
I love my DT 770s but it seems you love BeyerDynamic even more than me! How else do the 1990s and 1770s compare? What are the pros and cons of each? Do you think I am more likely to prefer the 1770s over the 1990s given that I so enjoy the 770s?

They're more similar than different to be honest in that there's obviously a family resemblance in the sound. The main difference to my ears is that the the DT1770 has a more forward, but still controlled bass, with a slightly recessed, but still well extended treble in comparison to the DT1990. I also think the midrange is a just a touch recessed on the DT1770, but still retaining musicality.

While the DT1770 excels at electronica, and so does the DT1990, I'd have to say that the DT1990 is probably the better cross genre headphone

Given your love of the DT770, I think the DT1990 would possibly be a better bet for you as it has a more forward treble, and there's also the analytical pads that come with it which supposedly make the DT1990 more neutral - I've never tried them as I fell in love with the balanced pads instantly.

I tend to pair the 1770s with my DFR as that gives a slight boost in treble, and the 1990s tend to live on my Mojo. Both headphones are easily driven and will reach listenable levels out of an iPhone, but the dynamics are lacking on both when used that way.

To be honest I really don't think you'd be disappointed with either. I couldn't make up my mind so I kept both, and both get the same amount of head-time. Also to add that I've yet to hear anything else even at twice the price that betters these two headphones in their respective categories (open and closed), at least as far as my ears are concerned - (Disclaimer - I am a Beyer fanboy, and the Beyer sound just clicks with my ears, so while there may indeed be better options around, they just don't sound that way to me)

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #945 of 4,790
They're more similar than different to be honest in that there's obviously a family resemblance in the sound. The main difference to my ears is that the the DT1770 has a more forward, but still controlled bass, with a slightly recessed, but still well extended treble in comparison to the DT1990. I also think the midrange is a just a touch recessed on the DT1770, but still retaining musicality.

While the DT1770 excels at electronica, and so does the DT1990, I'd have to say that the DT1990 is probably the better cross genre headphone

Given your love of the DT770, I think the DT1990 would possibly be a better bet for you as it has a more forward treble, and there's also the analytical pads that come with it which supposedly make the DT1990 more neutral - I've never tried them as I fell in love with the balanced pads instantly.

I tend to pair the 1770s with my DFR as that gives a slight boost in treble, and the 1990s tend to live on my Mojo. Both headphones are easily driven and will reach listenable levels out of an iPhone, but the dynamics are lacking on both when used that way.

To be honest I really don't think you'd be disappointed with either. I couldn't make up my mind so I kept both, and both get the same amount of head-time. Also to add that I've yet to hear anything else even at twice the price that betters these two headphones in their respective categories (open and closed), at least as far as my ears are concerned - (Disclaimer - I am a Beyer fanboy, and the Beyer sound just clicks with my ears, so while there may indeed be better options around, they just don't sound that way to me)

This is really helpful, thanks. I really enjoyed the sound of the 1990s when I auditioned them last week. I plan to head over to Heilbron this summer, visit their home shop. I'll try the 1770s when I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back